Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Larger caliber semi-auto

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For just dumb reasons, haven't had a chance to shoot the Wilson yet. Today, even though it was blowing 35+, we decided to shoot it at the end of our practice session.

TPC says that controlling recoil with the carbine is, in this order, stance, grip, muzzle device, then lightened bolts and other minutia. I handed my wife the Wilson .308, and didn't say anything other than shoot it. Initially, it pushed her back as she was expecting 5.56 AR recoil, and then after getting her stance more aggressive with her foot back and weight forward, she was able to control it much better.

The gun functioned just fine, recoil was about what you would expect out of a 7 pound .308, but it was too windy to shoot groups at distance.

I’m glad the gun is running well so far.

A Warcomp timed correctly will take the 2’oclock muzzle rise out and make it track vertical. I do not find it to be obnoxious like most compensating devices. Unfortunately it wouldn’t be timed correctly for your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won’t know until it arrives. This is how it works. I call Bill, tell him what I am wanting to do, he thinks on it, talks to his guys, and then something appears.
    This is by far the best approach to ordering a custom rifle.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Except for special circumstances, like stalking animals, or certain cover in bear country, we have historically been empty chamber in shotguns, lever and bolt guns when in the field. The AR does not seem conducive to quickly chambering or to multiple chambering/unchambering cycles with the same round, so we will have to consider this.
    I’ve humped M-16s of one flavor or another more miles than I care to count, always in Condition One. I’d go that route. I understand if that makes you hesitant—I knew plenty of guys who would let me patrol behind them with a belt-fed MG in Condition One but would flip out if I showed up with a cocked-and-locked 1911 or BHP.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Making progress:

Name:  00A7DEBA-1B0E-44F2-BF2E-2D31DB37D4C1.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  67.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’ve humped M-16s of one flavor or another more miles than I care to count, always in Condition One. I’d go that route. I understand if that makes you hesitant—I knew plenty of guys who would let me patrol behind them with a belt-fed MG in Condition One but would flip out if I showed up with a cocked-and-locked 1911 or BHP.

Okie John

Just focused on the quote in your Sig line:

“The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard“

I had the distinct honor to know Finn, and at a Jeff Cooper Whittington reunion, break two successive thrown clay pigeons with Finn’s Mauser .30-06 rifle. Probably couldn’t repeat it no matter how hard I tried.

“The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard“

I had the distinct honor to know Finn, and at a Jeff Cooper Whittington reunion, break two successive thrown clay pigeons with Finn’s Mauser .30-06 rifle. Probably couldn’t repeat it no matter how hard I tried.
    I thoroughly enjoyed his writing, and would loved to have been able to sit and converse with him.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I've long thought Finn Aagard was one of the very best of the outdoor writers.

His views on CCW were very down to earth as well.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Making progress:

Name:  00A7DEBA-1B0E-44F2-BF2E-2D31DB37D4C1.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  67.8 KB
    Looks fantastic G. I do love that Wilson green. The Swaro seems to be perfect in this role as well. Curious, given the popularity of having iron sights in the Scout Rifle thread, and also how prolific they are on dangerous game rifles, do you plan to run any BUIS on this? The Magpul MBUS set weighs a combined 2.5oz, so they can be had with little weight penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Looks fantastic G. I do love that Wilson green. The Swaro seems to be perfect in this role as well. Curious, given the popularity of having iron sights in the Scout Rifle thread, and also how prolific they are on dangerous game rifles, do you plan to run any BUIS on this? The Magpul MBUS set weighs a combined 2.5oz, so they can be had with little weight penalty.
    Yes on BUIS, just haven’t gotten that far yet, as only got Swaro on today and still have not zeroed it. Maybe a T2 too, for when the rifle is in more defense mode, like when an animal is harvested and we are packing meat.

User Tag List