Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 5-shot gun again

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I’ve always looked at small revolvers as risk assessment and pocket carry guns. Life is about risk assessment and it’s part of what we do on a daily basis, from driving fast, powering through a yellow light or calculating the need for heavy artillery when we leave the house.

Nothing carries like a revolver in a pocket. There are always trade-offs in risk assessment, and the odds of an outlier is definitely not 0.

Revolvers are a great tool for those who don’t train and maintain their gun. Chances are it will work fine 10 years after being stuffed in the sock drawer. Small revolvers are also very hard to disarm and I’ve deliberately selected them working undercover at bad breath ranges, and been glad I did.

I’d much rather see someone drop an airweight in their pocket than leave a G19 at home.

For me now, I rarely pocket carry anymore. The new small semiautos like the G42/43 and Walther PPSM2 have definitely cut into small revolver popularity. I’ve personally moved to the G42 and Walther PPSM2 for my baby guns, but a small revolver still punches well above it’s weight.
    Excellent analysis. This sums it up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I’ve always looked at small revolvers as risk assessment and pocket carry guns. Life is about risk assessment and it’s part of what we do on a daily basis, from driving fast, powering through a yellow light or calculating the need for heavy artillery when we leave the house.

Nothing carries like a revolver in a pocket. There are always trade-offs in risk assessment, and the odds of an outlier is definitely not 0.

Revolvers are a great tool for those who don’t train and maintain their gun. Chances are it will work fine 10 years after being stuffed in the sock drawer. Small revolvers are also very hard to disarm and I’ve deliberately selected them working undercover at bad breath ranges, and been glad I did.

I’d much rather see someone drop an airweight in their pocket than leave a G19 at home.

For me now, I rarely pocket carry anymore. The new small semiautos like the G42/43 and Walther PPSM2 have definitely cut into small revolver popularity. I’ve personally moved to the G42 and Walther PPSM2 for my baby guns, but a small revolver still punches well above it’s weight.
    Great post, and I would also add that I would rather see someone with a Airweight in their pocket than a carry a Glock 19 they cannot perform a SAFE loaded chamber verification check.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Great post, and I would also add that I would rather see someone with a Airweight in their pocket than a carry a Glock 19 they cannot perform a SAFE loaded chamber verification check.
    I had an incident this week were a fellow shot his wife in the leg clearing her pistol for her. Several witnesses, everyone agreed it was accidental. She thought she might have grabbed his magazine by mistake, he "cleared" her pistol to check, then shot her in the leg when he pulled the trigger to break down the gun.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

My personal perspective: I don't do key fob guns. I find them harder to shoot and less capable in an overall sense. Meaning, I don't like to count on statistics and prefer a weapon that can accomplish the widest range of conceivable tasks. For years it was a 1911 with two spare mags. Now, it's a Beretta 92 with one spare mag. With that, I have reasonable confidence in my problem solving abilities.

My perspective on the big picture: it doesn't really matter. So much of what's really important occurs between the ears. To the extent that those factors far outweigh the choice of hardware. Pick your tool and leave the talisman at home, then go train.

Postscript: I think revolvers are great for amateurs, which includes the majority of the gun carrying public. Most negligent incidents occur during administrative handling and wheelguns are much more forgiving in that realm.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-14-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I had an incident this week were a fellow shot his wife in the leg clearing her pistol for her. Several witnesses, everyone agreed it was accidental. She thought she might have grabbed his magazine by mistake, he "cleared" her pistol to check, then shot her in the leg when he pulled the trigger to break down the gun.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I carry a 642 revolver in my front pocket. It's light, 13 oz unloaded, the shape allows me to draw it with my hand wrapped around the handle(something I can't do with the semi). It's easy to carry. If I were to carry in a belt holster a 2-1/2" model 19 would fill the bill or a lightweight Commander. I am not trying to prepare for a firefight. In a firefight I want something belt fed.
    Last edited by Pistol Pete 10; 06-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.

There are a lot of situations where you just can't carry a G19. If you wear any sort of tailored clothes, for instance. A j-frame with a belt clip can ALWAYS be concealed, even in running shorts and a t-shirt...or in a tailored suit...or normal casual wear in hot climates. I don't think anyone would argue a G19 isn't better (though a G17 is noticeably better than a G19) it's that not all of us can hide a G19 all the time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Was the fellow old or inexperienced?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Was the fellow old or inexperienced?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You need to spend time at a public shooting range just watching people.....absolutely horrific on every level covering every age, gender and experience level. Even “experiences” shooters are terrible. Seen a bunch of guys at competition events who can jack the slide and catch a round in the air (which is a practice that pegs my meter every time I see it), but their finger is resting in the trigger guard.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    You need to spend time at a public shooting range just watching people.....absolutely horrific on every level covering every age, gender and experience level. Even “experiences” shooters are terrible. Seen a bunch of guys at competition events who can jack the slide and catch a round in the air (which is a practice that pegs my meter every time I see it), but their finger is resting in the trigger guard.
    The ejecto-catch is literally the coolest thing in the world. 😉

User Tag List