Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Four Horsemen of the .45

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    A couple of questions.

1. How much weight does the 4566 save over the 4506?

2. @Lost River Regarding the 4586, is the trigger that bad? I thought it was a lightened trigger pull vs a traditional DAO.
    This won't answer your question, but as a point of interest:

The weight savings between these two is negligible, if any. The 4506 is an early production gun, whereas the 4566 is of 1990 or later manufacture. The 4566 features the heavier slide and frame of the later guns. The only real difference between the two is their subjective feel.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    This won't answer your question, but as a point of interest:

The weight savings between these two is negligible, if any. The 4506 is an early production gun, whereas the 4566 is of 1990 or later manufacture. The 4566 features the heavier slide and frame of the later guns. The only real difference between the two is their subjective feel.
    Thanks.

How do you like the feel and balance of the 4566 vs the 4506?

Thanks.

How do you like the feel and balance of the 4566 vs the 4506?
    I prefer the 4506 by a wide margin. I like a bit of weight out on the muzzle end, if you don't the 4566 is the way to go since the gun balances farther back in the hand. That's not specific to these two guns though. When I carried a 1911, I used a Colt Commander for four or five years, then went back to the 5 inch Govt. Model because I prefer the recoil impulse of the full size gun. It's the same with the Beretta 92, I carry the CenTac, but prefer shooting the full size model. My preference is the 4506 for the same reasons. I also prefer the early production variant to the later one. The design was beefed up to accommodate the 10mm, then standardized across the line to simplify production. The early 4506 is overbuilt for a .45 as it is, the later guns even more so. Although I wouldn't turn a nice one down, I like the older gun for carry.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-31-2020 at 02:27 PM.

A couple of questions.

1. How much weight does the 4566 save over the 4506?

2. @Lost River Regarding the 4586, is the trigger that bad? I thought it was a lightened trigger pull vs a traditional DAO.

Yes, they were not the best triggers.
    I could shoot them decently, but I shoot revolvers.

Plus I was a regional FI for my State. The vast majority of Troopers had a rather difficult time with the 4586. Good shooters would just do OK with it and mediocre, and below really struggled, and requals were a constant thing.

As soon as the guy who was obsessed with S&Ws and Mini 14s retired, we had a statewide conference and adopted G21s and select fire Colt M4s.

Our qual score went up substantially. Not just a little bit. Many of the guys who had been shooting in the low 70s were now shooting in the high 80% range and some even better. Numerous guys were shooting close to perfect scores, and a couple of the really good guys were shooting 100%.

Rifle quals were even better.

Guys were immensely happy about the change overall.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Attachment 50993

Guess I own it for nostalgia then...but accurate and reliable and not as heavy to carry as the all steel versions
    The 4563 is one of the best kept secrets in 3rd Gen .45s in my eye.

Basically a DA LW Commander.

I've thought about removing the rail on mine, so it would be like yours, but I am not sure I want to for the sake of what it would do to the value, since they are pretty uncommon guns.

Wish I had found one like yours so I would not have to go back and forth mentally.

How was the Gould and Goodrich level II holster?
    It was the first retention holster I’d used, so at the time I’d say it was fine. After that I spent 7 years with the 070, been using a 6360 for the last 2-3. Compared to the Safariland rigs the G&G was of similar quality but the retention was clunky to use. The twist after releasing the thumb break was unnatural and sensitive to gear behind it preventing release.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Wish I had found one like yours so I would not have to go back and forth mentally.
    I can relate, at the end of the day I had some pretty nice leather for the 4566, and it would not fit with the rail, so I just removed it when I decided to keep the gun. That opened the possibility of actually carrying the thing, which is why I in turn feel guilty about the fact I never do

Then I found a nice used bargain priced Kramer IWB #3 with my preferred FBI cant for this one, with provision for the rail (but no light) and I felt even worse since.

I haven't read back through the entire thread, but is there any respect for the M&P 45?

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I don’t believe the weight difference between 4566 and 4506 is much- they’re both significant. My first issued gun (in 2006) was a melonited decock only 4566 in a G&G level II holster. I wish I kept it after buying it from the agency upon adoption of M&P45s.
    That brings back memories— The first holster I was ever issued was a G&G Level III for a USP .45. I used it for several years before switching to a 070, which I greatly preferred. You don’t really hear too much about G&G holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I haven't read back through the entire thread, but is there any respect for the M&P 45?
    One of the nicest shooting plastic fantastics I've ever shot was a fellow troopers M&P45.

User Tag List