Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Great write-up!

How was the cylinder lock-up with the trigger held back, compared to before the test? Any shaving or spitting? Any loosening of front to back movement of the cylinder?
    I am afraid I am not observant or knowledgeable enough about revolvers to comment. The gun has always felt a little loose to me. I don’t think it is any looser after 2k. And I have no idea what shaving or spitting means?

Revolver tendencies

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I am afraid I am not observant or knowledgeable enough about revolvers to comment. The gun has always felt a little loose to me. I don’t think it is any looser after 2k. And I have no idea what shaving or spitting means?

My apologies! Sometimes I forget how old I am. Back in the day that revolvers dominated the handgun world and terms like TDA or Striker were not around, there were problems common to some revolvers.

When a cylinder is locked in with the trigger forward, the cylinder stop is in the cylinder stop notch with some movement. If it is too tight, it might not engage when the cylinder is spun quickly. So, it will be loose. When the trigger is held back in the firing position the pawl has rotated the cylinder and pushes against the ratchet of the extractor star to lock it in tightly. That’s how lock-up is tested.

Since the front of the cylinder needs a “gap” to allow its rotation, there is a bushing or spacer that holds it solidly on the crane from front to back movement. If worn, it will move too much and cause light strikes.

If the cylinder is not aligned correctly during firing it can “shave” a little lead or copper off of the bullet as it crosses the gap into the barrel’s forcing cone. A small quarter or half circle of lead or copper would indicate this.

If alignment is off, but not enough to shave, it will “spit” powder residue or tiny lead or copper pieces out, sometimes back at the shooter. Too large of a gap, or forward and backward free play of the cylinder can cause this.

Site Supporter
    I am unaware of any attempted 2k challenges with a revolver and had previously thought revolvers to be a bit fragile. My thoughts have been changed by this gun.
    I've read this entire thread over the years, and I definitely don't remember any revolvers. I don't shoot enough to put 2,000 rounds through a revolver in any sort of reasonable time frame, but I've been very curious how it would work out. Thanks very much for doing this.
    Last edited by pangloss; 08-30-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    My apologies! Sometimes I forget how old I am. Back in the day that revolvers dominated the handgun world and terms like TDA or Striker were not around, there were problems common to some revolvers.

When a cylinder is locked in with the trigger forward, the cylinder stop is in the cylinder stop notch with some movement. If it is too tight, it might not engage when the cylinder is spun quickly. So, it will be loose. When the trigger is held back in the firing position the pawl has rotated the cylinder and pushes against the ratchet of the extractor star to lock it in tightly. That’s how lock-up is tested.

Since the front of the cylinder needs a “gap” to allow its rotation, there is a bushing or spacer that holds it solidly on the crane from front to back movement. If worn, it will move too much and cause light strikes.

If the cylinder is not aligned correctly during firing it can “shave” a little lead or copper off of the bullet as it crosses the gap into the barrel’s forcing cone. A small quarter or half circle of lead or copper would indicate this.

If alignment is off, but not enough to shave, it will “spit” powder residue or tiny lead or copper pieces out, sometimes back at the shooter. Too large of a gap, or forward and backward free play of the cylinder can cause this.
    Wow. Thanks for that education. I am supremely ignorant of how this thing works mechanically. I didn’t know til you asked that the cylinder actually moved forward a touch under trigger pull to lock it up. How cool!

In answer: the gap is minimal, closes to even more minimal, and it has not shaved or spat that I ever noticed while shooting.

Hammertime

Beretta Langdon LTT Elite 92

Pistol: Beretta Langdon LTT Elite 92
    Langdon trigger job, D spring.

Caliber: 9mm

Ammunition: Cumulative Ammo Types:
    Speer Lawman 115 grain
    S&B 124 grain SB9B
    PPU 115 grain NATO A-355
    Speer Lawman 147 grain
    American Eagle 147 grain
    Barnaul White box 115 grain
    Wolf Poly 115 grain
    Wolf Lacquer mil spec 115 grain
    Brown Bear 115 grain
    Silver Bear 115 grain
    Magtech 115 grain
    S&B 115 grain
    Armscor 115 grain
    Fiocchi 115 grain
    MEN 124 grain

Dates of testing: 6-9/2018

Total rounds fired: 2905

Stoppages:

3 FTEject held slide open. Closed on empty round when I dropped mag Speer Lawman 115
    1 Stovepipe Speer Lawman 115 grain.

2 FTLBE last 300 rounds.

Malfunctions:0

Breakages:0

The LTT Elite pistol was generally a delight to shoot. I consider it very reliable and accurate, however, around the 800 round mark it choked four times, all on Speer Lawman 115 grain ammunition. I ran it another 2000 rounds after that with different ammunition and had no problems. It would be interesting to re try the Speer 115 grain after this break in to see if it is still problematic.

