Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Made is USA Savage Renegauge!

Thanks for your contribution to this forum. It's an amazing privilege to have our questions answered by someone directly involved in product development.

I look forward to your follow up video giving a more detailed breakdown/review. I'm interested in knowing more about the sights and about the carrier latch, carrier window notch, lifter, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Thanks for your contribution to this forum. It's an amazing privilege to have our questions answered by someone directly involved in product development.

I look forward to your follow up video giving a more detailed breakdown/review. I'm interested in knowing more about the sights and about the carrier latch, carrier window notch, lifter, etc.
    Thank you and know that even with some bias, I will always do my best to give it to you all straight.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Another question... Has Savage engineered out the malfunction that the Beretta 1301 exhibit(ed) where a shell binds on the elevator if the bolt release is pressed while the bolt is forward? (Hope I explained the correctly.). Serious business. At $1,400 I need a reason to purchase this brand new product over the known-good 1301.

Also, it looks like Savage combined Mossberg’s Blink gas system with Remington’s Versamax. Not saying that’s a bad thing, just an observation. I like the Savage ethos of solid performing guns without a premium price tag. One thing though, Savage really needs to clean up that ugly ass weld where the action bars attach to the gas piston thing under the forend. I’ve seen that on a couple of videos now. Pure aesthetics I know, but at over a grand, that weld ought look just a little cleaner.
    I can create no issues with no matter how I push or prod on the bolt release with the tube loaded and bolt closed.

I am assuming you are referring to the "feature" on some shotguns where one can manipulate the bolt release to facilitate unloading
    the mag tube?

All you (anyone) has seen are pre-production guns and those were "hand welded".

Gas system. Not really anything like the Beretta Blink nor the Rem versa.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    I can create no issues with no matter how I push or prod on the bolt release with the tube loaded and bolt closed.

I am assuming you are referring to the "feature" on some shotguns where one can manipulate the bolt release to facilitate unloading
    the mag tube?

All you (anyone) has seen are pre-production guns and those were "hand welded".

Gas system. Not really anything like the Beretta Blink nor the Rem versa.
    If you go over to the very long running 1301 thread, pretty early on there is a lengthy discussion regarding a serious malfunction that occurs when a shell is chambered, shells are in the magazine, and the bolt release is depressed. This resulted in a shell from the magazine popping partially out of the mag tube, above the elevator. It completely tied the gun up and was a bear to resolved. This resulted in a shroud being developed for the bolt release. I *think* that situation was resolved on Gen 2 versions. Others here would know better than I.

Copy that on the weld. Good to know.

Thanks for posting all this up. Watching with interest. I like the Savage rifles and look forward to seeing how the Renegauge works out.

If you go over to the very long running 1301 thread, pretty early on there is a lengthy discussion regarding a serious malfunction that occurs when a shell is chambered, shells are in the magazine, and the bolt release is depressed. This resulted in a shell from the magazine popping partially out of the mag tube, above the elevator. It completely tied the gun up and was a bear to resolved. This resulted in a shroud being developed for the bolt release. I *think* that situation was resolved on Gen 2 versions. Others here would know better than I.

Copy that on the weld. Good to know.

Thanks for posting all this up. Watching with interest. I like the Savage rifles and look forward to seeing how the Renegauge works out.
    The Savage suffers no such potential tragic malfunction.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I *think* that situation was resolved on Gen 2 versions. Others here would know better than I.
    It was. It only happened under a very specific set of circumstances, but Tom's shroud was a great inexpensive solution to the problem. (I have Tom's shrouds on both of my guns)

I'm always glad to see more good options on the market and I think the market as a whole is going to be rediscovering the benefits of the defensive gauge in the near future.
    3/15/2016

The 18 would take a pretty good revision of the gas system. I will be assembling a HD/ Tact/ 3G unit on the 24"
    This looks like a really neat shotgun!
    Am I right that it uses “Mobile Choke” style tubes? If so that keeps things simple for after market support.
    Will the magazine tube allow the addition of extended sections?

My Turkish M3K has been brilliant, but I could be tempted to upgrade to an American made gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    This looks like a really neat shotgun!
    Am I right that it uses “Mobile Choke” style tubes? If so that keeps things simple for after market support. Yes, Mobil Chokes
    Will the magazine tube allow the addition of extended sections? That is correct.

My Turkish M3K has been brilliant, but I could be tempted to upgrade to an American made gun.
    FWIW I started the entire M3K craze by building the very
    first one and then working with Stoeger to make a factory version.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...000-for-3-gun/
    https://www.multigunmedia.com/m30003gun.pdf

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The 18 would take a pretty good revision of the gas system. I will be assembling a HD/ Tact/ 3G unit on the 24"
    Three things -

1) I really, really enjoy watching your videos - your unbridled enthusiasm for what you are doing is just so fun to watch. Just wanted to throw that out there.

2) I'm sure you have people all over this but if you do an 18, please, for the love of maple syrup, make it 18.5+" so there's no issues having it as an unrestricted gun up here.

3) That thing looks awesome and I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Three things -

1) I really, really enjoy watching your videos - your unbridled enthusiasm for what you are doing is just so fun to watch. Just wanted to throw that out there. THANK YOU!!!

2) I'm sure you have people all over this but if you do an 18, please, for the love of maple syrup, make it 18.5+" so there's no issues having it as an unrestricted gun up here. 20" will be my minimum...24 is my shortest preference.

3) That thing looks awesome and I want one.You should! It does what all others do as well or better and a couple things the other can not...that will be shown in the not too distant future.

User Tag List