Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Primary Machine stopping custom milling

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    100%.

My G48 slide is at PM right now, I slid in under the wire. I’m in at $160.

I’d easily pay $200-$250 considering loss of use of my EDC, having the ability to keep my original slide, and having to pay shipping and insurance both ways.

I assume a new Red Dot Ready machined slide would need me to swap over or buy a parts kit though. No huge deal but if they threw in all that, it’d be a deal.
    @RJ, Brownell’s sells optics ready G48 slides for $239.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod133614.aspx

I have a G43 slide from them and it has been 100%.

Small parts are cheap and I have enough other Glock parts lying around I cannibalized.

Part of my frustration with Primary Machine was their insistence on sending in your RDS with the slide for "a perfect cut". I understand their reasons to a point, wanting to get an exact fit, but it is totally unnecessary and had to add a lot of extra time and effort to each slide done.
    And now with pre-made slides they are finally agreeing, without admitting it, that custom fit pockets are not needed... Perhaps if they had dropped that requirement sooner they could still be offering slide cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @RJ, Brownell’s sells optics ready G48 slides for $239.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod133614.aspx

I have a G43 slide from them and it has been 100%.

Small parts are cheap and I have enough other Glock parts lying around I cannibalized.
    $217 with the first responder pricing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Part of my frustration with Primary Machine was their insistence on sending in your RDS with the slide for "a perfect cut". I understand their reasons to a point, wanting to get an exact fit, but it is totally unnecessary and had to add a lot of extra time and effort to each slide done.
    And now with pre-made slides they are finally agreeing, without admitting it, that custom fit pockets are not needed... Perhaps if they had dropped that requirement sooner they could still be offering slide cuts.
    I believe they were more motivated by a “perfect installation,” than a “perfect fit.” Lots of people strip screws their first install or two, without proper tools.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    So who is the go-to for P30 milling now?

I'd like to put a Deltapoint Pro on one of mine

I don't have any personal experience, but I know John Correa of Active Self Protection had some or all of his P30's milled by Wright Armory in AZ. I'm pretty sure @LangdonTactical worked with them in the past too.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

I don't have any personal experience, but I know John Correa of Active Self Protection had some or all of his P30's milled by Wright Armory in AZ. I'm pretty sure @LangdonTactical worked with them in the past too.
    I’ve had two HK VP9s done by Wright Armory. Very fast turnaround, no issues.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I disagree. As an example, I bought a Primary Machine P09 Deltapoint slide from a forum member here and had to use a rubber mallet to coax the Deltapoint into place. That gives me the warm and fuzzies, like the screws are the secondary and not primary means of affixing the optic to the slide.

My Holosun P09 slide I had done by them came with the optic I sent in installed so i dont know how tight it is, but it sure seems perfect.

By contrast, I had an RMR cut P07 slide done by a different company. The Holosun really wasnt perfectly tight until the screws were tightened down, leading me to feel that the screws were taking a good chunk of the recoil forces.

Similarly, on my LTT RDO slide the Holosun didn't feel totally secured until it was tightened down with screws.

Maybe it doesnt matter.... the aforementioned Holosun on the P07 never came lose in a couple thousand rounds. I just got the LTT so it hasn"t gotten much of a test yet. It just seems less secure than the "custom fit" way.

All of the above would be irrelevent if we could adopt the ACRO or Holosun 509 footprint as an industry standard, just sayin'

Site Supporter
    I'm more than happy with the slide work done
    for me, fit , finish communication etc., I'm just
    a little perplexed, as to why I couldn't get a
    straight answer on screw size (thread / length)
    when I enquired as Id like to have spares on hand.
    The only answer I could get was, we used what
    came with the optic (Holosun)?, unfortunately, not
    much help there.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I’ve had two HK VP9s done by Wright Armory. Very fast turnaround, no issues.
    Heck, just about anyone can do a VP9... but the P30 requires welding up the weight relief cavity on the left underside of the slide- not for the faint of heart, and requires a re-finish job. That’s why it costs at least 3X more, too.

I don’t see this specific service on Wright’s website but have made an inquiry- will update once answered.

The bottom of the DeltaPoint pro optic has a soft metal plate that may have to be urged into place with some gentle hammering with a direct milled installation. That said, I think an HK hammer gun slide is too valuable to direct mill a DP Pro circa 2021.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List