Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Hellcat banned from my department

Any updates on this? I messed around with two Hellcats at my LGS and could not replicate the issue to the point the trigger completely froze up after removing my finger from it. Pulling the trigger without engaging the tab (which I had to put effort in to making happen) and then engaging the tab once the trigger locked back of course did not allow me to manipulate the trigger any further back. Trying the same on other striker guns (Glock, M&P, CZ P-10) I did not have any similar trigger lock-up after pressing the trigger back without engaging the tab or hinge and then defeating the mechanism.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Make sure you shoot one. Unlike many here, I’m not an XD hater. Yet, I did not like how the Hellcat shot. Did a side be side with the P365, and thought the 365 shot better.
    The beef with the XD here isn't with how it shoots.....I think most of us here have shot one, and would agree it's a nice shooting pistol.

The reason we don't like the idea of using them for defensive matters is because it's not a duty grade pistol; apply Todd's Razor in context of duty weapons, "Uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Any updates on this? I messed around with two Hellcats at my LGS and could not replicate the issue to the point the trigger completely froze up after removing my finger from it. Pulling the trigger without engaging the tab (which I had to put effort in to making happen) and then engaging the tab once the trigger locked back of course did not allow me to manipulate the trigger any further back. Trying the same on other striker guns (Glock, M&P, CZ P-10) I did not have any similar trigger lock-up after pressing the trigger back without engaging the tab or hinge and then defeating the mechanism.
    Nothing has been sent out, but I can ask.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Make sure you shoot one. Unlike many here, I’m not an XD hater. Yet, I did not like how the Hellcat shot. Did a side be side with the P365, and thought the 365 shot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The beef with the XD here isn't with how it shoots.....I think most of us here have shot one, and would agree it's a nice shooting pistol.

The reason we don't like the idea of using them for defensive matters is because it's not a duty grade pistol; apply Todd's Razor in context of duty weapons, "Uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason".
    TGS is spot on here. The fact that the XD's "feel" good (trigger, grip, etc) in the gun store is how many new gun buyers wind up with them, along with the supply chain from SAI to the local gun store guys trying to make low information customers think the Croatian made XD is an "American" gun.

The main issues are:

Durability and reliability in both LE agency testing and training classes
    Lack of factory armorer and parts support- They want everything sent to the mother ship
    The grip safety locking the slide is unacceptable for injured shooter manipulations

While XDs are common in gun shops and on ranges, there are no significant LE or military users in the U.S. other than NYPD allowing the XDS and an optional personal off duty / BUG. Though it's worth noting the XDS is a slightly different design, among other things it's grip safety doesn't lock the slide like the XD/XD2 and XDM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The grip safety locking the slide is unacceptable for injured shooter manipulations
    To me, this is the biggest failing of the XD design and the main reason why it's unacceptable as a defensive/serious use tool.

The reliability factor is a concern for high-volume shooters, but for the average defense shooter, it's probably not a concern. But the gun being unable to be manipulated without the grip safety depressed, renders the gun too dependent on the grip safety in the event of a parts breakage rendering that safety inoperable.

Sure you could get a parts breakage render the grip safety on a 1911 inoperable (and likely the gun non-functional), but you can still manipulate the slide and disassemble the firearm to repair it; something that is impossible with the XD.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Any updates on this?
    There will be no updates for the forseeable future as this has been put on the back burner for higher priority uses of the armorer's time. If I hear anything I'll update, but it appears they will remain banned for us until such a time as it can be looked into again.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I can lock up the Hellcat and the CZ P10 series triggers by putting sideways pressure on the trigger when pulling it back. Jams the trigger safety into the frame and locks it up. Would seem to be related to this.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I can lock up the Hellcat and the CZ P10 series triggers by putting sideways pressure on the trigger when pulling it back. Jams the trigger safety into the frame and locks it up. Would seem to be related to this.
    I’ve done the same with the polymer Apex trigger for the M&P - no such issue with the metal version.

Can this issue with the hellcat & other pistols be fixed /w like a trigger upgrade? Is this something endemic with those blade/double trigger type safeties? Should I be concerned about this with my Glock 19 trigger? (noob,.. so I'm clueless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    Should I be concerned about this with my Glock 19 trigger? (noob,.. so I'm clueless.)
    No.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List