Page 209 of 374 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 3731

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

I need to stop checking this thread

It will never be possible for me to take generic, micorbrand parts specials seriously.

And yes I know. Even patek Was once a no Name brand that used Lemania movements for Over a century.

All these milsub/seiko/Tudor homage junk divers are not going to be next patek

If you want to support a microbrand, Kari Voutilainen is the way.

Site Supporter
    Duke

Where is the middle ground for you between the sub 1k homages of which you speak and the 100k + " microbrand" you just mentioned?

Putting aside a Casio G Shock or a smart watch (Apple/Garmin/Samsung/Fitbit etc.), what is the most modestly priced watch you wear? Used to wear?

What are some watch geek gateway watches in your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Duke

Where is the middle ground for you between the sub 1k homages of which you speak and the 100k + " microbrand" you just mentioned?

Putting aside a Casio G Shock or a smart watch (Apple/Garmin/Samsung/Fitbit etc.), what is the most modestly priced watch you wear? Used to wear?

What are some watch geek gateway watches in your mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm not Duke (obviously), but the in-house movement Tudors are ~$3K and totally tits.
    Totally concur with the Tudor statements

And I get it - I really do. Some folks just like the way a watch looks and will never care to discover what it looks like and who made that design

Really if you’re not watch guy - buy whatever disposable digital thing you find, they’re all the same and don’t worry with thinking about it again If you want a mechanical but aren’t a watch guy - any Seiko will do just fine.

It looks like a Seiko not like a bad vintage Rolex wannabe And that’s fine.

If you are a watch guy. It makes little sense to throw away money on things with no resale value

I know. You’ll never sell it.

But what it if you have to? It’d be better that It retained more value than less.

To the question of middle ground

My first foray into watches was an early day date.

Which I wasn’t In love with - but it retained value so I could get out it when I wanted to.

Consider this.

A Tudor black bay 41 - reference 79230R with the new movement can be had for $2700 or so

But it’s big, a bit top heavy, has a bit too much faux vintage for purists etc -

So you really need the black bay 58 - which is smaller, nicer and better. Except that it’s $4k

And $4k is pretty much $5k

And $5k is only $700 away form a Rolex Oyster perpetual 39mm (ref 114300) - which is a better watch in every way other than that it costs most but if that’s the issue - refer to the first part of the post.

Which ever way you go - I only get torqued up when folks who don’t know any better call something like a steinhart Or a g shock a “nice watch”

It’s the “match grade” or “tactical” of horology

Name:  6123D88A-B3DE-4CAF-B876-55A0E2D11790.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  36.5 KB
    Last edited by Duke; 05-28-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Totally concur with the Tudor statements

And I get it - I really do. Some folks just like the way a watch looks and will never care to discover what it looks like and who made that design

Really if you’re not watch guy - buy whatever disposable digital thing you find, they’re all the same and don’t worry with thinking about it again If you want a mechanical but aren’t a watch guy - any Seiko will do just fine.

It looks like a Seiko not like a bad vintage Rolex wannabe And that’s fine.

If you are a watch guy. It makes little sense to throw away money on things with no resale value

I know. You’ll never sell it.

But what it if you have to? It’d be better that It retained more value than less.

To the question of middle ground

Consider this.

A Tudor black bay 41 - reference 79230R with the new movement can be had for $2700 or so

But it’s big, a bit top heavy, has a bit too much faux vintage for purists etc -

So you really need the black bay 58 - which is smaller, nicer and better. Except that it’s $4k

And $4k is pretty much $5k

And $5k is only $700 away form a Rolex Oyster perpetual 39mm (ref 114300) - which is a better watch in every way other than that it costs most but if that’s the issue - refer to the first part of the post.

Which ever way you go - I only get torqued up when folks who don’t know any better call something like a steinhart Or a g shock a “nice watch”

It’s the “match grade” or “tactical” of horology

Name:  6123D88A-B3DE-4CAF-B876-55A0E2D11790.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  36.5 KB
    I totally want your Reverso.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I totally want your Reverso.
    The 2018 tribute small seconds in blue is the one to have imo.

So, I got a call from my AD today and this thing followed me home.

Name:  IMG_4008.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  25.8 KB
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 06-18-2020 at 06:06 PM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    So, I got a call from my AD today and this thing followed my home.

Name:  IMG_4008.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  25.8 KB
    Bastard! I'm jealous AF.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Bastard! I'm jealous AF.
    I'm not sure what it says that I gave a "like/thanks' to someone insulting me, but I guess his jealousy makes up for it. ;-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Mehhh... I don't get torqued up about anything that I personally didn't pay for.
    Not my zoo, not my monkey.
    The only exception is I make fun of people who buy and wear counterfeit watches. Fake watches are for fake people.
    I have a drawer full of everything from Rolex to Casio and every single one of them is a nice watch, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.
    My Japanese domestic market Casio Mudmaster holds my interest just as much as my Milgauss when I'm looking for what watch to wear for the day.
    Yesterday I wore my Milgauss all day, today it's been my Doxa, tomorrow will probably be my Seiko solar quartz and every time I check the time I'll think "this watch is cool because of... x".
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I'm not sure what it says that I gave a "like/thanks' to someone insulting me, but I guess his jealousy makes up for it. ;-)
    It's the highest form of congratulations.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List