Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New To Me SIG P229 E2

Whether very thick like the Hogue rubber and some wood grips, or very thin like the E2s, and everything in between, I figure grips are a very personal choice. The "thin" grips on my 229 use the same grip screws as the standard factory grips. The longer factory and aftermarket 239 grip screws I have protrude into the mag well on 229s. And in 30+ years of using various alloy framed SIGs, I've never lost a SIG grip screw, or had one strip out, etc.....YMMV

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    The problem I ran into the E2 grip was it is very vertical. Probably wouldn't be an issue on a short pull gun in SA mode, a 1911, like that...but a DA gun with that grip angle does NOT work for me, at all. Which is a shame because I actually really like the grip texture...
    IME the grip texture is ok when new but smooths out and looses texture making the grip shape issue worse.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    Whether very thick like the Hogue rubber and some wood grips, or very thin like the E2s, and everything in between, I figure grips are a very personal choice. The "thin" grips on my 229 use the same grip screws as the standard factory grips. The longer factory and aftermarket 239 grip screws I have protrude into the mag well on 229s. And in 30+ years of using various alloy framed SIGs, I've never lost a SIG grip screw, or had one strip out, etc.....YMMV
    If the 229 has a weakness it’s the grip screws. IME the P220/226/239 do not share the issue.

My agency issued P229s for 10 years. We went through grip screws like shot through a goose. We had a few frames deadlined due to stripped screw holes. We allowed any alternative grips which were used on SIG factory guns including the hogue rubber and G10. My sample size being are 15k sworn and i both taught firearms at our academy for in service from all over the country and then ran firearms for an office of 700.

A buddy ran firearms for a state police agency of about 1600 sworn which also issued P229s. They had the same issues with grip screws and a much higher rate of deadlined frames due to stripped screw holes. This was a significant factor in them switching to a striker fired duty pistol. The E2 appeared soon after.

I’m not a P229 hater but it behooves users to:

Use blue loctite and witness mark grip screws

Have spare grip screws on hand

Be cautious when installing or tightening grip screws.

Site Supporter
    stippling the old-school plastic thin panels is the absolute best! I used a soldering iron and tried to stick to a hip hexagonal pattern. Two lessons learned. 1) don’t, for the love of God, stipple the area where the web of your hand rests, and b) you can use some sandpaper to relieve the inside panel to be less abrasive to the skin or undershirt for carrying. Otherwise, I love this for locking the grip in when shooting in 100% humidity in August in the coastal south.

Name:  80D2CEEC-B05F-4E8A-8C8A-9A060582B55A.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  100.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    IME the grip texture is ok when new but smooths out and looses texture making the grip shape issue worse.

I never ran into that problem because between the verticality of it (and pushing every DA shot low, badly) and the weird/unsettling flex/squish I would get when clamping down to try to prevent that low push; the gun would squirm in the grip a bit...I don't think I ever put more than 500 or so rounds through one before yanking the E2 off and going back to normal grips. I tried it on 2 different guns and it wasn't just the gun. Switching to grips with a more pronounced rear hump eliminated the pushing low on DA issue for me, but on one set of grips, not the squish/movement inside the grips...Hogue G10s pretty much did fix that issue though.

Admittedly I did NOT spend a whole lot of time trying to train into the issue with E2s and DA pushing low...it was pretty much a "The other grips work, why bother with this" thing.

Site Supporter
    I agree that the standard E2 Grip Texture is somewhat smooth, and I can see where it would smooth out more over time. I noticed yesterday in live fire and today in dry fire, that it was a bit smooth. However I do like the 1911 like grip angle. I stippled my grips today, and my Horsehide with Shark Milt Sparks 55BN arrived today. Wilson Combat has them in stock for the P320C, which I discovered fits the 229E2 perfectly.

Name:  229E2 55BN.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  70.8 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Nice score! I always really liked the P229. Back when I thought .40 was the thing I ran a P229 for quite awhile because I thought it handled that round very well. I imagine with 9mm it’s even better.?

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Nice score! I always really liked the P229. Back when I thought .40 was the thing I ran a P229 for quite awhile because I thought it handled that round very well. I imagine with 9mm it’s even better.?
    Very little recoil. Straight back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    IME the only gun that handles .40 wear and tear better than the 226/229 is the HK USPC, assuming you do the necessary preventative maintenance.

IME the only gun that handles .40 wear and tear better than the 226/229 is the HK USPC, assuming you do the necessary preventative maintenance.
    Is that because their recoil system? I always thought they had the best designed for punishment.

User Tag List