Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Armed and Styled

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Me myself, if I hear someone take what I consider a false note, it is hard for me to find a motivation to keep listening.
    On that statement....

If a dude cannot, yet, shoot his way out of a D class with a full sized gun, he and people around him are likely to be better served with him dressing around a big gun.

That fairly false note simply doesn't comport with the reality that millions of untrained people defend themselves successfully with all kinds of sub-optimal firearms every year.

As someone who makes a living training people and within my idealized vision of armed society, I want everyone shooting at A class/M/GM levels, deadlifting double bodyweight and to have at least a purple belt in jiu-jitsu. Probably not gonna happen.

When is someone "good enough" to carry a smaller gun?

It's interesting to me how much people fetishize speed and accuracy because it's measurable. Don't read that as me saying speed and accuracy are unimportant. But the trend of spending hours to shave off milliseconds often when many of these same people have physical conditioning that wouldn't allow them to sustain a 30 second real fight, is kind of like stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

But this is Pistol-Forum not ProtectYourself-Forum so....sorta get it.

Ok, who in this thread made a drive by 1 star on my podcast?

Ha!!!
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    It's interesting to me how much people fetishize speed and accuracy because it's measurable. Don't read that as me saying speed and accuracy are unimportant. But the trend of spending hours to shave off milliseconds often when many of these same people have physical conditioning that wouldn't allow them to sustain a 30 second real fight, is kind of like stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

Sig-worthy, right there.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

But the trend of spending hours to shave off milliseconds often when many of these same people have physical conditioning that wouldn't allow them to sustain a 30 second real fight, is kind of like stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I resemble that remark!

—Someone who likes collecting pennies because shiny!

On that statement....

So good,true and refreshing!

I like the perspective Tessa gives and also Phlsters wife Sara I think is her name. Sara has done a great job helping women(men too)with the whole concealment aspect of carrying a gun.

We need more women like them that can demystify and explain concepts from a womens perspective. I can point the women in my life to these resources that can help them along their journey. I see it as a great benefit even if I may not 100% agree with it. I am cool with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    So good,true and refreshing!

I like the perspective Tessa gives and also Phlsters wife Sara I think is her name. Sara has done a great job helping women(men too)with the whole concealment aspect of carrying a gun.

We need more women like them that can demystify and explain concepts from a womens perspective. I can point the women in my life to these resources that can help them along their journey. I see it as a great benefit even if I may not 100% agree with it. I am cool with it all.
    Amy Langdon should be added to that group, she does a great job of explaining things.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Amy Langdon should be added to that group, she does a great job of explaining things.
    Along with Kathy Jackson's stuff.

It seems to me that some folks are a little myopic when discussing "big guns" and large guns" versus "pocket guns".

This gal is five foot nothing, and weighs a buck 0' five. Guess what? A G48 or a 365XL is a full sized gun for her, and anyone else in that size class. Telling her to tote G19 would be like telling you average sized guys to carry an HK Mark 23 or Desert Eagle. And then Andre the Giant pointing and laughing at you because you can't make it work.

@RJ 's experiment about hand size v. gun size really brought this into focus for me. My hand size was the second smallest of the samples. And then I read about some of you on here buying a 365, and then have to wrap ten yards of grip tape around it to make it shootable for you. G26 is the ultimate CCW gun? Not for her....or me, for that matter. CZ P07? My thumb can't reach the decocker. If it were on the rear of the axle like their metal guns, I might could.

Where's the Tylenol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjseSRhtWVQ
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I am impressed by her also. It doesn't seem that long ago that she appeared halting and awkward on USPSA courses. Then a month or so ago she posted a video where she made B class in Carry Optics. Now she has talked about how competing in USPSA helps her to move better and be more confident. You know, a lot of beginners would have given up or not reached those conclusions.

If you go back and watch her range work Wednesday, or whatever it is called video on El Presidente, she's actually doing pretty well. She scored it in some time plus manner. I scored it with hit factor scoring and she was doing high Cs and low Bs. And her splits weren't bad either.

She won't end up carrying that steel Q5 (most likely). But I'm sure that she'll find things to bring from her competition realm to her carry realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen's Dad View Post
    I am impressed by her also. It doesn't seem that long ago that she appeared halting and awkward on USPSA courses. Then a month or so ago she posted a video where she made B class in Carry Optics. Now she has talked about how competing in USPSA helps her to move better and be more confident. You know, a lot of beginners would have given up or not reached those conclusions.

If you go back and watch her range work Wednesday, or whatever it is called video on El Presidente, she's actually doing pretty well. She scored it in some time plus manner. I scored it with hit factor scoring and she was doing high Cs and low Bs. And her splits weren't bad either.

She won't end up carrying that steel Q5 (most likely). But I'm sure that she'll find things to bring from her competition realm to her carry realm.
    Agree, I wouldn't doubt she'll make bona fide A class or higher on demand in the near future. Looking forward to her continued growth and success.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List