Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR: Tom Givens 2-Day Combative Pistol, Everett WA June 2017

My Day 1 AAR:
    *error*error*processor overload*data input exceeds processor capacity try again tomorrow*

Seriously, lots to process, although so far so good. The P320 Carry is doing well for me. Minor glitches with the Detroit Holster "Hastings" holster, due to unfamiliarity with the Tek-Lok mount. Got it figured out when I got home and expect less struggles with the draw tomorrow.
    Last edited by Drang; 06-24-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

AAR: Tom Givens 2-Day Combative Pistol, Everett WA June 2017

Day 2 done.

Wow. I'm smoked. Great class, great instruction, great facility, great fellow students; I learned a ton and had a fantastic time.

I'm working on some thoughts, but it will be a few days post processing before I get my thoughts coalesced.

But, I did want to say:

Tom provided one of the best designed, reasoned, motivational, and usefully stressful instructional experiences I've ever had.

I believe if you are at all serious about learning to carry a gun, this is the course you need to take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 06-26-2017 at 12:13 AM. Reason: I suck at writing, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Day 2 done.

Wow. I'm smoked. Great class, great instruction, great facility, great fellow students; I learned a ton and had a fantastic time.

I'm working on some thoughts, but it will be a few days post processing before I get my thoughts coalesced.

But, I did want to say:

Tom provided one of the best designed, reasoned, motivational, and usefully stressful instructional experiences I've ever had.

I believe if you are at all serious about learning to carry a gun, this is the course you need to take.

^^^^^^
    This

I took the same class in May at the Boondock range near Clinton MS and I totally concur with Rich here.

I especially like Rich's use of the word "reasoned" to describe Tom's Combative Pistol course. It's so much more than a "how to shoot better" course, and that comes from Tom's experience as well as the fact that he's given so much thought about the issues involved.

I'm looking forward to Rich's more in depth thoughts on his experience.

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    ?..Got it figured out when I got home and expect less struggles with the draw tomorrow.
    FWIW, your draw looked much improved on Sunday. Rapid and smooth out, and you were very careful looking it in.

I added my first set of thoughts as it relates to me in my TJ:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post619146

So glad you got to go to a class with Tom. His classes aren't easy, but I can't recommend anyone more highly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    FWIW, your draw looked much improved on Sunday. Rapid and smooth out, and you were very careful looking it in.
    Thanks for the observation. Sunday felt better, that's for sure.
    Rick (the "WWI Re-enactor", who was in Ernest's class with me) pointed out that I was using too much force when holstering; I think I was fumbling the action a bit because of trying to get used to the light. When he mentioned it to me, I slowed down and it did seem to go better. "No prize for holstering first."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

It was nice to meet y'all in person. I would have posted sooner, but I just got through traffic.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

AAR: Tom Givens 2-Day Combative Pistol, Everett WA June 2017

Key Takeaways

I've had a few days to ruminate on this class.

As personal context, the bulk of my 32 year Systems Engineering industry experience was in Instructional Systems Design for US and foreign government entities. I feel, and continue to feel, this was one of the best educational experiences I've ever had.

The thoughts below are distilled from my class notes, and as well as my hazy 58-year old memory will allow. I've chosen to group and arrange them in my perceived order of importance in firearms training: Mindset first, Skillset second, and Toolset last.

Mindset

No one is coming to save you. Be polite, but evaluate every contact as if you might have to shoot them. Don't get complacent just because someone doesn't fit the “dangerous” stereotype. You can get killed by the oddest people.

Carry your gun on a routine, daily, habitual basis, every fucking day. The first rule of a gunfight, is to have a gun.

Spend a lot of training time on what you do often; a fair bit against that which is not common, and cover the rare things occasionally. You don't expect a malfunction, but if you have one, you don't want that to be the first time you realize you need to do a Tap Rack Bang.

Do not have “Range Rules” or “Street Rules” - just have “Safety Rules.” There is no backstop at the WalMart Parking Lot.

Accuracy is Critical – only hits count. You have the rest of your life to miss. Don't.

With a pistol, basically all you have is a 3/8” drill to make holes in things. Use the bumpy things on the slide, line them up in the window, and press straight back. Every single time. Otherwise you are pissing in the wind.

Skillset

Shoot close targets quickly, mid-range targets carefully, and small targets precisely.

Incorporate movement into your practice. Sidestep as you perform your presentations. If you can get two what the fucks from dude, you will be ahead of the game.

Look for opportunities to practice your skills as part of your daily routine. In the morning, holster up, like you mean it. When you put your gun down on the nightstand, draw to the ready, like you mean it. If you do this daily, you will have 730 good, solid repetitions, annually. These will build up.

If you find shooting low and away, move your trigger finger away from frame to avoid steering rounds. (I tried it. Damn. It works.)

Do not have “gun-specific” techniques.

Toolset

Carry a familiar, reliable, accurate gun with adequate magazine capacity.

Take care of your ammo. Don't buy the bottom of the barrel. Don't chamber duty ammo more than twice before tossing it into the range bin.

Well, that's about it as far as the first set of thoughts.

I am still working on what changes I am going to make to my equipment, as well as my training regimen.

I already concluded my P30SK is the wrong carry gun for EDC. It has inadequate mag capacity, a propensity for hanging up mags during reloads, and I found the LEM difficult to shoot well under stress.

I've already started to work on daily carry options for my VP9, and I need to go back and look at my dry practice regimen in light of the class. This will handily solve my "carry gun" and "competition gun", as they will be the "same gun".

I may also make a change in terms of how I was planning to approach competition, as in, I may opt to draw from concealment during matches. I need to re-think my mag carriers, both for USPSA, as well as an option for a reload on the street, as my BT double mag pouches sucked, really, and don't work well for either.

Bottom line, I kind of wished I'd taken this class a couple years ago.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-28-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: can't type, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    It was nice to meet y'all in person. I would have posted sooner, but I just got through traffic.
    Great meeting you jlw.

I signed up for Tac Con '18; if you are going next year, I'll see you in LR.

User Tag List