Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Date of Manufacture for Pre Model 10 M&P Smith and Wesson

Date of Manufacture for Pre Model 10 M&P Smith and Wesson

I know the primary focus on this forum isn't revolver collecting but I'm looking for an assist or to get pointed in the right direction on this one. My LG&FS (Local Gun and Feed Store) has a pre model 10, M&P, with an adjustable Wonder Sight installed on it at a great price and about 80% condition. It's appealing to me in a historic coolness kind of way. I'll be back at the store tomorrow and am thinking I'll probably be coming home with a load of alfalfa and a S&W. I'm trying to find the date of manufacture but it doesn't seem like that info is readily available via an interweb search. The SN is 3663xx. Anyone have an idea on how I might be able to find it? Thanks

Site Supporter

From SCSW it shows anywhere between 1915 and 1942. Closer to 1915 that 1942. 1915 #s started around 241xxx. 1942 finished around 700xxx.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    pictures can help.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I know the primary focus on this forum isn't revolver collecting but I'm looking for an assist or to get pointed in the right direction on this one. My LG&FS (Local Gun and Feed Store) has a pre model 10, M&P, with an adjustable Wonder Sight installed on it at a great price and about 80% condition. It's appealing to me in a historic coolness kind of way. I'll be back at the store tomorrow and am thinking I'll probably be coming home with a load of alfalfa and a S&W. I'm trying to find the date of manufacture but it doesn't seem like that info is readily available via an interweb search. The SN is 3663xx. Anyone have an idea on how I might be able to find it? Thanks
    Second the statement that photos will help us help you.

Starting point - when looking at the serial number on the butt of the gun, if the number is 3663xx and there is NOT a letter prefix, it's a pre WWII manufacture date.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    pictures can help.
    Hopefully will have some pics tomorrow. Wish me luck. If I average the quantity manufactured per year I'm calculating 1920. I know that is a rough estimate at best but it's something.

Yeah, also think that's likely to be an early 1920s gun. Very much post WW1. If you letter it you could probably turn up something interesting connection to the roaring `20s, pictures could still show some interesting proof marks, etc. It's an expensive-ish roll of the dice but can be fun to do.

Even with the post-heat-treat serial I wouldn't make a high mileage shooter out of it.

According to the letter I got from the factory, my .38 M&P, Model of 1905 Fourth Change, s/n 5093xx, left the factory in March 1927. The modification that made it a Fourth Change occurred in 1915 and was produced until 1942. The guns were produced between s/n's 241704 and 1000000. Total production was 758,297.

Mine has a 6" barrel and is still a very accurate gun when I do my part. It doesn't get shot much and it only gets standard pressure lead bullet ammo. My maternal grandfather bought it when he was a reserve sheriff's deputy in Indiana. A fine old gun from another time.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I have one, 471XXX , which was made in 1923. My understanding is that S&W began heat-treating the cylinders of the .38s, beginning with ser. 316648 in 1919. My guess would be around 1921 or '22.

Your best place for information would be over in the Blue Forum.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Well, crap, I only came home with the alfalfa on Friday. The revolver sold first thing in the morning. An “older gentleman” saw it and said he wanted to buy it before they even got it out of the glass case. I shouldn’t have hesitated, especially with a $389 asking price. Having said that, it makes me glad thinking it’s bringing someone else joy.

Thanks for the info everyone. It’s been highly educational!

User Tag List