Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A pair and a spare: all identical?

You are getting some skewing by asking that question here.

The 90 guys that have duplicates of their carry gun are going to respond. The other 24,910 members here that don't have identical back up guns aren't responding.

(Like every person I know IRL, I don't have a pistol that is identical to my carry pistol. I probably should, though.)
    Last edited by BigD; 01-14-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Two of my Berettas. The rest are similar in that they all have G decockers and D springs, but other parts/grips/sights are not the same.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Only 51 posts ahead of mine discussing the OP's question? Son, I am disappoint.

Personally, I have 2 identical twins (P30), a fraternal twin (P30L), and a couple kissing cousins (P2000SK). They're all set up as similarly as possible (same sights, same alignment, etc.), have similar enough operating systems, and are at least uni-directional compatible for magazines. I'm practiced enough with each to be comfortable with moving between them without issues.

and @BigD is right on the money.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 01-14-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Mostly.

Carry G35 and a practice 35-Textured and Set up is identical
    Carry G34 and practice 34-Textured and Set up is identical

Gen 2 19-Textured and Set up is identical as above

Treebark texturing on frames
    Ameriglo Fronts with Orange Factory Paint
    Ameriglo Pro Operator Rears
    5.5 TRS with Glock OEM "-" connector
    Vickers Slide Release
    Glock Extended Mag Release, contoured and textured
    SCDs

I'm mainly a Glock-guy (+some other brands, too) and used to have some duplicates. Before retirement, I was issued a duty gun, which were: G22Gen2, G22Gen3, finally a G17Gen4. My duplicates were my personally-owned Glocks. Usually, it was just easier to leave the entire duty belt and uniform in a locker at work and commute in plain-clothes with a personally-owned off-duty gun.

As different Glock generations were made, at times, I ended up with three generations of the same model, e.g., a G19gen3, G19gen4, G19gen5. I ended up selling off the older generations of Glocks as I just shot and trained with only one. If a Glock temporarily broke down, I'd just carry a different model for a few days or a couple of weeks; or else cannibalize a part from another model temporarily.

Currently, I've still got several Glocks: G43, G17gen5, G19gen5, G34gen4, G26gen3, G23gen3, G30SF. If any one of them broke, I'd just carry one of the others until I repaired or replaced the broken one. Depending on one's needs, I think a person can get by with just two similar handguns, particularly if Glock. Parts and new Glocks are so readily available these days should you need them.

I'm ~40K rounds/year shooter, but this is spread out over many firearms. Things break. I've got some spare parts on hand. Replacement parts, if not found locally, takes ~2 business days from Brownell's. I've needed four Glock frames replaced over the years and Glock takes ~week between me shipping a Glock back to getting it back to me (more complicated when I lived in California and between the FFL receiving a new serial numbered gun and re-DROS, would take an additional 2 weeks).

Other brands and problems have taken, in some cases, months to get back (Kimber, Remington, Marlin, Guncrafter Industries) whether factory or local gunsmiths.

As someone with 3 of the same model used for carry, do we really need more than one? Or is it a justification for buying more guns?

Who am I kidding, I’ll take any excuse to buy more guns.

Site Supporter
    It struck me that I have another set in addition to PX4s and K (and N) frames. I recently acquired another M&P45 1.0 with thumb safety, so I have two of those, plus the M&P40 1.0 without the safety...a bit of a stretch, admittedly. Wish I could find a local smith who knows how to add a thumb safety to M&Ps. It seems that most folks around here are unaware that there are pistols other than Glocks.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    As someone with 3 of the same model used for carry, do we really need more than one? Or is it a justification for buying more guns?

Who am I kidding, I’ll take any excuse to buy more guns.
    Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. It's nice not dicking around with my carry pistols - they just stay loaded and holstered. I also have been dedicated to 9mm Glocks since I bought my first 10 years ago, so I am sitting on an ocean of parts, mags, holsters, etc.

Given that + the fact that most plastic handguns are kind of the same to me at the end of the day, there really never was a good reason to buy anything that wasn't another Glock when I had the itch for a new pistol.

It's actually kind of nice - I haven't bought a handgun in almost two years, and don't really feel any need to do so any time soon. Have everything I need and then some. The money is better spent on ammo anyway
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-16-2020 at 08:26 AM.

I think the "pair and a spare" was a legitimate belief from an earlier era.

However, today it probably isn't that big of a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Parts and new Glocks are so readily available these days should you need them.

Other brands and problems have taken, in some cases, months to get back (Kimber, Remington, Marlin, Guncrafter Industries) whether factory or local gunsmiths.
    With a gun like a Glock where you can find another one at several stores in town and that are so simple to plug and play parts you could break your gun and either replace it or repair it in less than a day.

I guess I can see a pair of the same even though I don’t do that, most of mine are similar. Full-size M&P, M&P 9c, 9&45 Shield, glock 22. Of one goes down I have something similar enough to plug in.

I personally couldn’t do 3 of the exact same thing, too boring 😂

But if that what you want to do, go for it.

User Tag List