Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Equipment vs. New Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    If you're going to get a Dillon anyway, get the 650, since you'll want to upgrade to it eventually. Bear in mind that most of the production times people have quoted include actual handle-pulling time but not the time it takes to fill primer tubes, etc. Once you add in those times, production figures can drop sharply.
    I just loaded 1000 9mm in 45 min on the press plus 7 min to fill 1000 primers in 9 tubes and the press using a VibraPrime.

Brass processing will add some time, but I do it in big bulk sessions so I think my total is under 1hr for 1000 rounds on my 1050 with no bullet feeder.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My record for the 1050 / Mr. Bullet Feeder BEFORE I installed the Mark VII was 1000 rounds in 30 minutes. Trust me - you have to be dialed in 100% to pull that trick off.

From the night before last - I had a bud come over with 5 gallons of 9mm brass. We sorted and I fired up the 3.5 cu ft. cement mixer that I use as a brass cleaner. 2 x 10 minute pre-wash/rinse cycles with water and no media/chems. I think the 2 pre-wash cycles are the trick to getting rid of most of the grime early and making the next cycle super-effective. The 40 mins with water, 1 tbs Wash-n-Wax and 1 tbs citric acid. Rinsed, drained, sloppy towel-off, tossed in 8-level dehydrator and went to bed.

Result: 4 gallons, maybe 60 lbs of brass, maybe 8000 cases cleaned. Notice how nice the case interiors are even without media.

All that glitters may not be gold....but that's OK for a reloader! If this doesn't get you fired up, I'll have to find some more new pics...

Name:  IMG_4039.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  102.1 KBName:  IMG_4040.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  82.5 KB
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 10-06-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    My record for the 1050 / Mr. Bullet Feeder BEFORE I installed the Mark VII was 1000 rounds in 30 minutes. Trust me - you have to be dialed in 100% to pull that trick off.

GM level of reloading!

Dialed in is a massive understatement.

The hand loader's focus must always be on safety. Too many people get fixated on speed and start doing unsafe stuff without realizing it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I shoot so I can reload. I thoroughly enjoy building ammo that runs well.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Dialed in is a massive understatement.

The hand loader's focus must always be on safety. Too many people get fixated on speed and start doing unsafe stuff without realizing it.

Okie John
    I completely agree with you.

Actually a RATE of 1000/30 minutes, or faster than 1 round every 2 seconds on Super 1050 equipped with a Mr. Bullet Feeder is quite do-able - for brief periods of time. SUSTAINING that rate for a full 30 minutes is a feat that requires one to basically perfect the brass cleaning and especially QC processes, to have every aspect of the press tuned just right, have 9 primer tubes loaded, and to be able to pull the lever completely and rhythmically each and every time - while refilling primers, bullets, powder and brass as required.

Any tiny glitch that results in a corrective action that takes more than a few seconds to resolve will ruin The attempt to load 1000 in 30 minutes.

The point of the exercise, documented in a thread on Doodie, was more to work out the kinks in my processes and equipment and actually had little to do with proving how fast I could pull the lever.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 10-06-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    Wow. I think I may be getting a progressive. That kind of speed would definitely make it more worth the time to be reloading. Whenever I go out to make ammo, I weigh the time it usually takes against the other stuff I have to give up to do it, and the cost of ball ammo. Sometimes, I load. Sometimes, I go to the store.

But if I could multiply my output by several times without significantly increasing my time in the reloading area, I'd probably stop buying 9mm almost entirely.

Site Supporter
    From the night before last - I had a bud come over with 5 gallons of 9mm brass. We sorted and I fired up the 3.5 cu ft. cement mixer that I use as a brass cleaner. 2 x 10 minute pre-wash/rinse cycles with water and no media/chems. I think the 2 pre-wash cycles are the trick to getting rid of most of the grime early and making the next cycle super-effective. The 40 mins with water, 1 tbs Wash-n-Wax and 1 tbs citric acid. Rinsed, drained, sloppy towel-off, tossed in 8-level dehydrator and went to bed.

Result: 4 gallons, maybe 60 lbs of brass, maybe 8000 cases cleaned. Notice how nice the case interiors are even without media.

All that glitters may not be gold....but that's OK for a reloader! If this doesn't get you fired up, I'll have to find some more new pics...

Name:  IMG_4039.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  102.1 KBName:  IMG_4040.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  82.5 KB
    Did you sort by headstamp?

Sort? I don't, and have had no problems.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List