Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago 762 homicides

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Actually the technology isn't really a whole lot better, there has just been a lot more practice at it. Emergency Medicine as a unique medical specialty didn't exist until the 70s, and trauma surgery not until even later. Even since the GWOT began we've learned a ton. There are some "new" cool tricks and tools (REBOAs, rapid infusers, EZ IOs, video intubation blades, smaller and cheaper freestanding ultrasound machines, etc) but at the institution I am training at we have a higher than average survival rate for penetrating trauma s/p emergent thoracotomy not because the technology is new - they just don't hesitate to crack open the chest and are good at fixing it once inside.

It's also worth mentioning to that there are some definitions of "alive" that I personally would not care to choose if I was given the option...

anyway, sorry for the tangent.
    I think that probably the biggest leap forward since the 70's has been in pre hospital care. Most fire departments are integrated Fire and Rescue, with most being Paramedics vs. EMT-B, plus as you pointed out, we now have a lot more options for patient care in the field, combined with lower response times and more hospitals (faster transport) and things are starting to look really bright for people.

Get shot in most parts of the Tampa Bay Area and you've got two to five paramedics on scene in less than five min and you're at a Level I or II trauma center in under 10 min, and when you get there you already have any number of advanced life saving procedures already performed... that seems pretty good for survival rates.

That being said, sometimes were a little too good at our jobs and the term "alive" could likely be substituted for zucchini, lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, or any other tasty vegetable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I think that probably the biggest leap forward since the 70's has been in pre hospital care. Most fire departments are integrated Fire and Rescue, with most being Paramedics vs. EMT-B, plus as you pointed out, we now have a lot more options for patient care in the field, combined with lower response times and more hospitals (faster transport) and things are starting to look really bright for people.

Get shot in most parts of the Tampa Bay Area and you've got two to five paramedics on scene in less than five min and you're at a Level I or II trauma center in under 10 min, and when you get there you already have any number of advanced life saving procedures already performed... that seems pretty good for survival rates.

That being said, sometimes were a little too good at our jobs and the term "alive" could likely be substituted for zucchini, lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, or any other tasty vegetable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup - Paramedics and modern EMS didn't even exist until roughly the same time. Old ambulances and ambulance crews were drivers in white suits who put you on a gurney and drove quickly. Paramedics who can intubate, push drugs, give compressions/shocks, etc are huge part of the equation too. In-the-field diagnostics like EKGs/pulse ox and finger glucose can also narrow down a differential diagnosis before the patient even hits the doors. Plus now we have far better radio communication and triage systems so ambulances can be get to and from the scene quicker and bring patients to the right hospital per their needs and location. Thanks for pointing that out.

and yes, that's the sense of the word alive that I am not so sure I am happy about. Once that vegetable gets decubitus ulcers they aren't so tasty anymore, either...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-04-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Still can't fix stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Obviously my medical expertise consists of whatever I have to be certified for my department, also now narcan, and tactical/trauma care which I sought out and trained for on my own. I get a lot of practice in the real world and that's not necessarily a good thing. The docs at our local level 1 we get tons of practice. They get anything between 3-5 shooting and stabbing victims on a slow day (not for the whole city just my little slice) and probably a dozen or so vehicle and other type traumas.

What I was referring to was people who I thought would have died or should have died and did not. One guy many years ago took 7 762x39 rounds from an AK at about 12yards, four in the upper chest area. I rushed him to the ER and when I got there the doc who was all suited up was yelling up a storm because they thought he was shot with a pistol not a rifle. Four weeks later I saw the guy limping down the street on crutches. He was dead as it gets when I pulled up to the ER. But he was alive when I put him in my car. Maybe 30 seconds max of nothing other than him bumping around in the back of my car. I stopped to talked to him and he thanked me for saving his life. He said two rounds bounced off his spine after break several ribs and the doc's were able to patch the holes in his lungs and Nick at the top of his heart (I guess it missed the arch).

That is pretty impressive.

How's about MIRACULOUS?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    How's about MIRACULOUS?
    No, not miraculous. A whole lot of lucky, and then a whole lot of this:

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/18998526...ctId=126392386

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Elections have consequences. Maybe......Chicago, Detroit, periods of NY, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Washington DC, and many others have
    been voting for he wrong people or party.
    Remember, Chicago is the city that on more than one occasion has had an alderman convicted of fraudulent activity, and in the next election his wife runs for the seat... and wins easily.

Nothing will change until Illinois voters stop being sheep. Unfortunately, a lot of the top talent left years ago because of the steadily rising property taxes to pay for that unfunded liability plus lots of other past stupidity.

[QUOTE=rdtompki;546204]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    No. I don't watch 60 minutes. There were actually two priests interviewed on Fox News. They appeared very well intentioned and I don't doubt they are trying to help their flock.
    If it's Pfleger, he's a scumbag.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

[QUOTE=Paul Sharp;546332]
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post

If it's Pfleger, he's a scumbag.

It is....

What's his deal?

I'm pretty jaded about it now. Chicago is a beautiful city filled with a lot of ugly people. Like Detroit and New Orleans, it is rotten from the inside out and likely always will be. The question is if anyone cares enough to fix it. Given how Detroit is fairing these days? My guess is no.

So neighborhoods like Austin and Englewood will continue to burn. No one gives a shit. The politicians just exploit the residents in these areas for votes. The citizens in the rest of the town laugh, because the crime isn't in their neighborhood. Their neighborhood has money. Money buys all the security and privilege you need here. The cops just stop giving a damn, because the citizens nor the city back them up (and who can blame them?). And as long as the street in front of the Alderman's house gets plowed first after a snowfall, the people with the power to do anything, won't.

HeyJackass.com's motto is perfect, "Illustrating Chicago's Values". It hasn't really got any.

I will be amused to watch Chicagoland slowly collapse under its own weight in the future. I have no intention of being here to see it happen first hand. Let Voters of Chicago deal with their plight. I'm not a resident of this state or registered to vote here, can't legally do so. So - for me - it's all an academic study anyway. Right now I have ringside seats to the show and the writing is on the wall. Nothing will save this city from the path now. Fire will be necessary to cleanse it.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-05-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's actually 795 homicides. But more compelling are the numbers shot

http://heyjackass.com/2016-year-to-date-totals/

HeyJackass.com has the best and probably most accurate shooting stats for the city.

4378 people SHOT in the city of Chicago in 2016. 795 homicides across all mode types.

I booked marked that sight on my work computer and have started announcing the daily total to my co-workers. It was 9 when I left work yesterday.

Meh. 762 murders in a city of 2,700,000 people.

Baltimore had over 300 in 2016 with a population of 621,000.

User Tag List