Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for GJM & others CZ 527?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The Ruger gives you zero chance of winning the CZ wood lottery, though.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Howa barreled action is also on sale right now.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...26-235678.aspx
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I like CZ products, and I considered the 527 when I began my Down the Practical Hole series. In the same class would be the Ruger American Ranch which is available in a wide range of calibers including 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, and .300 BLK. The 7.62x39 rifles use the same mags as the Mini-30, and the others use AR mags.

The safety also is more user friendly.

The downside is a lack of iron sights.
    Previously I'd heard the magazines for the Rugers were not well liked. Have they improved them since introduction?

Does anyone like the CZ527 in .223? Seems the 7.62x39 gets all the chatter.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I will jump in here. I have had a x39 and a .223 527 and they both went down the road. I loved the looks, the iron sights, and the quality of the rifle. I did not like the magazine price, the height of the scope needed to clear the bolt handle, and the "to me" backwards safety. Accuracy with off the shelf ammo was so/so although the .223 showed promise with my hand loads. I did not win the CZ stock lottery and my wood was very nice, but not exceptional. After selling the x39 I had a lot of Golden Tiger ammo and no rifle in this caliber. Then came the Ruger American Ranch. They are not very expensive, so I bought one. After shooting it, I had to buy another because my son claimed the first one. They are very accurate with Golden Tiger ammo. So much so, that I have not started reloading for these rifles yet. They are not as ascetically pleasing as the CZ nor do they have iron sights. The lack of iron sights are a big negative for me but I haven't broken a scope in years, so not a deal killer. I like the Ruger magazines and the fact that they function as a last round hold open device. The safety functions in a manner that is more familiar to me and the scope is at the normal height. I put and A2 flash hider on the muzzle to keep it off the floor-mats and I have a great truck gun.

Although they share similar caliber, they are two different rifles. Both have positive and negative attributes. Before all this Covid-19 gun buying madness I was hoping that a drop in gun sales would spur Ruger into making a version of the American Ranch with iron sights, but that it just wishful thinking.

I would definitely look at both before deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Previously I'd heard the magazines for the Rugers were not well liked. Have they improved them since introduction?
    I can't personally answer that question right now, but I will probably get try one soon.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I recall several accounts of magazine problems, but Ruger promptly replaced them with functional ones when asked. 24hourcampfire.com is where I would go if looking for an update.
    Not another dime.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    The standard Americans use a rotary magazine that had some legitimate problems.

The Ranch version uses Mini 30 magazines for the x39 and standard AR magazines for the 5.56 and the 300 BO. I believe they still do make a Ranch version with the rotary magazine if you want a flush fit.

I have also seen where folks have purchased the AR magazine insert and convert the x39 to run off of AR pattern 7.62x39 magazine if the owner so desires.

The system is pretty flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    The standard Americans use a rotary magazine that had some legitimate problems.

The Ranch version uses Mini 30 magazines for the x39 and standard AR magazines for the 5.56 and the 300 BO. I believe they still do make a Ranch version with the rotary magazine if you want a flush fit.

I have also seen where folks have purchased the AR magazine insert and convert the x39 to run off of AR pattern 7.62x39 magazine if the owner so desires.

The system is pretty flexible.
    That's some new info to me but I haven't looked at then for a couple years. I was looking for a .223 bolt gun for range use and wound up with a good deal on the Weatherby Vanguard S2. The Ruger in 6.5 was getting a lot of attention back then.

CZ's generally have a reputation for being well built and accurate. I bought a CZ550 / .270 Win back in '03. It's my only hunting rifle and has been very accurate with factory ammo as well as my hand loads. Working the safety has not been an issue.

If I was looking for an old school built walk around rifle, the CZ527 carbine would get serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I will jump in here. I have had a x39 and a .223 527 and they both went down the road. I loved the looks, the iron sights, and the quality of the rifle. I did not like the magazine price, the height of the scope needed to clear the bolt handle, and the "to me" backwards safety. Accuracy with off the shelf ammo was so/so although the .223 showed promise with my hand loads. I did not win the CZ stock lottery and my wood was very nice, but not exceptional. After selling the x39 I had a lot of Golden Tiger ammo and no rifle in this caliber. Then came the Ruger American Ranch. They are not very expensive, so I bought one. After shooting it, I had to buy another because my son claimed the first one. They are very accurate with Golden Tiger ammo. So much so, that I have not started reloading for these rifles yet. They are not as ascetically pleasing as the CZ nor do they have iron sights. The lack of iron sights are a big negative for me but I haven't broken a scope in years, so not a deal killer. I like the Ruger magazines and the fact that they function as a last round hold open device. The safety functions in a manner that is more familiar to me and the scope is at the normal height. I put and A2 flash hider on the muzzle to keep it off the floor-mats and I have a great truck gun.

Although they share similar caliber, they are two different rifles. Both have positive and negative attributes. Before all this Covid-19 gun buying madness I was hoping that a drop in gun sales would spur Ruger into making a version of the American Ranch with iron sights, but that it just wishful thinking.

I would definitely look at both before deciding.
    I hadn't considered the Ruger bolt gun at all previously.

I wonder how the CZ compares to the Ruger for durability for things like rapid bolt work like is done at the Gunsite classes. I assume the CZ 527 handles that with no significant issues or one of the people here that used it at Gunsite would have commented on it.

Have you worked the bolt action on the Ruger much that way? I know at least a few early Savage Scouts had some problems getting through Gunsite classes till Savage beefed up one or two components.

I assume for field stripping, cleaning, etc the CZ & Ruger would be comparable.

I do like the Ruger sharing mag with the Mini 30, I had already been thinking about pairing the CZ with a SKS or AK. So pairing the Ruger bolt gun with Mini 30 would make equal sense though obviously neither would be as tough as SKS or AK. At this stage in life I'm nowhere near durable enough for that to be likely to matter :/

Kinda went down the CZ527 hole a few years back and eventually had a .223 rebarreled into 6.8SPC. IIRC John Brandstatter used the 7.62x39 bottom metal and a 270 barrel.

Handy rifle. A RDS would make it even better.

User Tag List