Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Site Supporter
    Third year I have done this. No disappointment so far. In fact rather impressed. Very hands off, and superior results. Sorry it is not in time for your St. Patty's Day dinner this year.

Some of us sous-vide users are saving up for a bidet, for unrelated reasons. I think the bidet users should save up for a sous-vide, for unrelated reasons. The corned beef brisket is tender, moist, and foolproof, thusfar.

Also...leftover corned beef and cabbage, with good mustard, makes an OUTSTANDING egg roll. When fried in egg roll skins. Bonus if you make some Russian Dressing and mix it with sauerkraut, rather than cabbage, and add a bit of Swiss cheese for a Rueben Egg Roll.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 03-16-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Third year I have done this. No disappointment so far. In fact rather impressed. Very hands off, and superior results. Sorry it is not in time for your St. Patty's Day dinner this year.

Some of us sous-vide users are saving up for a bidet, for unrelated reasons. I think the bidet users should save up for a sous-vide, for unrelated reasons. The corned beef brisket is tender, moist, and foolproof, thusfar.

pat
    Toto Washlet, FTW!
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

We got some smoked wild boar Andouille sausage from Crowd Cow this month. Andouille sausage means a jambalaya or gumbo has to occur. In this case we had everything to make jambalaya on hand. 1.5 cups of white rice, some left over onions, bellpepper, and a seared jalapeņo (a nice hot one) we had from fajitas a couple of nights back, some diced tomatoes, some vaked beans with brown sugar, three Andouille sausage links sliced, a shot of black pepper, about 3/4 tablespoon of minced garlic. Throw it all in the Staub pot and let it simmer for 45 minutes. I added a bit more water because it was reducing down too fast.

Serve with cheddar biscuits with a garlic, rosemary, thyme, and butter sauce drizzled over them.

Name:  52707F65-E523-4573-A768-9CAB2C34441D.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  62C9FD93-CDF7-4226-9058-FAAA19F2DF90.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  ACB1D24D-7CB0-49F6-A978-4526847E8253.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  55.7 KB

How about a bump?

Homemade fried chicken sandwiches?

Name:  65B63816-857A-48B9-855B-09ADA6C619D5.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  70.4 KB
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Smoker warming up for the Boston butt I've mentioned elsewhere. Rubbed with a mix of Goya adobo (mostly cumin if memory serves), jalapeno powder, hot paprika, kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Am starting the pork with straight hickory smoke for a couple hours to set the base and then going to a hickory/apple mix. Plan to serve with a vinaigrette based pasta salad (homemade dressing using backyard herbs, freshly crumbled feta, kalamata olives, halved cherry tomatoes, etc.), baked potatoes, toasted couple-day-old olive bread, and veg to be determined but likely quick pickled beets. The usual assortment of hot sauces and whatever BBQ sauce is open in the fridge, of course.

As a guest is pregnant and on/off with smoked food at the moment, also have a couple whole Irish mackerel. Will have oldest clean them and make deep slices along one side of each. Will stuff the body cavity and each slit with thin sections of lemon and onion, salt them up, sprinkle more of our fresh herbs inside and out, drizzle with some olive oil, and roast in a very hot oven until done.

For a quick lunch as I tend smoker and do some busywork, have leftover large stuffed clams in the fridge. Will splash with a spot of whatever cheap white wine is in the fridge for cooking to keep them from drying out as they reheat in the toaster oven and serve with Old Bay hotsauce all over the top.

Site Supporter
    ^^^^
    Wife made roasted Brussels Sprouts with diced bacon and onions, served drizzled with Balsamic vinegar with Friday dinner. I think that would pair well with both the Pork and the Mackerel, if you're still undecided on the veg.

Mmmmmm.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    ^^^^
    Wife made roasted Brussels Sprouts with diced bacon and onions, served drizzled with Balsamic vinegar
    That actually sounds perfect, possibly replacing bacon with olive oil drizzle to be sure the mother-to-be can eat them. Will send a kid to town for the little cabbages.

Site Supporter
    Made lobster rolls last night for a light dinner. Wegmans sells lobster meat precooked - a touch pricey but not as much as 9mm. Easy dinner then watch Dr. Pol.

Turns out I'd scuttled my wife's supper plans, last night. Having come home with sushi and stuffed clams to bake, the chicken thighs she had defrosted stayed in the fridge. To use them up since they can't be re-frozen, made up a bit more of the rub, had youngest get it under skin and all over, and they are now in the smoker on the rack under the Boston butt for a couple hours.

May have to invite some neighbors with our planned company over to help eat all this.

Site Supporter
    We have a bumper crop of figs this year and a moderate one of muscadines. We put up about 8 pints of homemade strawberry fig preserves this weekend and will try for some muscadine jelly next.

Name:  20210730_092248.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  53.7 KB

User Tag List