Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    First, I am so sorry that rain forced cancellation of YVK’s USPSA match today, where he was shooting single stack, and would have had content to add to this thread!

Here is my wife’s match video from today.

[]
    Looking good. Nice shooting on the move and shooting into positions.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    First, I am so sorry that rain forced cancellation of YVK’s USPSA match today, where he was shooting single stack, and would have had content to add to this thread!

I am disappoint too. It would've been my maiden SS match. I am no CCforlife/Glock26 but I've been practicing, once a month or so, shooting 190 pf loads out of 35 oz gun so it would've been interesting today. I do think I had a reasonable chance at the division win.

Strong work for both of you today.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

A cursory review of this thread shows that almost all video material here is about the dots. Since the name of this thread is "dot vs iron", I thought it would be appropriate to provide something visual about the irons shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCpPtUtWnhM

Eight mikes, about the same number of makeups on minis 22 yards out, and a joy of shooting partial swingers at 20 and 25 yards, but at no point I stopped having fun zeroing this stage. For the first stage of the year, first time with SS, and first irons stage in 3 years, looks like a solid start.

Those swingers look.... challenging!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Those swingers look.... challenging!
    Our best irons shooters weren't at the match so I didn't get a chance to pick their brains but, in a retrospect, trying to actually land the shots seems like a dumb idea. Should've just taken two quick shots to stop the timer, the result would've been better.

I honestly don't remember such arrays until PCC became a thing (and PCC shooters started to build stages).

My match video from today.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Apropos of nothing but I am still dipping my toes into the water with pistol dots. It's obvious they are the future and it's just a matter of time (and money) until all of my guns have them.

I've taken 3 novice shooters to the range in so far in 2021 (4 if you include me, arguable given how I've neglected my pistols lately ). In their hands and mine, the difference between the G19 with the dot vs. basically the same gun with irons is night and day. Groups immediately shrink in half.

One of those novices is my girlfriend. This is her very first group with my dot-equipped glock, shot from about 20M away, give or take. Optimistically she shoots a handgun once per year.

I think the target speaks for itself really.

That is a damn good group all things considered! I have seen people who have been to a few classes with the typical "vetted" instructors who can't shoot like that.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    That is a damn good group all things considered! I have seen people who have been to a few classes with the typical "vetted" instructors who can't shoot like that.
    Absolutely. I made certain to tell her as much. She had a great time and clearly has a preternatural talent for shooting - she outshot me very handily with her iron sighted 10/22 that I got her for Xmas '18. She made sure to rub it in

Definitely consistent with my observation over the years that, all things being equal, novice female shooters learn much faster and generally just shoot better than novice male shooters. I blame video games

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Apropos of nothing but I am still dipping my toes into the water with pistol dots. It's obvious they are the future and it's just a matter of time (and money) until all of my guns have them.

I've taken 3 novice shooters to the range in so far in 2021 (4 if you include me, arguable given how I've neglected my pistols lately ). In their hands and mine, the difference between the G19 with the dot vs. basically the same gun with irons is night and day. Groups immediately shrink in half.

One of those novices is my girlfriend. This is her very first group with my dot-equipped glock, shot from about 20M away, give or take. Optimistically she shoots a handgun once per year.

I think the target speaks for itself really.
    Holy crap I would be very happy with that group for that many rounds at 20M any day with my Glocks (all iron sighted). I get the same flyers over a dozen rounds.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List