Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 9mm LEO street results

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    My question is, how are the new 9mm rounds doing for us on the street?
    Yes, yes, they are working fine for us on the street. My old org switched from .40SW to 9mm in 2014. We adopted the Federal HST 147gr, prior to that our issued handgun ammo was all Winchester Ranger SXT, the 9mm was the 147gr.

Since switching, there were several vehicle involved shootings, mostly into the suspect's ride..

All of the vehicle events involved multiple rounds and hits (fewer because of intermediate barriers). One suspect had significant mental health issues and, after knocking a co-worker of ours out with the car, took multiple rounds to the torso and one to the forehead through intermediate barriers. The suspect was immobile, non-responsive, etc. on-scene when I arrived a minute or so after the event. I worked on the suspect who survived a few more days. Two more events saw suspects taking multiple rounds through front windshield or side window glass, absolutely ceasing their actions, and being incapable of resisting or threatening acts.

Open-air events resulted in the suspect stopping their actions within a few rounds (1-3). If one could dive into the events, I’d guess they were psychological stops, given that they were mostly single hits. In one, there was a unique combo of a less-lethal projectile and a single pistol shot hitting the torso near simultaneously.

I was a die hard 1911/.45ACP guy for my first 21 years in the profession but I made the switch to 9mm in 2012. I haven’t considered a return to a .45ACP after that as there hasn’t been data or event (in my org or elsewhere) that I have seen to support it.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Rex G)

I am CERTAINLY no expert. I have simply been around long enough to know which experts to believe.

So very much this ^^^^^

Rex, my apologies for editing and adding a word.

[QUOTE=11B10;1037087][QUOTE=Rex G)

I am CERTAINLY no expert. I have simply been around long enough to know which experts to believe.

So very much this ^^^^^

Rex, my apologies for editing and adding a word.[/QUOTE]

No worries. My longer version, used before, here and there, is “I am certainly no kind of expert,” so your added word was within that spirit.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I my career I’ve carried 38 special and 357 Magnum for the same gun. We had to qual with 357 otherwise you carried 38. IIRC you’d couldn’t go to 357 until you passed FTO. I’ve carried 9mm, 40, and 45acp in various semi autos throughout the years. I’ve carried 9mm since the early 2000s after I got tired of 40 making my middle finger ache. I’ve never felt undergunned with 9mm.

We currently issue Speer Gold Dot for all calibers and it’s been issued for a long time. The last OIS we had with a 9mm was a one shot stop center mass. Gold Dot 124 grains.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 04-27-2020 at 03:32 PM. Reason: DYAC
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I know this thread is focused on handgun calibers, but it's a worthwhile read for anyone contemplating a long gun for home defense. I've started to compete (in steel challenge) with a 9mm SBR and have been going back and forth between 9mm and 300BLK for a dedicated HD upper with suppressor. The gun would otherwise be identical to the competition rifle. I'm not rural and contemplate no engagements beyond 25 yards with a stretch to 50 yards. I've not had second thoughts over the last several years about protecting my wife and myself with a 9mm handgun and while I see some advantage to having an SBR available, the excellent discussion and information in this thread has me leaning heavily toward sticking with 9mm. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I know this thread is focused on handgun calibers, but it's a worthwhile read for anyone contemplating a long gun for home defense. I've started to compete (in steel challenge) with a 9mm SBR and have been going back and forth between 9mm and 300BLK for a dedicated HD upper with suppressor. The gun would otherwise be identical to the competition rifle. I'm not rural and contemplate no engagements beyond 25 yards with a stretch to 50 yards. I've not had second thoughts over the last several years about protecting my wife and myself with a 9mm handgun and while I see some advantage to having an SBR available, the excellent discussion and information in this thread has me leaning heavily toward sticking with 9mm. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
    Sorry....what about a pistol caliber is remotely comparable to a rifle caliber at any range?

Site Supporter
    Virginia Beach, VA PD never jumped on the .40 bandwagon like a lot of other places did.
    They have had multiple shootings with the Ranger 127 +P+ out of Glock 17s and have had good results.
    That was our last duty round in 9mm out of the same pistol.
    Our last OIS was ca. 1979 with a S&W M15.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Virginia Beach, VA PD never jumped on the .40 bandwagon like a lot of other places did.
    They have had multiple shootings with the Ranger 127 +P+ out of Glock 17s and have had good results.
    That was our last duty round in 9mm out of the same pistol.
    Our last OIS was ca. 1979 with a S&W M15.
    I was issued a Model 15 in the USAF. For curiosity how did that go and what load?

Using a revolver on the municiple side I remember back in the day the 158 LSWCHP out of a 4" seemed to work pretty good. Of course the new 125 and 130 38 special seem to do just as good out of 4" but 2" is iffy

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    We can add two more success stories for the 147gr HSTs this week.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I wasn't aware of the history there. The CHP guys I've shot with (all 3) are squared away shooters.

ETA - not doubting the target focused history, just surprised.
    The guys trying to fix things are all squared away, shoot on their own time, competition etc. But changes to official curriculum's come slowly. It normally involves convincing bosses who are not gun people and only know what they were trained and indoctrinated to do, which is usually the same stuff you are trying to replace.

User Tag List