Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet Mr. Bobcat! He sounds Italian, but he's actually from Tennessee.

Way back in prehistory, before I knew better, I had at least four 21s in the house. I would frequently wander around Miami with one stuffed in each of the front pockets of my Columbia shorts. My wife carried one in her purse, or in a cheap UM soft holster in the small of her back while she was out exercising. My versions were 100% reliable as long as I fed them CCI Stingers - which, in the day, were cheap and readily available.

Even back then, I had no expectations of "stopping power" from a .22 LR, but I'd drilled into my wife's head that, should she need it, she needed to shove it up under her attacker's jaw and pull the trigger until it stopped shooting. I, on the other hand, routinely practiced Mossad-worthy eye socket shots from close range.

Ah, youth...

Take two boxes of Mini-Mags and call back.

I had a real deal Eyetalian M21 that did not reliably shoot any LR on the market at the time. The dealer actually took it back and gave me credit on its replacement. I trust the Tennesseans have done a better job.

Congratulations!

Notably, the title, and first part of your narrative, indicating US origin, had me thinking of a different Bobcat. Once upon a time, custom cut-down 1911 pistols, smaller than Commanders, were sometimes called "Bobcats." The term fell out of use with the introduction of the Officer's ACP, as "Officer's" then became a generic term.

Site Supporter
    I am surprised to learn that so many of you are getting good results from Stingers in your Beretta .22's. My understanding is that the design, which places the recoil springs under the grips and uses an arm to transfer the force from the recoil spring to the slide, could potentially result in problems if hyper-velocity ammo is used. If I understand correctly, Beretta warns against their use. Comments?

Meet Mr. Bobcat! He sounds Italian, but he's actually from Tennessee.

My Beretta Model 21A Owners Manual doesn't say anything about not shooting Stingers or hypervelocity .22s. What I noticed is the powder burn is slow enough that you do tend to get more muzzle flash out of the short barrel (at least with the Agulia hypervelocity rounds I used).
    Last edited by busykngt; 10-20-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    CCI Stingers have been among the most reliable loads in a 21a for me. According to my impression, the higher pressure ammunition helps extraction due to faster cycling. There is, of course, no extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am surprised to learn that so many of you are getting good results from Stingers in your Beretta .22's. My understanding is that the design, which places the recoil springs under the grips and uses an arm to transfer the force from the recoil spring to the slide, could potentially result in problems if hyper-velocity ammo is used. If I understand correctly, Beretta warns against their use. Comments?
    Bill - I'm embarrassed to say that I've never heard any of that before, so I can't begin to comment on it; only to say that my 21s worked just fine with the Stingers; keeping in mind that my through-put wasn't all that high (couple hundred rounds a year, maybe) and my experience is over 20 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Bill - I'm embarrassed to say that I've never heard any of that before, so I can't begin to comment on it; only to say that my 21s worked just fine with the Stingers; keeping in mind that my through-put wasn't all that high (couple hundred rounds a year, maybe) and my experience is over 20 years old...
    This is exactly what I would say. For some reason I really liked the little gun and found it pretty accurate. I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking I may want a new one now......

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    This is exactly what I would say. For some reason I really liked the little gun and found it pretty accurate. I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking I may want a new one now......
    I know. I REALLY have to stay off this site, because I get a serious case of the "wants" everytime I look here. Fuggedaboutit on the revolver subforum - that's just torture...

Vending Machine Operator
    I bought a damn VP9 LE and a Colt O1091 because of this forum. I apologize for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List