Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Removing Mower Blade from Lawn Tractor

And don't forget to unplug the spark plug.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I use a leather gloved hand and breaker bar. Hold it and rotate against each other.

I have used a C-clamp attached to the side of the mower deck to block the blade. An impact wrench is great for breaking the bolts loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Wedge a chuck of 2x4 between the blade and the outshoot and wrench it off.
    That's what I do. Block the blade from rotating with a 2x4. Or borrow your neighbors lift and use his impact wrench.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I agree that you can probably hold the blade in one hand and breaker bar in another, that's what I've done in the past. Same idea as 2 opposing pipe wrenches. Wear gloves so you can get some torque on it without bothering your hands.

Also a good use for an impact gun.
    My experience as well. I use a 1/2 drive, 24 inch breaker bar with some penetrating oil pre-treat.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Some mowers have a place on the top of the deck where you can lock the blades, often by inserting a socket wrench/breaker bar. Others lack that and a wedge of wood between the blade and the edge of the deck has been my answer. There is a special tool made that's a clamp that locks the blade to the edge of the deck, but I've never bothered to buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I have used a C-clamp attached to the side of the mower deck to block the blade. An impact wrench is great for breaking the bolts loose.
    I was thinking the C clamp would work well.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I agree that you can probably hold the blade in one hand and breaker bar in another, that's what I've done in the past. Same idea as 2 opposing pipe wrenches. Wear gloves so you can get some torque on it without bothering your hands.

Also a good use for an impact gun.
    Just don't use the impact to tighten it. You can seriously f up the shaft doing it that way, and if it's the crankshaft of the engine, that will be even more expensive.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I drive my lawn tractor up on small purpose designed ramps and wedge a piece of firewood between the blade and the deck as others have said. Works fine.

Here is a video showing how I do it on my riding mower:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePNsCr7e3dY

I too am in the 2x4 or chunk of firewood camp. Only way I have ever done it.

Site Supporter
    If only we could do basic maintenance on a car like we do our mowers.

User Tag List