Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Essential Texts/Articles/Videos on Mindset and Gunfighting

What You Don’t Know Can Kill You. How Most Self-Defense Training Will Put You into Prison or the Ground. Marc MacYoung.

I have t read it but Gila Hayes just gave a positive review of it in the latest ALCDN newsletter.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What You Don’t Know Can Kill You. How Most Self-Defense Training Will Put You into Prison or the Ground. Marc MacYoung.

I have t read it but Gila Hayes just gave a positive review of it in the latest ALCDN newsletter.
    Yes, he makes a generic strawman criticism of classes that he had never taken and instructors who he had never trained with, without mentioning any specific names. By doing this he attempts to claim the intellectual high ground--a difficult task for a man who in the past has claimed to have been in bullwhip fights.

I would take anything written by Marc MacYoung with a huge dose of salt. He has a long, questionable history that many people are not aware of. He has managed to ingratiate himself with those people.

He may have evolved somewhat, but in the past he had written that a sword is a better home defense weapon for a woman than a firearm.

This is a man who related a story about how he was walking and suddenly saw a really dangerous looking guy who appeared and was ready to strike him, but then realized it was his own reflection in a window.

At a Seminar with some other instructors, he was demonstrating his knife defense technique to avoid getting your throat slashed which consisted of bringing up your hand and arm as though to bring a phone to the side of your head.

When demonstrating it at not full speed, he missed, and got his throat slashed by a training knife.

He turned to the audience and asked, "What just happened? What just happened?"

They responded with, "Uh, you got your throat slashed.."

His response was, "Yes, but how deep?"

That last response should tell you all you need to know about him.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-05-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks, Ed. Glad I didn't add that one to my reading list.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

I have no idea who Gila Hayes is. It seems like a thread about essential texts should be limited to ones you've actually read and can recommend as, well, essential.

------------
    Last edited by BigD; 08-05-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Good to know.

I just skimmed her review, but it seemed like a book containing useful content. I'll skip it too then.

Thanks,
    David S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post

I would take anything written by Marc MacYoung with a huge dose of salt. He has a long, questionable history that many people are not aware of. He has managed to ingratiate himself with those people.

He may have evolved somewhat, but in the past he had written that a sword is a better home defense weapon for a woman than a firearm.

David S.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I have no idea who Gila Hayes is.
    She is the wife of Marty Hayes, owner of Firearms Academy of Seattle https://firearmsacademy.com/. Marty has been around a long time in the training field. He is also the president of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, of which I am a member: https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/. I don't think that I have never interacted with either of them in person or online. They have a number of great people on their board of directors, including Tom Givens, who recently held a Rangemaster conference at their range in Seattle.

Anyway, I believe MacYoung started writing books printed by Paladin press in the late 1980s on streetfighting and knifefighting and such, parlaying his supposed experience as a former street tough and bouncer. At that time you could get away with writing more questionable things and face less scrutiny than you would today. At one time I bought one or two of them, did not think that much about them, and got rid of them. In one video he advised that he put out in the 1990s he advised that if a suspicious person who tried to get to close to you, you yell at them "Give me three feet." He explained that was what prison guards do, and thus it would illicit a similar effect in the person confronting you if they had been to prison. Never mind the fact that you are not a prison guard yelling at a convict, and unless you had a strong physical presence that intimidated the person, doing such a thing might piss someone off in the street and escalate the situation. It wasn't just what he taught but, how he taught it--like these were magic words.

These days MacYoung seems to stress awareness and avoidance, which is obviously very important. He really doesn't have anything substantive to offer in terms of physical techniques. In fact his stuff sucks. So he cuts down everyone who does, refers to them as "cults".

If you ask him a question about or point out a problem with his bad techniques, you get labelled a "what if Monkey." He's developed his own lexicom.

What bothers me as that he manages to ingratiate himself with some credible instructors and programs.

I don't expect everyone to be familiar with his past, but I have to say that it bothers me that an organization that I pay money to be a member of holds him in any esteem.

Anyway, I guess someone has got to be an asshole and point out the guy's questionable past. If it was a regular person I would not care. But when someone holds themself up as a self defense expert and instructor, I think this directly reflects on his credibility--not just the stupidity he wrote in the past but his questionable background claims.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-05-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

Get the edition by the Hicks brothers titled: 'THE EMPEROR'S HANDBOOK.'

Enchiridion by Epictetus is pretty short and vital I feel. Here is an online link to it, google the translator as well, interesting history.

User Tag List