Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    @GJM - I was looking at these guide rods. I see they offer a 34 Extended? Is that the one your are using? Is that prod / carry optic legal?

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I think for Production, per USPSA rulebook, 1/1/19, Appendix D-4, Production Division, I believe the pistol must weigh no more than +4 oz over original firearm manufacturer (OFM) weight with empty magazine:

Attachment 45286

The Production Gun List (https://uspsa.org/productionlist) has a few Glock 34s mentioned, e.g.

34 9mm (26 oz.)
    34 Gen 4 9mm 5.32 Barrel (26 oz.)
    G34 Gen 5 MOS (without optic for (26.2 oz.)
    G34 Gen5 MOS (26.21 oz.)
    G34 MOS (25.95 oz.)

So I believe you weigh your gun "ready to go" with an empty mag, and if you are not over +4 oz the above weights, you are good to go for P.

Looks like something like this adds about 1.6 oz so should still be under the ~4oz total add allowed.
    https://www.glockstore.com/Double-Di...sten-Guide-Rod

ETA:
    looks like the Thug Plug would add another ~2.3 oz which would get you awful close to that 4oz limit if you combined the two.
    https://www.glockstore.com/Thug-Plug...=6&custcol8=16
    Last edited by rob_s; 11-27-2019 at 10:47 AM.

RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

Received the GlockStore Tungsten Guide Rod and installed in the G19.5.

https://www.glockstore.com/GEN-5-Tungsten-Guide-Rod

Weights, all with empty magazine inserted:

Glock 19.5*, OEM guide rod - 25.9 oz
    Glock 19.5, Tungsten guide rod - 26.9 oz
    Tungsten guide rod assy - 1.7 oz
    OEM guide rod assy - 0.7 oz

*Early model Glock 19 Gen 5 w Glockstore Thugplug, Overwatch DAT trigger, OEM extended slide release, OEM extended Magazine release.

Last edited by RJ; 11-27-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Looks like something like this adds about 1.6 oz so should still be under the ~4oz total add allowed.
    https://www.glockstore.com/Double-Di...sten-Guide-Rod

ETA:
    looks like the Thug Plug would add another ~2.3 oz which would get you awful close to that 4oz limit if you combined the two.
    https://www.glockstore.com/Thug-Plug...=6&custcol8=16
    The difference between a G19 and a G34 is I think the extended G34 length guide rod weighs 3.7 oz with the spring (compared to the stock .7 oz). I am going to try it out, but likely won't add any additional weight anywhere else. The Thug Plug would put it over the limit, and I'm already adding steel sights and grip tape, so I don't want to sweat the equipment check by pushing it right up to the limit.

Regarding weight up front vs. on the bottom of the grip: In my experience shooting limited with a frame weight and a brass magwell, I can take the magwell off and hardly notice any difference in recoil, but if I remove the frame weight I see a huge difference. The weight in the grip is more for balance than recoil control, and I honestly can't say I've ever noticed the "balance" of a pistol when I'm shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    The difference between a G19 and a G34 is I think the extended G34 length guide rod weighs 3.7 oz with the spring (compared to the stock .7 oz). I am going to try it out, but likely won't add any additional weight anywhere else. The Thug Plug would put it over the limit, and I'm already adding steel sights and grip tape, so I don't want to sweat the equipment check by pushing it right up to the limit.

Regarding weight up front vs. on the bottom of the grip: In my experience shooting limited with a frame weight and a brass magwell, I can take the magwell off and hardly notice any difference in recoil, but if I remove the frame weight I see a huge difference. The weight in the grip is more for balance than recoil control, and I honestly can't say I've ever noticed the "balance" of a pistol when I'm shooting it.
    Since CO has a 45.0 weight limit, I am not forced to choose where to put the weight. In my hands, a Glock feels more wiggly without a Thug.

This afternoon, I shot a Gen 4 34 with the heavy Tungsten extended Glock Store guide rod, and the stock RSA. The heavy guide rod definitely felt better, but the timer didn’t seem to notice the difference.

If I had to choose between a Thug, heavy guide rod or the Federal Syntech, I would definitely pick the Syntech first.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    SFederal Syntech, I would definitely pick the Syntech first.
    I wasn't familiar with this ammo. What do you like about it?

Looks to be about $1.70/50 more than American Eagle?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I wasn't familiar with this ammo. What do you like about it?

Looks to be about $1.70/50 more than American Eagle?
    Shoot it and you will understand. In a lighter pistol, like a Glock, it is extremely soft shooting. I use AE 115 or Lawman 124 for practice, but Syntech for matches.

@GJM do you find any poi differences among the various Syntech 9mm I.e 115 or 124 or 150 gr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @GJM do you find any poi differences among the various Syntech 9mm I.e 115 or 124 or 150 gr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I only shoot the 150 Syntech, so I can’t compare it to other Syntech loads. I use AE 115 or Lawman 124 for practice, and both hit left of the Syntech at 25.

@GJM @Gio

I just picked up a lightly used gen 4 G34 MOS to use as a red dot competition pistol. Unfortunately, it's the early version without the breech face cut and no FCS, but here in California the pickings are slim and the prices are at least 2x higher than the free states.

Back on track; it appears that both of you prefer the single 15(?) lbs recoil spring on an aftermarket guide rod in the gen 5 pistols vs the OEM dual spring recoil assembly? Is the tungsten guide rod worth the extra money?

It has a Johnny Glock competition trigger system installed which is REALLY nice, so I'm just looking the next few steps to squeeze a little bit more performance out of it. First time I've experienced the Johnny Glock trigger and I have to say I'm impressed.

I've got a CHPWS brass Speed Feed coming for it. And I'm going to running a 509T with the Holosun plate on it.

I'd appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    @GJM @Gio

I just picked up a lightly used gen 4 G34 MOS to use as a red dot competition pistol. Unfortunately, it's the early version without the breech face cut and no FCS, but here in California the pickings are slim and the prices are at least 2x higher than the free states.

Back on track; it appears that both of you prefer the single 15(?) lbs recoil spring on an aftermarket guide rod in the gen 5 pistols vs the OEM dual spring recoil assembly? Is the tungsten guide rod worth the extra money?

It has a Johnny Glock competition trigger system installed which is REALLY nice, so I'm just looking the next few steps to squeeze a little bit more performance out of it. First time I've experienced the Johnny Glock trigger and I have to say I'm impressed.

I've got a CHPWS brass Speed Feed coming for it. And I'm going to running a 509T with the Holosun plate on it.

I'd appreciate your input.
    Gen 4 or 5, as the breech face cut is a Gen 5 feature?

User Tag List