Page 136 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1845

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

A simple Google search of “CDC mask studies” takes the internet surfer to this continuously updated page on the effectiveness of masking. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...sars-cov2.html

The CDC has the most up to date information on the majority of questions that pertain to COVID…all written on an 8th grade level but complete with references to the original studies so that people can weigh the strengths and weaknesses of the evidence for themselves if they don’t trust the CDC. All one needs to do is type “CDC” before the question…
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    A simple Google search of “CDC mask studies” takes the internet surfer to this continuously updated page on the effectiveness of masking. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...sars-cov2.html

The CDC has the most up to date information on the majority of questions that pertain to COVID…all written on an 8th grade level but complete with references to the original studies so that people can weigh the strengths and weaknesses of the evidence for themselves if they don’t trust the CDC. All one needs to do is type “CDC” before the question…
    Updated last month. But that's not what's been pushed for the last 2 years! Cloth masks, bandanas, blue masks... You almost never ever saw a n95 and the ones you did see were probably Chinese knockoffs.

Anything is better than nothing right? But now thats apparently just facial decorations or whatever that lady doctor said on CNN.

We were told to wear any mask and stand 6ft apart. Cool! Maybe they kinda sorta worked in passing. You pass another shopper as you both go about your business. Both people moving in different directions at a certain speed, the air flow created by that, the fact that you both were probably not exhaling/inhaling at the same time, plus the whatever covering over your face....all this combined together probably had some effect somewhere but then the shopper get to the line. And all those people wearing facial decorations stood in one spot breathing, only to move into someone else's cloud of mucus after a few minutes. And that person moves into someone else's. All with poorly fitted and apparently now not effective facial coverings.

Sure, in the beginning there was probably some percentage of guestimating by select few top scientist but how long do you think that really lasted? And besides the CDC just tweeted a BS study about children's risk of diabetes after covid.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    There were a few months here where you weren't required to wear masks of you were vaccinated. But things change.

The hallmark of scientific thought is that it takes into account new developments and allows for the possibility that you may be wrong.

It does still appear that the vaccine reduces overall severe side effects.

Anyways, here's a snap from my workplace detailing stats collected through the entire system, which includes 26 hospitals.

Bear in mind the definition of "fully vaccinated" here includes a booster.

I'd be interested in seeing a more in depth breakdown personally, but I'm not too stressed about the vaccine being ineffective or dangerous, even knowing a couple of people who developed myocarditis (and recovered very quickly)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Hospitalized with or hospitalized from? ICU and vent patients typical age?

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Updated last month. But that's not what's been pushed for the last 2 years! Cloth masks, bandanas, blue masks... You almost never ever saw a n95 and the ones you did see were probably Chinese knockoffs.

Anything is better than nothing right? But now thats apparently just facial decorations or whatever that lady doctor said on CNN.

We were told to wear any mask and stand 6ft apart. Cool! Maybe they kinda sorta worked in passing. You pass another shopper as you both go about your business. Both people moving in different directions at a certain speed, the air flow created by that, the fact that you both were probably not exhaling/inhaling at the same time, plus the whatever covering over your face....all this combined together probably had some effect somewhere but then the shopper get to the line. And all those people wearing facial decorations stood in one spot breathing, only to move into someone else's cloud of mucus after a few minutes. And that person moves into someone else's. All with poorly fitted and apparently now not effective facial coverings.

Sure, in the beginning there was probably some percentage of guestimating by select few top scientist but how long do you think that really lasted? And besides the CDC just tweeted a BS study about children's risk of diabetes after covid.

Can you expand on why you consider this study to be BS? I read it at https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7102e2.htm .

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Hospitalized with or hospitalized from? ICU and vent patients typical age?

I personally in my community know 5 people who have died from it, 23, 48, 60, 67, 85. All were healthy for their age. My great aunt, the 85 year old was vaccinated, the other 4 weren't. Her husband got it as well and had recovered enough at 89 to be physically fine at her funeral.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for the link, @Sensei. I only wish the CDC had links to their cited studies, as I will want to review them myself. I’m particularly interested in how many had control groups, and are peer-reviewed. Because, unlike prior to 18 months ago, I don’t trust the CDC anymore. Or, more specifically, I don’t trust the CDC’s management anymore. I’m sure there are still lots of good scientists still there.

