Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    FYI for other dead bird wearers, REI has the Bastion pants (30" and 32" inseam) on closeout right now.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

I just ordered the stretchy mountain khakis from amazon. Stretchy pants rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Says soccer moms everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Says soccer moms everywhere.
    In fact, I think MK only makes stretchy pants for women...

and Mirolynmonbro, don't say we didn't warn you about the shrinkage and durability issues of MK. I refused to listen, and I got mega-screwed and stuck with a bunch of pairs of useless pants. MK says they'll exchange them *IF* I bought direct from them and can show a receipt that's less than a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    and Mirolynmonbro, don't say we didn't warn you about the shrinkage and durability issues of MK. I refused to listen, and I got mega-screwed and stuck with a bunch of pairs of useless pants. MK says they'll exchange them *IF* I bought direct from them and can show a receipt that's less than a year old.
    MK requires one to purchase the pants direct in order to obtain warranty relief? If I buy a pair of their pants from Amazon, factory-new, I do not enjoy the benefit of full warranty protection?

If true, then that brand is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    MK requires one to purchase the pants direct in order to obtain warranty relief? If I buy a pair of their pants from Amazon, factory-new, I do not enjoy the benefit of full warranty protection?

Last year I bought 2 pair of pants direct from MK, returned them & ordered 2 more in a larger size.

It took me over 60 days to get $400.+ of CC charges reversed, had MUCH difficulty w/ them just locating the first returned pairs @ their wharehouse in NC, then just getting the right (4+ telcons) POC on the ph was another PITA.

At the end of the day, all 4 pair were returned, some 60+ days later my CC showed the credits & I moved on from MK.

Just my experiences, YMMV (overused but relevant) as other choices are out there & life is just too short for their ineptness etc. IMO.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 01-26-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: cleaned up verbiage

Hehe. They're these ones, but I ordered from amazon. I really like the Columbia royal ridge pants too, but these look a bit thicker and less like hiking pants

http://www.mountainkhakis.com/produc...l-107-pant.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post

That's what they told me. I sent them pictures of multiple pairs of the same pants that were now different sizes due to shrinkage (to say nothing of the pockets that shredded) and they said they'd exchange if they were <1 year old and purchased direct.

I love the pants and jeans, when new, but the shrinkage and durability leave a lot to be desired. What really sucks is that I was doing great with them for at least a year, but evidently that's because I owned 4 pairs and was wearing each only once every two weeks. Eventually they turned into skin-tight high waders. Both the jeans and the khakis.
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-26-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Quite disappointing re: MK.

As luck would have it, I'm wearing a pair of MK Camber 107 right now. I have had them for almost a year (?), wearing them frequently. I wash them in cold water and dry them in the Permanent Press cycle until barely damp, just as I do with all my non-white clothing. Waist and thighs still seem to be a fine fit, but they seem to have shrunk in length about an inch. I have two other pair and haven't noticed significant shrinkage. Maybe I'm lucky. But still, the reported Customer Service is poor.

I have no experience with MK pants, but the easiest solution if you like them is to size up and wash them as infrequently as possible. I looked at their website and it says the pants are garment washed (washed after being sewn together, but doesn't guarantee they will be pre-shrunk) but makes no mention of the fabric being sanforized (a process which reduces the amount a fabric will shrink) or not. I would find it unlikely to have an unsaforized fabric with any spandex content but certainly not impossible. Unsanforized fabrics can shrink up to 10% when washed, and even though sanforized fabrics are only supposed to shrink 1-3% when washed, it can be up to 5% depending on weave density.

Twill fabrics shrink more with the grain (warp) than crossgrain (weft) which is why the inseam shrinks more than the waist. When the pants get tighter they also get less durable as they are under more stress. This is why you will see a baggy pair of $30 jeans last forever and you will get a crotch blowout in 6 months in a pair of $300 skinny jeans. Fortunately the fabrics relax back to their natural size (or sometimes bigger) with wearing, but the downside is you can't wash them. Even washing in cold water and air drying will cause some shrinkage. Fortunately as long as you don't get your pants filthy they don't actually get that dirty if you don't wash them for a while.

User Tag List