Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC perspective......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This is out of ‘Nawlins, but bg’s are rolling with the same weapons I’m seeing in down (technically up here). 3 guys, 1 AK pistol and 2 handguns 1 with a drum mag the other with an extended mag.

...snip...

Btw, if you have a throwaway/fake FB account look up the folks that are arrested for violent crimes in your area and check out their friends or people who comment on their posts and you’ll often find picks of them posing with guns. It’s a good way to find out what bg’s or possible bg’s are using in your area.
    Dude should have rabbited.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    We outta have him read up on I-594 and I-1639 so he knows what he's in for in terms of buying guns once he gets here.
    I do need to re-read them. But I read up initially a month or so ago.

Don't worry though, your COVID mask will fit right in here. Seattle folk love them and some are already losing their shit over the new mask rules for vaccinated people and the plan to fully reopen WA by June 30th..
    People in Seattle have shit fits over dumb stuff all the time. I'm sure my new office will have mask rules in place for a while longer too. But we'll see what all happens.

I think most EDC videos are BS. I think most people that do EDC videos show stuff they would like to carry, but very few at all, never mind three reloads, a TQ and two fixed blades, etc. However, you have to tailor your EDC to the threat level in your area.

Case in point, I live in the SF Bay Area about 10 miles south of SF. Up until a couple of months ago, the odds that I would ever be robbed while walking down the street in my suburban neighborhood was less likely than getting hit by lightning. I say that after living here for 25 years and being in the cop business since 1990. Ergo, I carried my not-carrying-a-gun gun: originally a 642 and now an M&P 340 with a speedstrip. I used to carry in a DeSantis nemesis, but now use a Harry's Icon. The J-frame was just there, not because I thought I might have to use it, but because I never thought I would have to use it. I fI thought I might need a gun, I carried a G19 and a J frame in the pocket.

Recently, the BOL bulletins and video have shown cars with 3-4 gangsters rolling up on pedestrians in suburban neighborhoods and jacking them, usually pretty violently. No one has been killed yet, but it's a matter of time. I've got an order for a JM Custom Kydex holster for my new G48 and I will carry that and two reloads now when I'm waling around, not expecting a gunfight.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    What Pat said.....except it's my 226 and 1-2 reloads. Folding knife because I'm an adult man. Added a POM pepper spray about a year ago. Small Fenix 1 cell light in the pocket. Wallet. Phone. Don't have the room or stamina for more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Dude should have rabbited.
    To what end?

I don’t know about you, but 3 young semi-athletic kids vs one middle aged guy in a foot race ain’t exactly odds I’d take to Vegas. Not to mention it’d also be pretty moot if one of the little shits decided to shoot him during any such chase.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Both sides just rationalize their choices... how about a happy medium where you prioritize:

1. Mindset
    2. Physical capabilities / training
    3. Awareness
    etc.

..and about 99th on the list is gear.

The guys who think they can do everything with a j frame are just as ridiculous as those who think carrying two reloads will prevent them from being jacked up by four determined, armed thugs.

The majority of men in this country can’t do a single pull up; let’s focus our priorities...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    To what end?

I don’t know about you, but 3 young semi-athletic kids vs one middle aged guy in a foot race ain’t exactly odds I’d take to Vegas. Not to mention it’d also be pretty moot if one of the little shits decided to shoot him during any such chase.
    -running targets are harder to hit than kneeling middle aged guys in their front yards at contact range
    -shooting a running target while running is pretty hard
    -running gives you more options than kneeling on the ground in front of your house hoping they don’t put a bullet in your head or hospitalize you with a beating
    -if you haven’t gotten out and actually run lately, well, if health permits, maybe do some of that
    -most kids these days only run if compelled to - by a coach during athletic seasons or PE class

A firearm is just one element of one's EDC, of course. In three decades of having a CCW permit I've only drawn and fired my sidearm once and that was to dispatch an aggressive animal (rabies). The odds of needing a gun are relatively low but the consequences of not having one and needing one could be serious, so I continue to CCW. However the other, non-firearm elements of my EDC get used constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    -running targets are harder to hit than kneeling middle aged guys in their front yards at contact range
    -shooting a running target while running is pretty hard
    -running gives you more options than kneeling on the ground in front of your house hoping they don’t put a bullet in your head or hospitalize you with a beating
    -if you haven’t gotten out and actually run lately, well, if health permits, maybe do some of that
    -most kids these days only run if compelled to - by a coach during athletic seasons or PE class
    In the linked article, Ellefritz limited his shooters to two rounds, and they scored >50% of the time. What do you think the odds are on three shooters with no restriction on rounds fired? Even if they didn't hit him, rounds are going all over the neighborhood and into houses. Maybe this guy should have seen it coming, but in the end he took a beatdown and lost an insured vehicle.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...her-bad-advice
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    In the linked article, Ellefritz limited his shooters to two rounds, and they scored >50% of the time. What do you think the odds are on three shooters with no restriction on rounds fired? Even if they didn't hit him, rounds are going all over the neighborhood and into houses. Maybe this guy should have seen it coming, but in the end he took a beatdown and lost an insured vehicle.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...her-bad-advice
    That is one possible scenario. However, they weren’t there to murder. They used weapons to intimidate and steal a vehicle. Do you honestly believe that if the guy ran they would have just stood there and unloaded their weapons in his direction? My bet is they would have taken off in the opposite direction. Also a hypothetical, but a much more likely outcome.

User Tag List