Toward the end of the test it failed to lock back once in an old surplus mag, and once on a fresh 18 round Mecgar. No oil in 2900 rounds is probably the culprit.

Site Supporter
    Pistol: Ruger LCR 9mm

Caliber: 9mm

Ammunition: Wolf 115 grain Mil Spec
    Barnaul 115 grain white box
    Wolf 115 grain poly coat
    Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ
    S&B 115 grain FMJ SB9A
    S&B 124 grain FMJ SB9B
    Federal HST 147 grain
    American Eagle 147 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 147 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ
    Speer Lawman 115 grain FMJ
    Winchester Ranger T +P 124 grain
    Magtech 115 grain FMJ
    Magtech 124 grain FMJ

Dates of testing: 8/2018

Total rounds fired: 2015

Stoppages: 5 light strikes on steel ammo, 1 light strike Speer Lawman 115 grain. All fired second strike.

Malfunctions: On round 1985 this happened:

First the pivot pin fell out, then the cylinder release fell out. The gun still fired the last cylinder but I needed some tools to get the release and pin back in to open it. Took about 5 minutes to figure it out. Fired the last 30 rounds uneventfully.

Breakages: 0

It is a great, reliable revolver. I abused this gun heavily. Many times the cylinder was too hot to handle on reloads. Nearly perfect reliability. If I had checked screws for looseness more often it would have been a perfect run. It didn’t like Russian steel case but had no difficulty lighting off really hard S&B primers. I am unsure why it had a problem with the 115 grain Speer round, but that is the same ammo that gave my Langdon LTT 92 some fits.

I am unaware of any attempted 2k challenges with a revolver and had previously thought revolvers to be a bit fragile. My thoughts have been changed by this gun.

I found it to be extremely accurate when I did my part (which was not easy) and capable of printing 3-4" groups at 25 yards.

I am unsure what to do with it, as it does not really fit a carry niche for me and it is unpleasant to shoot. Thinking about getting a larger grip for it. But is is absolutely reliable.

Pros: Great ballistics, great reliability, light weight, reliable extraction and relatively quick reloads with moon clips
    Cons: Snappy recoil, difficult but not impossible to shoot well, kinda big and possibly a little heavy for the pocket, low capacity.
    This happened to my 9mm LCR but I caught it before it came out completely. Blue locktite andir wa GTG.

Kept my .357 LCR and traded my 9mm LCR for a G26 9mm

Great review ! These little revolvers are solid!

CZ 75 Compact

Pistol: CZ 75 Compact
    Caliber: 9mm Luger
    Ammunition: S&B 115gr FMJ, PPU 124gr JHP, CBC 115gr FMJ, SIG 147gr V-Crown JHP.
    Dates of testing: 31 August 2018 - 09 September 2018
    Total rounds fired: 2100
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0

Comments:

Purchased the pistol brand new on August 31. It has a test fire date of 10 July 2018. I installed VZ “Frag” grips on it, applied a few drops of RemOil to the barrel and slide rails, and within 10 days fired 2000 rounds of S&B 115grain FMJ, 5 rounds of SIG Elite Performance 147gr V-Crown, 50 rounds of PPU 124gr JHP, and 45 rounds of CBC (MagTech) 115gr FMJ. A total of 2100 rounds, flawlessly.

Not really much to say. It runs.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    Pistol: CZ 75 Compact
    Caliber: 9mm Luger
    Ammunition: S&B 115gr FMJ, PPU 124gr JHP, CBC 115gr FMJ, SIG 147gr V-Crown JHP.
    Dates of testing: 31 August 2018 - 09 September 2018
    Total rounds fired: 2100
    Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0

Comments:

Purchased the pistol brand new on August 31. It has a test fire date of 10 July 2018. I installed VZ “Frag” grips on it, applied a few drops of RemOil to the barrel and slide rails, and within 10 days fired 2000 rounds of S&B 115grain FMJ, 5 rounds of SIG Elite Performance 147gr V-Crown, 50 rounds of PPU 124gr JHP, and 45 rounds of CBC (MagTech) 115gr FMJ. A total of 2100 rounds, flawlessly.

Not really much to say. It runs.
    Is this the all steel compact? If so do you or will you carry it? I always liked that model.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Is this the all steel compact? If so do you or will you carry it? I always liked that model.
    Yes. This is the all steel compact with safety. I carry it IWB with a Triple T holster. It’s heavy, so a good quality rigid pistol belt is important.

Pistols--G26.5, G17.5
    Caliber-- 9mm
    ammo--HST 147g and 124g+P, Lawman 147g, Am Eagle 147g, Angel Fire 147g powder puff(similar amounts of each)
    total--2500+/ea
    stops/malfs/breaks--0

Good to go. Love the aftermarket support compared to CZs....

User Tag List