Page 85 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I love the Harrison rear. The install was WAY past my basement gunsmithing skill, and the local smith was cussing a blue streak to get it fitted. But, it's solid, the picture is great, and I have no doubt I could beat a zombie to death with it and not worry even a little about damage...
    Yeah it was immensely difficult to install that damn rear sight in my gun.

But it's also incredibly durable.

I love the Harrison rear. The install was WAY past my basement gunsmithing skill, and the local smith was cussing a blue streak to get it fitted. But, it's solid, the picture is great, and I have no doubt I could beat a zombie to death with it and not worry even a little about damage...
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Yeah it was immensely difficult to install that damn rear sight in my gun.

But it's also incredibly durable.
    My Les Baer, believed to be a Premier II, was customized by Mr. Harrison, for the previous owner, and has one of those rear sights. I have not pulled nails with it, or used it to collect paint samples from any door frames or gateways, yet, but it seems quite sturdy.

Thanks for the dissuasion, as I had thought about trying to install one on another pistol. I probably would have ended up ruining it, in an effort to make it fit. (I have dovetails files, and a sight pusher, but, I am dangerous, when I try filing anything.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Good to know. I am not too hot at fitting sights to existing dovetails in the best of times... and if it would sent a real 'smith digging into the expletive bag, I'd probably have an infarction given my current attitude about the world in general.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

If you buy the sights from John, he will install them. http://www.harrisoncustom.com/News.aspx

I will continue to design, manufacture and sell Harrison Design parts. As my time permits, I will continue to offer installation of Harrison Design parts available on my web store, supplied by me. This does not include beavertail grip safeties due to the refinishing involved. Thank you all for your friendship and patronage that you’ve blessed me with over the years.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    If you buy the sights from John, he will install them. http://www.harrisoncustom.com/News.aspx
    That might be just the ticket.

Another part of me is tempted to get that gently used 9mm RO and just leave the adjustable rear in place but "de-horn" it; then put some checkered holly grips on it (in place of ivory or bone) and use it as a fun range toy I can dial in. Something that looks a bit like a slightly fancied-up 1911 from the 1960's. I already have a border-tooled, old-school holster that would fit it...

Now that I am an old guy myself, some of the stuff I remember from when I was a kid appeals to me more than it used to.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

As for rear sights; I'm using this one and like it a lot :

https://www.10-8performance.com/1911-nm-rear-sight/

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    That might be just the ticket.

Another part of me is tempted to get that gently used 9mm RO and just leave the adjustable rear in place but "de-horn" it; then put some checkered holly grips on it (in place of ivory or bone) and use it as a fun range toy I can dial in. Something that looks a bit like a slightly fancied-up 1911 from the 1960's. I already have a border-tooled, old-school holster that would fit it...

Now that I am an old guy myself, some of the stuff I remember from when I was a kid appeals to me more than it used to.
    That is exactly how I've chosen to approach it myself.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I think that's a really good place to start. You'll have a very decent gun (if it runs) that can be modified over time if needed. Note that Springfield Armory tends to under-spring their 9mm guns -- I would suggest an 11# recoil spring in place of the original.

Modern adjustable sights are actually fairly robust, though not to the same degree as fixed sights. I've carried Colts with Bomar-style sights and used them at multiple training classes and they were never a problem. Colt rounds the corners on theirs and I prefer that over sharp corners so yeah rounding those off a bit might be a good idea.

Site Supporter
    Shot 1911s this weekend. I was shooting my SA 1911 TRP Operator and my buddy drug out his 1st generation ParaOrdnance P14-45 that was used in USPSA long ago. He started having jams with the Para and we saw that mainspring housing pin had broken and only half of the pin was in place. That is a new failure that I had never seen in decades of 1911 competition. New part on order from Midway.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Shot 1911s this weekend. I was shooting my SA 1911 TRP Operator and my buddy drug out his 1st generation ParaOrdnance P14-45 that was used in USPSA long ago. He started having jams with the Para and we saw that mainspring housing pin had broken and only half of the pin was in place. That is a new failure that I had never seen in decades of 1911 competition. New part on order from Midway.
    I've had a mainspring housing pin crack and it didn't appear to affect the function of the gun. I know others that have had this occur as well.

User Tag List