Page 18 of 73 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Phlster Enigma. A game changer in belt free carry?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I’ve been running one for several weeks now. I have had one issue with it; the belt rides up in the rear. It’s not always but sometimes it rides up several inches. I stopped wearing synthetic undershirts and that seemed to help.

In terms of printing it absolutely disappears the gun even when wearing jeans. I have been carrying the 365xl with the enigma. I was only carrying the 365 with a belt. The comfort level exceeds normal carry methods on the belt line. If I can figure out the belt riding up issue I don’t see myself ever wearing on a belt again.

This set up seems to work the best Attachment 66807
    I have the same issue. I find it super comfortable until the belt starts riding up. I still find it more comfortable than anything else I've found.

I'm curious about your mounting. On the slide side of the gun you went to the bottom and in. What benefits did this provide?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have not gotten mine in the mail yet, but I was doing some research on them and found a video showing a comfort modification to the enigma...
    So...would this only be needed if going Commando? I’m genuinely not clear on the Concept of Operations at work here, so I’ll defer to actual Enigma owners.

I got mine in the mail today. Right off the bat the concealment is great. I spent the second half of the day concealing a Glock 45 with RMR in sweat pants and a t shirt.

I’m still trying to get the adjustment on the leg leash right, but that ships work itself out with some trial and error.

I do find the material a little abrasive on my skin, but it’s mostly where it cuts into my squish so skinny guys may have less trouble. I don’t notice it with an undershirt at all, but I may get one of the papoose things to try for when I’m not wearing an undershirt.

This will probably completely replace belt carry for me if the results hold up. Having independent height adjustment between the gun and my pants seems to be the game changer for me. I like the gun to ride a little higher, but if it’s attached to the belt it either has to ride so high that it rolls out and I lose concealment, or my pants have to be so high that I’m basically walking around with a wedgie all day.

I just sent my 43x slide out yesterday, but as soon as it gets back I’ll be picking up a second to use for that gun, which will be my rig for around the house or quick errands.

Site Supporter
    Here's the easy answer for the 'belt' of the enigma digging in.

buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cut the ends of the headband off, to it's like a tube. Slide that over the belt portion and make sure it goes completely around.

Bam, done.

I've found that with the work that I do, there's so much bending/moving/hauling involved that I work the mounting screws for the buckle and belt setup loose after about lunch. Vibratite, reassemble, and no issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Here's the easy answer for the 'belt' of the enigma digging in.

buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cut the ends of the headband off, to it's like a tube. Slide that over the belt portion and make sure it goes completely around.
    I’ll give it a shot. The belt is the only part that bothers me, so the other thing that covers the holster portion too seems like overkill.

I’m having trouble keeping my pants/outer belt from working their way up the holster so at times, I have to fight for a master grip. Probably a belt tension disparity thing or something. It’s going to take a little while to dial it in. I’m also having trouble keeping my DSG holster from rotating. Adjustment tip #1 didn’t work because the posts were too long. I’m using #2 now and it does a little better.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have the same issue. I find it super comfortable until the belt starts riding up. I still find it more comfortable than anything else I've found.

I'm curious about your mounting. On the slide side of the gun you went to the bottom and in. What benefits did this provide?
    Running it closer to the slide pulls the slide more into my body. With my body style, winged holsters tend to pull the slide away from my stomach and it prints more than the grip for me. This slight adjustment gave me better concealment.

Running it at the lowest holes tilted the butt of the gun down just slightly. With the sig 365 series the front of the magazine is what prints the most on the grip for me. This dropped the angle of the grip down to more horizontal.

To me this fine tuning is what the enigma really excels at. It is a pain to set up. I've probably spent 2-3 hours setting it up, making tweaks but now that I have it where I want it's good and I just throw it on.

I will say another "downside" to this thing is having to take it off in the car and put it back on when I go somewhere that I have to de-gun. I can get it back on but you really need to be standing and drop the pants down to properly put it on. Otherwise it's going to ride up like crazy.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    So...would this only be needed if going Commando? I’m genuinely not clear on the Concept of Operations at work here, so I’ll defer to actual Enigma owners.
    It's made for normal use. There are some sharp edges on the unit and the belt has been reported to cause some skin issues for some. There is an individual selling a custom made papoose for the enigma to help with comfort. This is just my personal opinion but I think what we are all trying now is enigma version 1. There will be more with upgrades and better comfort options. Phlster has mentioned there are going to be dedicated holsters and other items coming forth for the enigma. Also my personal opinion but I really do believe this thing is the beginning of a revolution in the concealed carry industry. It has some issues with comfort but no more than a normal gun belt and holster setup imo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Running it closer to the slide pulls the slide more into my body. With my body style, winged holsters tend to pull the slide away from my stomach and it prints more than the grip for me. This slight adjustment gave me better concealment.

Running it at the lowest holes tilted the butt of the gun down just slightly. With the sig 365 series the front of the magazine is what prints the most on the grip for me. This dropped the angle of the grip down to more horizontal.

To me this fine tuning is what the enigma really excels at. It is a pain to set up. I've probably spent 2-3 hours setting it up, making tweaks but now that I have it where I want it's good and I just throw it on.

I will say another "downside" to this thing is having to take it off in the car and put it back on when I go somewhere that I have to de-gun. I can get it back on but you really need to be standing and drop the pants down to properly put it on. Otherwise it's going to ride up like crazy.
    I carry my 26 or my 19 in a Jm kydex 2.0 and I have the same issue of the slide more so than the grip. I have not tried the lower setting. I will try the adjustment. I have tweaked but found a way that works pretty good and then I called it good.

When I de-gun. I normally just unbutton the bottom few shirt buttons that are exposed and remove gun. When I get back I just reverse the process. I would probably remove holster is if I had to go through a metal detector. One thing I have found for removing is if I run my hand through my zipper I can undo the leg leash. This has made removing the Enigma easier.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I carry my 26 or my 19 in a Jm kydex 2.0 and I have the same issue of the slide more so than the grip. I have not tried the lower setting. I will try the adjustment. I have tweaked but found a way that works pretty good and then I called it good.

When I de-gun. I normally just unbutton the bottom few shirt buttons that are exposed and remove gun. When I get back I just reverse the process. I would probably remove holster is if I had to go through a metal detector. One thing I have found for removing is if I run my hand through my zipper I can undo the leg leash. This has made removing the Enigma easier.
    I also sand off about about 1/4” of the wing where it interfaces with the enigma or a belt. I have to do this on all holsters. When I carried a Glock I would completely remove the vertical portion of the wing that provides the camming action.

User Tag List