I found it interesting to see the range of assessed mask effectiveness. Does mask use reduce infections by 1-2%? Or 9-10%? Or 77-79%? Or do unmasked students have 350% as many “outbreaks” as masked students? Because there are studies that give all of those numbers. I’d have expected to see assessed effectiveness clustered around a general range, but they’re all over the map, which makes me question the methodologies that led to those extremely diverse results.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

Site Supporter
    Thanks, @0ddl0t

I’d heard of the Arizona study, and of the serious methodology issues, as well as the researchers’ and the CDC’s refusal to let anyone see the raw data, or even which schools were studied.

I’d also heard references to the Midwest studies, and the lack of differentiation between the effects of masks vs all the other variables.

This is why I’m still looking for credible, controlled, peer-reviewed studies.

I appreciate your summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Not the variants specifically, but there were at least 3 credible studies showing masks had a positive effect. None of them were super well-executed since it isn't exactly ethical to use rigid control groups and knowingly expose people to a virus, but they looked back after the fact.

1) Arizona schools that had mask mandates had far fewer outbreaks last fall. Among the problems with this study are the fact that masked schools were open in person for fewer days and covered higher socioeconomic districts (where presumably more of their parents were working remotely). Delta was spreading during this study.

2) Midwest jurisdictions with masks mandates in early 2020 had ~200,000 fewer cases than would otherwise be expected, according to a University of Iowa study. The main problem with that study is that those jurisdictions also tended to implement other measures, like lockdowns.

3) A Bangladesh study found ~10% reduction in covid transmission by encouraging mask wearing. Among the problems is that the participation rate remained low - less than 30% of those encouraged wore masks initially and that number declined throughout the trial (vs ~10% of the control group wearing masks). This was during delta I believe

Anecdotal "data point".

Person I work with: Vaccinated, Pfizer, no booster, started feeling bad on Sunday, tested positive today. Runny nose, very tired, muscle aches otherwise no issues. 30'ish, excellent health, type O- blood type, claims his roommate is asymptomatic and gave it to him but swears he doesn't have it. Not sure about roommate's vaccine status.

The facility where I work is currently being hit HARD. Our infection rates/call offs are higher now than they were when the pandemic was in full gear last year when people were getting paid to be "home" for 2 weeks, now you don't get paid to be off.

For reference, other than the few who either died or wound up in the hospital for it, a SIGNIFICANT number of them actually took a freaking vacation and went to Florida or elsewhere and helped spread it around because "they didn't feel bad". I personally think that while it was a noble gesture by our company to try and make people whole who would do the right thing and stay home, we instead just encouraged them to do the opposite by giving them 2 weeks of paid vacation to go and blow their government stimulus money giving the virus to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Can you expand on why you consider this study to be BS? I read it at https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7102e2.htm .
    https://youtu.be/FBUshlyJYJ4

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I personally in my community know 5 people who have died from it, 23, 48, 60, 67, 85. All were healthy for their age. My great aunt, the 85 year old was vaccinated, the other 4 weren't. Her husband got it as well and had recovered enough at 89 to be physically fine at her funeral.
    Between work and family I can probably come up with 200 people that I know of who have gotten covid. All ages, sizes, shapes, sexes. From toddlers to over 80. Even 60+ year old obese cancer patient currently on chemo at the time of infection. One death and one vaccinated (not the same person).

My whole (extended) family got Delta two months ago, at different times. 14 people. The reactions ranged from yea this sucks to laughable. One hospitalized death. Only one person with co morbidities who was vaccinated. Age range for toddler to mid 80s.

From all the people I know who have gotten sick (north of 100 people) my aunt's mother is the only person I know who died. Just over the Thanksgiving time frame.

I used to keep track of this. Keep a journal for my own understanding that was free from news bias. Wrote down everyone's age, sex, physical shape...etc. and reaction to covid. I can list them all off if anyone has a interested.

User Tag List