Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: RO Fatally Shot at NY USPSA Match

This whole "180 discussion" is interesting. Here's a photo I took of Bob Vogel back at the 2011 or 2012 IDPA Nationals. To get this shot I was behind the 180, but his gun was aimed probably a good 10 or 15 degrees past my left shoulder.

Name:  bob vogel.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  27.4 KB

There were no steel targets or anything that could cause frag, and I was getting paid to be there, so I didn't feel particularly unsafe taking this photo, also because Bob is a known quantity. I figure if he's going to shoot me it'll be on purpose. I don't have a single photo of any other shooters from that exact angle, because Bob was the only guy I felt that safe getting close to the line to actually photograph.

Also, side note: when I'm getting paid to take pictures, there's nothing more annoying that some "helpful" RO being all "hey you can't stand there" when I'm behind the 180 and the shooter is cool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    If the stage has an RO at the 179 watching, there's about three levels of bad already on that stage.
    The cynic in me also says, if you have an RO watching the 180 that closely, then there is a 180 trap built into the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Also, side note: when I'm getting paid to take pictures, there's nothing more annoying that some "helpful" RO being all "hey you can't stand there" when I'm behind the 180 and the shooter is cool with it.
    I get what you're saying. But, if I were the RO in that situation, I would take a break and let someone else RO your subject.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    This thread does appear to have a lot of people who don't shoot IPSC/USPSA or who if they do , do it very causally opinioning very hard on something they don't understand. You know how you feel when someone who doesn't own guns tells you you don't need a 20 shot magazine, or a dude with a hunting rifle tells you you don't need an AR, thats how I feel reading it
    Right on! This is why I try to stay away from any competition related discussions on pistol forum. This is not the right place for that. With all due respect.

The CRO is responsible for his stage. If he tells you what you're doing is unsafe, STOP DOING IT. If you told me that on a stage I was running, you'd get about 5 seconds to change your mind before the RM gets called.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The CRO is responsible for his stage. If he tells you what you're doing is unsafe, STOP DOING IT. If you told me that on a stage I was running, you'd get about 5 seconds to change your mind before the RM gets called.
    Lol chill C-class.

And then I tell the Range Master I'm getting paid by XYZ to take this cool photo of the super squad and doesn't he want to look good in XYZ and the end result is I get to do what I want.

Lol chill C-class.

And then I tell the Range Master I'm getting paid by XYZ to take this cool photo of the super squad and doesn't he want to look good in XYZ and the end result is I get to do what I want.
    A camera doesn't make you bulletproof. Maybe if you need to take photos from unsafe positions you should invest in some cameras that you can activate remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    A camera doesn't make you bulletproof. Maybe if you need to take photos from unsafe positions you should invest in some cameras that you can activate remotely.
    I got plenty of those. I also take pictures of people like Bob and not power tripping C-class ROs because Bob isn't going to cook a bullet into me. You on the other hand...

Someone's classification has fuck-all to do with the legitimacy of their opinions re: safety. The match is not just about you and the shooter, if you get shot somehow there are repercussions for everyone.

Also, you assume a lot about his classification in the first place. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a bad shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    Someone's classification has fuck-all to do with the legitimacy of their opinions re: safety. The match is not just about you and the shooter, if you get shot somehow there are repercussions for everyone.

Also, you assume a lot about his classification in the first place. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a bad shooter.
    I’ve never met an RO who enjoyed power tripping that was also a good shooter.

Also, if I’m getting paid to do a job and the shooter and I are both okay with the assumption of risk and I’m breaking any of the clearly defined safety rules that are in the rulebook, the RO can eat my whole ass if he tries to interfere by imposing his own interpretation of the rules. This is why we have a fucking rule book in the first place - so we can be clear on what is an isn’t allowed.

User Tag List