Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New sneakers for the Dick Special.

New sneakers for the Dick Special.

Picked up an old pair of Colt branded Pachs for the Detective Special. I threw up in my mouth a little at the price, but they were mint on card. The wood grips are classic, but just too small for me. These make this one shootable. It might be my EDC post-retirement.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 11-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I just picked up an old cobra with those on it. They are awesome and they don't hurt concealability.

Site Supporter
    Try the hogue wood grips. You have to remove the pin in the frame; but worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Those Colt branded Pachmayrs are among the best grips that can be found for a Detective Special. If you carry it, please post whether you do anything with the front sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Put the Pachys on a Colt DS like yours and my qual scores went up as my times went down. First of the "compacs" that Pachmayr built and probably still the best.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Picked up an old pair of Colt branded Pachs for the Detective Special. I threw up in my mouth a little at the price, but they were mint on card. The wood grips are classic, but just too small for me. These make this one shootable. It might be my EDC post-retirement.
    I know nothing about the grips or this revolver, but the photo made my mouth hang open. Beautiful.

Well, the new grips helped a bit, but not enough. I still pull the shots off to the left and the trigger still pinches the shit out of my trigger finger. It looks like this one will stay on the "ain't it cool" vintage shelf in the safe. In all honesty, that's not a real heartbreak. It's in really nice shape and I was hesitant to trash the finish by making it a routine carry piece.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Well, the new grips helped a bit, but not enough. I still pull the shots off to the left and the trigger still pinches the shit out of my trigger finger. It looks like this one will stay on the "ain't it cool" vintage shelf in the safe. In all honesty, that's not a real heartbreak. It's in really nice shape and I was hesitant to trash the finish by making it a routine carry piece.
    Mine is one of the few guns I own that has gone up in value since I bought it. Yours will likely do the same. It will also be difficult to find parts or otherwise get repairs accomplished if that need arises, so that is probably a wise decision.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I know nothing about the grips or this revolver, but the photo made my mouth hang open. Beautiful.
    The grips split the difference between a 2 finger boot grip and a full 3 finger grip, with the pinky curled partially under the grip, but still contributing to the grip. They are excellent for concealed carry, but are a bit big for pocket carry (as is the Colt).

The gun was probably one of the best choices for concealed carry when revolvers were common as primary weapons. It provides 6 shots in a package that is not much bigger than a J frame, but will take K frame speedloaders. The ejector rod is longer than that of a 2” S&W, resulting in better ejection. Triggers are generally good but with some stacking. If one is issued a K frame .38, carrying this as a backup permitted using the same speedloaders. Inherent accuracy is excellent for such a short gun.

The biggest disadvantage is that the front sight is nearly worthless in any less than perfect lighting conditions. That extreme ramp reflects light and disappears quite easily. When I can see the sight, mine shoots about 13” high at 25 yards, but is right on for windage.

Great Colt! Too bad it isnt going to work for you.

A 1980s Agent adopted me, it came with the same style Pachs. I absolutely love them, and I'm not generally a Pach fan on most things. They are perfect on the D frame Colts. I pocket carry mine daily, in Carhartts and Bean jeans, they work fine with a speedloader in the same pocket to help keep the gun oriented in the pocket correctly. 2 speed strips fit in the watch pocket back to back nicely also.

Bright orange nail polish works well on the front sight.

Mine hits about an inch low and inch right at 15 yards, close enough for my use. I keep the first round up a birdshot in the summer, its always in my pocket around the yard and such, even if I have a belt gun on.

Sniffing around the net, I have 2 full sets of spare internal parts for it, I'm set. I thought Id bob a hammer for it, but after getting used to putting my thumb behind the hammer when drawing it, I havent messed with the hammer grind and swap.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-07-2018 at 10:10 PM.

User Tag List