Page 89 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Is it an option to return it to SA for warranty service? I would think SA would be amenable, especially for a LE weapon. I would not be surprised if SA provided updated sights for gratis or for much less than retail.
    Excellant idea. I will try that. Thanks
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    someone started an idiot scratch.... I made an adjustment to prevent that.
    As a kid, I thought all 1911s that had actually been used had them. Seriously. Some of the ex-GI pistols had dandies.

When I looked over my impulse buy 9mm RO Operator (NIB at the LGS, and oh, was it ever priced right), I failed to notice a faint "idiot scratch starter kit" on that parked finish until I got home and examined it while endorphins were AWOL. I have since accepted that I am congenitally incapable of giving any new firearm a true 100% dispassionate examination. 90%, tops.

Well, no less than 80%.

Okay, a little less, but not much...
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    As a kid, I thought all 1911s that had actually been used had them. Seriously. Some of the ex-GI pistols had dandies.

When I looked over my impulse buy 9mm RO Operator (NIB at the LGS, and oh, was it ever priced right), I failed to notice a faint "idiot scratch starter kit" on that parked finish until I got home and examined it while endorphins were AWOL. I have since accepted that I am congenitally incapable of giving any new firearm a true 100% dispassionate examination. 90%, tops.

Well, no less than 80%.

Okay, a little less, but not much...
    My brother bought a brand new Colt Combat Elite in late 2010. It was his first 1911 and is still his daily edc. Paperwork was all done with receipt in hand and the gunstore employee asked bro if he knew how to field strip. Bro said he has an idea and would be able to figure it out. Employee offered to show him and started taking it apart. When he put it back together, putting the pin in, slid it right up and across the stainless and created a nice fresh gouge. "Oops" was what came out of employee's mouth. Brother was fuming. Ink was barely dry on the paperwork. The idiot scratch is still there to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    My brother bought a brand new Colt Combat Elite in late 2010. It was his first 1911 and is still his daily edc. Paperwork was all done with receipt in hand and the gunstore employee asked bro if he knew how to field strip. Bro said he has an idea and would be able to figure it out. Employee offered to show him and started taking it apart. When he put it back together, putting the pin in, slid it right up and across the stainless and created a nice fresh gouge. "Oops" was what came out of employee's mouth. Brother was fuming. Ink was barely dry on the paperwork. The idiot scratch is still there to this day.
    Oh, do I understand about the fuming. I get chapped whenever I do my own blemishing, but when someone else does it before I even get the chance...

I bought an off-the-rack, stainless-barreled AR15 to get into paper punching with the locals, and one of the LGS guys of the time had for some reason taken the upper and the lower out of the molded case and assembled them before I did the paperwork. After all the paperwork was done and the credit card processed, he proceeded to pull a steel pin punch and a brass hammer seemingly from out of nowhere and used it on the front pin before I could even emit a cry of protest. A nice, noticeable little piece of anodizing right next to the hole was gone, just like that. Unlike that punch which partially missed the pin, he didn't miss a beat... and blandly went on to the next guy down the counter.

Every time I looked at that rifle it bugged me... to the point where I sold it for about what I paid for it during one of our previous politically-driven panics.

This RO Operator of mine is probably going to get a kydex holster this year, so I figure this minor track in the texture will recede in importance pretty quickly.
    gn

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    This RO Operator of mine is probably going to get a kydex holster this year, so I figure this minor track in the texture will recede in importance pretty quickly.
    Yep, all of my three 1911s have idiot marks, either because I’ve had the gun for a long time and I was the idiot at 16, or because it was bought used. And then the EVO has a minor one because my dad who originally had it, through no fault of his own, has a terrible time disassembling/reassembling a 1911 due to arthritis. Doesn’t matter, they’re all used in kydex holsters. The EVO already has a good amount of finish worn off on the trigger guard and the dust cover that’s way more noticeable than the idiot mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Doesn’t matter, they’re all used in kydex holsters. The EVO already has a good amount of finish worn off on the trigger guard and the dust cover that’s way more noticeable than the idiot mark.
    I honestly did not know that kydex could facilitate the removal of matter so efficiently when I bought my first holster made of the stuff; I think I drained my expletive reservoir when I realized what had been happening. I remember old guys being verklempt about damage from suede linings, but kydex would have had them running in circles with their hair on fire and their dresses up over their heads (metaphorically speaking).

Between holsters and the grit that every surface at the range seems to have in abundance, the only way I am going to keep the finish intact another couple of years is to simply not use it. So this particular quadrennial election cycle ammo problem might keep my ROO looking better a little longer... it sure isn't doing anything else positive.
    gn

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Modern adjustable sights are actually fairly robust, though not to the same degree as fixed sights. ... Colt rounds the corners on theirs and I prefer that over sharp corners so yeah rounding those off a bit might be a good idea.
    Dawson doesn't round them, but bevels the sharp corner away. I have this one on my Ruger (yes, the Ruger patterned their notch after Kimber, the helpful folks at Dawson helped me figure this out after trying Bomar and LPA...):
    https://dawsonprecision.com/024-013/

The 10-8 Armorer Tool - itself a derivation of the now discontinued Pachmayr 'Widget' - should be in everyone's tool box - Specifically to help prevent 'idiot' marks.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...%7cMake_3=1911

For those who don't know the 'widget' can be used in a variety of ways:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/...ick_widget.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I am the guy in charge of that and a LE 1911 armorer.

I plan to run at least 500 plus through it before I attempt to carry.

I took it apart and found the usual MIM stuff and glued ejector. The sear pin is odd in that it has a raised edge. This piece has been shot but not to the point of wearing an edge on the sear pin. The trigger and sear pin have rough ends. My guess those pins are not original as the thumb safety is not a Springer part either.

Barrel hood has some slight push. The extractor had zero tension on it. The other odd thing I noticed is the dust cover edges are not even. The night sights still work, just faint. I will paint the front sight as a temp fix.

I plan to replace worn parts and springs with quality replacements and if it runs 100% with acceptable duty accuracy... I will carry this one on duty. A co-worker will inspect this firearm and it must meet duty specs/documentation.

someone started an idiot scratch.... I made an adjustment to prevent that.

here is the dust cover thickness differences.

What way did you go on this?

User Tag List