Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

I hunt a lot with a shotgun. Mostly white tail deer. I'd estimate I've harvested over 75 deer with a shotgun in the last 20 years. I loved the 3" and 3.5" Federal Premium #1 buck loads and was very, very sad when they discontinued the load, especially the 3.5". Since then, I've been using the Federal Premium 3" 00 buck with flight control and it has performed very well. I use the Federal Premium 3" #4 buck for coyotes but it has never impressed me on deer.

We use the Federal Power Shok 3" #2 buck for the kids in the 20 gauge guns and keep the shots to around 25 yards, it seems to kill them just fine.

I use slugs for 4 legged critters and buck for the homestead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An unobstructed shot with #4 buckshot is likely have enough pellets reach adequate penetration depth to be effective. However, add some obstructions then it may be lacking; there are several instances where #4 buckshot was not as effective as desired in real world defensive use. If #4 is all that was available, I would not hesitate to use it. Since #1 buckshot has ALL the pellets in the ideal range it is the preferred option.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Winter time always make me nervous. Carharts and layers. I have the luxury of not having to worry of over penetration though. No neighbors that are close and no kids. The dogs stay in the room with me and the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought ten boxes of Truball Penetrator slugs, because, well, the Houston Marathon is this weekend, the Stupid Bowl will follow in two weeks, and, when the public is concentrated in an area easily accessible to a street, the terrs seems to like using trucks, lately. With our mandated patrol rifle ammo being 55-grain softpoints, I reckon I will have this one advantage over the young buck officers with their carbines.

My Brenneke slugs were getting to be quite old, and needed replacing. I am grateful to DocGKR for the post on these slugs in the Ammunition section of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I just bought ten boxes of Truball Penetrator slugs, because, well, the Houston Marathon is this weekend, the Stupid Bowl will follow in two weeks, and, when the public is concentrated in an area easily accessible to a street, the terrs seems to like using trucks, lately. With our mandated patrol rifle ammo being 55-grain softpoints, I reckon I will have this one advantage over the young buck officers with their carbines.

My Brenneke slugs were getting to be quite old, and needed replacing. I am grateful to DocGKR for the post on these slugs in the Ammunition section of the forum.
    I found that they shoot terribly in every shotgun I've used them in. 5" groups at 25 yards. Brennekke shoots into 1/2" at the same distance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

Just over a year ago I found some Truball on the shelves visiting WI. So I got both the hivel and lower velocity low recoil. The hivel recoil in my light pump was way too brutal for me! And inexplicably it would semi-seize up my pump (it's a late '50's vintage 870). I gave them to somebody that stocks up ammo but never shoots it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Work the angles. Take a knee so your shot is angled up, for example. Not ideal, but sometimes you've got to work the floor plan you're dealt.
    A very long time ago I read an Ayoob column on an officer who saved his partner's life by dropping to a knee. I spent a lot of time with my target stand pressed up to the berm working that shot, as well as dropping to supine. I also spend a lot of time drawing and stepping, not only as a way of trying to get the bad guy to miss, but also to stack assholes and improve backdrops. It's one of the few things I remember to mentally game when I'm in a stop and rob.

Planning for a dynamic 3D shooting backdrop is hard; practicing for it is harder; and finding good training in the topic is real tough. Darryl did a good job in the one class I've taken from him; it's hard to work around range limitations, but I think this topic has tremendous merit both specifically and as a way of forcing my brain out of the square range mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I found that they shoot terribly in every shotgun I've used them in. 5" groups at 25 yards. Brennekke shoots into 1/2" at the same distance for me.
    I doubt my old eyes can see well enough to take advantage of the difference between 1" and 5" at 25 yards, at least until the command staff lets us use optical sights. (I will probably retire before that happens, if it ever does.) I tried Scattergun Technologies' "ghost ring" sights on a previously-owned shotgun, and did not like them, so I will be using Remington rifle sights, or, if one of my other barrels performs notably better, a mere bead, or FO on a vent rib turkey barrel. Every shotgun barrel is a law unto itself.

Thanks for the heads-up, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Just over a year ago I found some Truball on the shelves visiting WI. So I got both the hivel and lower velocity low recoil. The hivel recoil in my light pump was way too brutal for me! And inexplicably it would semi-seize up my pump (it's a late '50's vintage 870). I gave them to somebody that stocks up ammo but never shoots it.
    I got the one ounce slug, at 1350 f.p.s., the only one in stock at GT Distributors in Austin. I also bought the recoil pad adapter for the Magpul SGA stock, so can put a larger recoil pad, made for the 870, on the SGA stock. If I feel the need, I may drive to Briley's, and get one of the weights that mounts at the terminal end of the magazine tube, replacing the stock cap.

I will admit that all slugs, except the "managed recoil" types, are brutal, at least from a stock-weight 870P.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-11-2017 at 10:37 AM.

User Tag List