Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Coffeemakers

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I am a coffee heretic. I did not start drinking it at all until I started camping with my son in Boy Scouts about ten yrs ago as 40 something dad. As such I think that Bustelo Instant Espresso is great stuff. I think most "real" coffee is too woody, nutty, burnt tasting or some combination thereof.

6 oz of 185 degree water over 1 heaping tablespoon of the espresso. Agitate and add 1 heaping tablespoon of sugar. Agitate some more and add about 1 oz of half/half. Life is good.

https://www.target.com/p/caf-233-bus...RoClgkQAvD_BwE

That is all.

DB
    Also a coffee heretic myself. The Bustelo Espresso is good stuff in my pedestrian opinion as is Nescafé Taster's Choice French Roast Medium Dark Roast Instant (https://www.target.com/p/nescaf-233-...z/-/A-13481364) with a teaspoon or two of sugar.

I am sure that there those who'll sneer at what I like, but I am a simple guy who likes the simple stuff.

Although, I do go for the instant stuff mainly for convenience sake, I do on occasion break out the Pyrex Glass Percolator 7756 for a real cup (or 5) of the real brewed version using this https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/col...k-coffee-blend
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 03-27-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    That reminds me: something I really want to try should I ever get to Miami, is Cuban coffee. Anyone here had it/drink it? Opinions?
    It’s really something special. Way sweet compared to my usual tastes but, as RoyGBiv mentioned, the portions are small enough to not be overwhelming for me. It’s pretty much the only thing I really miss not visiting family in FL much anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My maternal grandparents drank coffee before bedtime. My parents’ last cup was about 8pm.

In retrospect, I’m surprised that I wasn’t drinking it at age six.
    I used to work for a Sergeant who was a former Marine helicopter crew chief. I swear he drank coffee any time he was awake. He had one of the 32 ounce 7/11 soda mugs that he drank coffee from. He’d be making a fresh pot at 0800 as we were dragging in from graves. I’m a big coffee drinker but I have no clue how he slept.

When I worked late swings I’d drink coffee about 0100 when quitting time was 0200. But I don’t do that anymore. My last cup is usually before 9-10PM. If I don’t get that cup I’ll wake up with a headache.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    That reminds me: something I really want to try should I ever get to Miami, is Cuban coffee. Anyone here had it/drink it? Opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Flavor = Awesome.
    Caffeine Level = 11

First time I had Cuban coffee was on a consulting gig in Miami. Client noticed me getting drowsy after lunch and took me to a local shop. I was surprised that the portion size was so small. Bigger than a shot, smaller than a cappuccino (see the smaller "cup" in the image below. I sipped slowly and enjoyed the strong, sweet flavor. Really nice.

By the time we got back to the office, my heart was pounding and I was sweating. And I was AWAKE! Lolz
    My experience has been that there’s a social aspect as well. Someone (secretary type, usually but on job sites it can be el jeffe) usually goes wandering around the office with that larger cup and a handful of the smaller ones, offering everyone a shot. They always look at me funny when I say “no”.

Like Roy, I had it once not knowing what I was getting into and that was more than enough for me.

On a side note, I don’t know how anything gets done in Miami offices. People wander in around 9, break for coffee and pastries at 10, take a two hour lunch starting at 11:30, more coffee in the afternoon, then want to leave by 3.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I used to work for a Sergeant who was a former Marine helicopter crew chief. I swear he drank coffee any time he was awake.
    During the Iraq War, when they were taking airmen and sailors as "individual augmentees", the Army was running a four week school on "how to play sojer" before sending them over there. The reports were that the first question from the sailors when beginning the school was "where's the coffee pot at?"
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Question for those who do French Press: What is the ideal temperature, and how do you insure you're there? Especially if you're using a kettle?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Question for those who do French Press: What is the ideal temperature, and how do you insure you're there? Especially if you're using a kettle?
    Hotter than you might think. 200 degrees F-ish. If you don't have an electric kettle, boil the water and let it sit for half a minute. That should be close. A Cuisinart electric kettle will let you choose the temperature in 5-degee increments, in which case you can pour it as soon as it hits the temperature.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Hotter than you might think. 200 degrees F-ish. If you don't have an electric kettle, boil the water and let it sit for half a minute. That should be close. A Cuisinart electric kettle will let you choose the temperature in 5-degee increments, in which case you can pour it as soon as it hits the temperature.
    Agreed. Don’t sweat it too much. It’s coffee, not, I don’t know, checking valve clearance. 🦄

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    The proper temperature would depend on your coffee and how it was roasted. Generally somewhere between 195F and 205F, assuming you don’t live somewhere where water boils at those temperatures.

There are several electric kettles on the market with fine PID temperature control if you want to upgrade to a new kettle. If not, consider buying a basic kitchen probe type thermometer and holding it in the water, but not resting on the bottom of the kettle to get a reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    There are several electric kettles on the market with fine PID temperature control if you want to upgrade to a new kettle. If not, consider buying a basic kitchen probe type thermometer and holding it in the water, but not resting on the bottom of the kettle to get a reading.
    We have an electric kettle, this sounds like an excuse to get a new one with precise controls, as opposed to ON/OFF.

EDIT TO ADD: My French press right now is one of the Stanley travel mugs, so I'm wondering if the insulation might make a difference.

Hmmm. They fixed the hot water tap in the break room. Too bad I always feel like I'm about to catch Ebola or zika or something in there, these people are pigs.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-03-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List