Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Glock still relevant?

Is Glock still relevant?

I know I am opening up a can of worms, but I enjoy watching the world burn. Is Glock still the best? Obviously, this is somewhat objective, but it's a legitimate question. Reliability, accuracy, and price have all been matched. The weight is not as easy to rival, but it's been done by the PPQ, Sig P320, and M&P. Most others come within a few ounces which amount to nearly nothing. For it's time, the Glock was revolutionary, but the design has not changed besides a few small changes here and there (which have led to issues with the reliability of the gun). Take the XD for example. Heavier? Yes, absolutely. As reliable? Yes. The XD has passed the "Glock" torture test with no issues. It's accuracy is better and the ergonomics are better. Again, some of this is subjective, but it's for the sake of the argument. Another top contender is the PPQ. It has a vastly superior trigger and ergonomics which lend itself to better accuracy. It's also just a hair over Glock's weight, yet it is shot down by all the Glock fanboys because it's not as proven. Well, nothing that is created after 1982 will have the service record of Glock because the only way it could be around as long is for glock to go out of business. Yet after reports from a handful of LEO's and SWAT teamsters, plus some torture tests that have been documented, it has been proven to be extremely reliable. Yet it is hated. Now, that being said, the aftermarket support for the Glock is undeniable and unbeatable except by the 1911. But, many common customizations made to glocks can be found, stock, on other new guns. So, why buy a Glock?

Throw whatever you've got.

EDIT:
    I'd like to say that, while I'm looking forward to the ensuing forum war, I am honestly curious what arguments people have for or against Glock. I had this discussion with a close friend and I'd like to escape my echo chamber.
    Last edited by TheBaconator757; 04-03-2017 at 06:19 PM.

As long as they dominate the agency and consumer market, my guess is they are relevent. Not sure how many challengers will be relevent.

The 320 will be very relevent. Others? Whatever relevent means in this context.

Check out Hackathorn's post 2017 SHOT commentary about the SFA pistol market.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-03-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Is Glock still the best?
    I think there are many of "the best" and I think the gooder/worser () really boils down to the user and what they need.

The Glocks have been tested, and tested again, so have others. There are more qualified people to comment on this than me.

I like Glocks, I have been into Glocks for awhile now and see no reason to explore other SFA options. Just my $.02. If I was just starting out all over again in 2017, who knows?

Again, just a very brief $.02. I would also like to see and/or hear more about the reports about the PPQ. As for the XD... well the XD has/had its own issues.

I have never understood the use of "relevance" in this context.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Relevant or the best is two different things. Best is subjective. Relevant is difficult to deny. It's still the striker fired gun all other striker fired guns are compared against.

For the XD, there are a few issues like there are issues with any gun (including Glock). Any mechanical object will have it's issues and anything that's mass produced will have it's lemons. As for the PPQ, you can reference the Military Arms Channel Gauntlet test of the PPQ as well as a few forum posts about the PPQ. I'm far too lazy to take the time to find all the links, but I have seen them out there. I'd like to put out the disclaimer for the PPQ that while in some tests it failed less, it failed worse. Like in MAC's test, it had I think like one or two less stoppages, but it got locked up while the Glock was easy to clear. So, take that how you want.

And of course, different guns suit different users, but I'm just wondering why people still view the Glock with a certain kind of mystique and immediately toss other guns aside.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Relevant or the best is two different things. Best is subjective. Relevant is difficult to deny. It's still the striker fired gun all other striker fired guns are compared against.
    This is a great point. Every new SFA gun is always measured against the closest comparable Glock model. Obviously there are some items that are better/worse than said Glock, but the Glock is still the metric.

I'm not a Glock fanboy, but my safe is a piece of Vienna. I haven't found a reason to shift that metric, despite trying and spending money in those attempts.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Vending Machine Operator
    No. The Glock is not relevant. Is, in fact, actually not a gun at all. It is a textbook about macroeconomics. We have all been such fools. How is "Exploring Macroeconomics" going to protect my family?!
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-03-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

[emoji173] this Tom_Jones guy

Is Glock still relevant?

Glock may not really be "perfection", but if you're in the market for a striker-fired pistol the question is still "why not buy a Glock"? There're answers to that question, but it's still a question that has to be asked.

It's still the standard to which others are compared. No one is out trying to unseat the XD or M&P. Nobody does a headline for the latest "VP9 Killer".

The P320 getting the M17 contract is probably the biggest shakeup so far, but it could also turn out to be the gun that has every serviceman going "why didn't we get Glocks" in 3 years, too.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 04-03-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Daggum typos/grammarz
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Lol "is Glock still relevant".

Answer: Yes.

Is it the best? Well I guess that depends on your needs. Regardless, I suspect that barring some major gun breakthrough, the Glock 19 is still the contender to beat for the pound for pound champ of concealable self defense firearms.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List