Thread: Red Dot Proof of Concept Sight

Site Supporter

Red Dot Proof of Concept Sight

Hey all,

My Red Dot on an AR-15 journey went something like this.

Burris TRS-25, Aimpoint ML3, then Aimpoint H2.

I’m happy with the H2 and feel it’s optimal and think that most new red dots are micro dots and similar in shape.

I have an astigmatism and it works great.

I bought a Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS, and I’ve been carrying it EDC for over a year maybe not quite two years. Conceals great and I love the gun. I went MOS as well because I figured a RDS was a matter of when and bought a JM Custom holster with a cut for one.

I went MOS because I knew a pistol-RDS seemed like a prudent decision.

I’m informed enough to know RDS on a pistol are definitely here to stay and they make sense.

I’ve followed this sub-forum. I’m contemplating an SRO, but I figured I don’t have any major regrets (other than the Aimpoint ML3) from how I processed my AR-15 RDS path. I may go with an SRO, but I figured start the conversation. It may prove useful down the road to others.

Also, there are aftermarket plates that are highly regarded?

ETA: What sight is generally well regarded but won’t break the bank?

I think for a “final destination” optic having a battery that can be replaced without removing the optic is almost an included feature now.

What I don’t know is the best MOA for a pistol (seems larger is better which is what the opposite of how the Aimpoints went), but we’re shooting mostly 25 and in.

Also, with the ammo crisis. I’ll honestly probably be dry-firing a lot if/when this goes from thought experiment to mounting on a gun. I am considering trading a Glock 17 Gen 4 in for a second Glock 34 Gen 5.

I’m not a fan of the profile of new sights and prefer U-Notch and the Ameriglo sights with a colored front (orange circle around a tritium vial). I figure this is the next side of this.

I’m considering mounting a weapon light as well (I can pocket carry and have two pocket flash lights, but I’m thinking it makes sense given most folks are advocating dropping tritium vials because they’re distracting with dots, and relying on a light for illuminating the sights).

It’s a modernization of how I shoot, carry, etc.

But it could be fun, and I figured start with the Dot and work from there. If $150-200 vets it out for me, then $500 for an RDS, $100 for new sights, $100 for a new holster, $200-ish for a pistol light. Will make sense, then god forbid I want a duplicate.

If it doesn’t click for me, then I’ll save myself $600-800.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    I'd look at a Holosun 407 or 507.

Considering the market conditions(ie hardly anything in stock and if it is it's $$$) and your budget, I would buy a chpws plate for Rmr footprint. Then I would shop for a holosun 507 or 407c or 407co or a swampfox liberty or justice.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I'd look at a Holosun 407 or 507.
    This

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    This
    I’ll definitely check those two out.

Thanks!

What’s the thinking on aftermarket plates?

I know he can be a polarizing figure but I may check out Sage Dynamics’ to see if there’s plate recommendations.

I feel like we’ll end up on a foot print eventually but right now we’re in the Mlok and Keymod of the RDS.

I’m thinking Holosun looks promising - is there a large window model that’s nice?

I’d be tempted to go with a Delta Point Pro without GJM’s experience. I recalled them being mid $200. They might be inflated with the craziness.

Thanks for the insights.
    God Bless,

Brandon

For aftermarket plates, C&H Precision and Forward Controls Design are the picks. Both get high marks, including from Aaron Cowan (who I have never known to be considered "polarizing").

There is no "large window" Holosun - the 407/507/508/509 all have approximately the same window size. The Deltapoint Pro and some of the Sig offerings have larger windows, but there are trade-offs in how they work (I really, really, really don't care for the DPP'S one button interface, for example.).

User Tag List