Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncle Scotty Stories: My First LAPD Duty Pistol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I didn't get that from either of them, but then I was taught to fire 2 and access. And interestingly enough I've been told several times by young hot shots that is old fashion and it no longer applies. Since I am old fashion, I still fire 2 and access.

"The confidence of amateurs is the envy of professionals."

Dave
    What advantage is there to automatically firing two shots and then assessing vs shooting at a .30ish cadence where you can assess through your sights before every trigger pull, which is what Reston was advocating for?
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Conservation of ammunition. Not everyone has a G17. Not everyone who has one can carry it all the time. And they can't carry two or three extension magazines every day either. In the real world I know most people carry a 5 or 6 shot revolver or maybe a 7 or 8 shot semi auto. Anyone who's gone through any stress training with those kinds of handguns will tell you they can run dry very quickly. Like Uncle Scotty said you have to shoot deliberately and make good hits. And do it with your first couple rounds.

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    What advantage is there to automatically firing two shots and then assessing vs shooting at a .30ish cadence where you can assess through your sights before every trigger pull, which is what Reston was advocating for?
    Assessing through the sights is one of the things I love about RDS on handguns. The target focus actually helps with assessment.

Regarding split times in a real shooting, the officer in this video fired pairs with around a half second split time. IIRC that's what DB said LAPD trains for. She is certainly capable of shooting faster.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....thread/page205
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Just watched that. I’m such a gear nerd I could listen to this stuff all day.

I just want to sit around a fire and listen to DB, WD, Uncle Scotty, Whammy Moreno, ER Walt, and any other old hands talk cop shop then, now, and gear.

Name:  CAE64941-8FA5-4EB8-88F3-AE865E80E9A1.jpeg
Views: 350
Size:  78.6 KB

Reading this made me nostalgic enough to go thru my .50 ammo can o’stuff. Sure enough I had a 35mm film canister with three Geco BAT rounds and five Silvertips from my days at the Harris Co Sheriff’s Office (1982 - 1985).
    I went through the academy and carried a 5” Colt 1911 in .45acp but later moved to a 4” S&W M29 and then a BHP (still have it) until I moved back to WV in 1987. And “yes” I carried the BHP in the same Stelzig’s holster as the 1911. We were told that the rationale behind the flapped holsters was to make everyone look “uniform” since everyone brought their own pistol.

I don’t remember where I purchased the Geco rounds but it may have been from a gun store in Humble that always had the cool stuff. They were what, $3/round in 1985 dollars?

Good times! Anyone else remember the Two Pesos restaurant chain?
    Last edited by Rick R; 09-14-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

That’s a great video and history lesson.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I loved the Uncle Scotty clamshell video, and jumped over to google for info on the S&W Model 68. The story behind it was interesting on a few different levels! https://revolverguy.com/missing-link...sson-model-68/

User Tag List