Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

GJM, or anyone else shooting the Lehigh bullet:

The ad copy says that "The permanent wound cavity of the XP is from two to four times greater than what a flat or ball nose bullet generates and often larger than traditional expanding bullets. So what you get is exceptional penetration coupled with a larger permanent wound cavity."

I think we can mostly agree that for penetration, the XP bullet is a very good choice, and I'm sure it does produce a wound cavity larger than ball ammo. Does anyone think there's anything to the larger wound channel claims? Especially compared to a good modern JHP? If true, it would seem theres no downside to this bullet in a woods/field semiauto pistol role, right?
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    ... If true, it would seem theres no downside to this bullet in a woods/field semiauto pistol role, right?
    Downside is cost - loaded Underwood 9mm is $38 for 20 cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Downside is cost - loaded Underwood 9mm is $38 for 20 cartridges.
    Or $38 for a box of 50 for those that roll their own
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    GJM, or anyone else shooting the Lehigh bullet:

The ad copy says that "The permanent wound cavity of the XP is from two to four times greater than what a flat or ball nose bullet generates and often larger than traditional expanding bullets. So what you get is exceptional penetration coupled with a larger permanent wound cavity."

I think we can mostly agree that for penetration, the XP bullet is a very good choice, and I'm sure it does produce a wound cavity larger than ball ammo. Does anyone think there's anything to the larger wound channel claims? Especially compared to a good modern JHP? If true, it would seem theres no downside to this bullet in a woods/field semiauto pistol role, right?
    In the Clear gel I shot, the Winchester ball had the largest permanent “wound cavity” followed by the Lehigh and then my handload was a clearly in last place with very little “wound cavity”. I’m not sure how meaningful the “wound cavity” is in gel but that’s what I see.

I took some pictures but when I up loaded them there was too much glare to see them well. I will try again next week.

As far as penetration, both 230gr ball rounds did better. Theoretically the Lehigh should do better on hard objects but so far I haven’t seen any anything yet to support that.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

The advantage of the Lehigh bullet, is by construction, I believe it is a monolithic solid. I would worry about the typical, jacket over soft lead constructed FMJ ball bullet coming apart when it hit something hard like a skull, or deflecting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The advantage of the Lehigh bullet, is by construction, I believe it is a monolithic solid. I would worry about the typical, jacket over soft lead constructed FMJ ball bullet coming apart when it hit something hard like a skull, or deflecting.
    I agree. I also think this bullet design benefits from higher velocity. Something the .45 just can't give it. One thousand feet per second may be a lot for the .45 but I don't think its fast enough for this bullet.

Here is a very informative video on the 10mm Lehigh shot into bullet proof glass.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

The Lehigh is also using false marketing claims on the wound channel, ballistics gel is NOT intended to display wound characterstics in any way... excepting penetration... which can vary greatly depending on tissue/bone makup. Saying four times wound diameter over hollow point just is a flat out lie when you are saying that based of ballistics gel wound appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    The Lehigh is also using false marketing claims on the wound channel, ballistics gel is NOT intended to display wound characterstics in any way... excepting penetration... which can vary greatly depending on tissue/bone makup. Saying four times wound diameter over hollow point just is a flat out lie when you are saying that based of ballistics gel wound appearances.
    I defer to DOCGKR on what ballistics gel is designed to test, but I have a absolutely shocked face that a boutique ammo manufacturer would make wild claims.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I defer to DOCGKR on what ballistics gel is designed to test, but I have a absolutely shocked face that a boutique ammo manufacturer would make wild claims.
    Next they will tell us that gambling is going on at Rick's place!

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I finally got around to shooting a .45ACP round into some Clear Ballistics gel. It didn't performe as well as I had hoped. You can read about it here.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.c...balistics-gel/
    From https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...eme-penetrator

Inches of penetration into FBI standard 10% ballistics gelatin after 4 layers of denim

44 Remington Magnum 220gr Xtreme Penetrator @ 1,200 FPS...32.0 inches
    45 Colt 250gr 30,000 PSI High Pressure Load @1,100 FPS........32.0 inches
    9mm Luger 115gr @ 1,150 FPS............................................30+ inches
    45 Colt 250gr @ 850 FPS............................................... ....28.0 inches
    44 Special 220gr @750 FPS............................................... .27.5 inches
    45 ACP +P 200gr @950 FPS............................................... .27.0 inches
    357 Mag 140gr @ 1,250 FPS from 4" barrel............................27.0 inches
    357 SIG 115gr @ 1,325 FPS............................................... 27.0 inches
    10mm Auto 140gr @ 1,200 FPS...........................................26.0 inches
    40 S&W 140gr @ 1,050 FPS............................................... .21.5 inches
    38 Special +P 140gr @ 850 FPS...........................................17.0 inches
    380 Auto 90gr Xtreme Penetrator @ 950 FPS.........................17.0 inches

User Tag List