Page 362 of 725 FirstFirst ... 262312352360361362363364372412462 ... LastLast
Results 3,611 to 3,620 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The surgical/procedural masks probably won't help you avoid contracting the disease out in the world . I don't fully understand why the CDC recommended it, the most logical thing in my mind is that this may reduce spread by asymptomatic carriers.
    I understood it as a measure to keep the healthy from getting it (N95 style) rather than surgical style masks for preventing those already ill from spreading. I’m not a medical professional. So I have no idea about efficacy. My question to the smart guys is why not use masks even if it’s only a small reduction? I’m locked in my house until June by my governor in order to protect the most vulnerable. Wearing masks doesn't seem more extreme than that. If supply is the issue, why not go the homemade mask route such as proposed by Lex Fridman and others?

Another question to the medical types. I’ve read anecdotal evidence several places that the amount of virus a person receives in the initial exposure plays a role in severity of the illness. Some have even suggested that heavy repeated exposure such as medical professionals are subjected to, seem to cause severe illness beyond the age and underlying conditions. Is that true? If so, wouldn’t a mask greatly reduce the initial dose?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I understood it as a measure to keep the healthy from getting it (N95 style) rather than surgical style masks for preventing those already ill from spreading. I’m not a medical professional. So I have no idea about efficacy. My question to the smart guys is why not use masks even if it’s only a small reduction? I’m locked in my house until June by my governor in order to protect the most vulnerable. Wearing masks doesn't seem more extreme than that. If supply is the issue, why not go the homemade mask route such as proposed by Lex Fridman and others?

Another question to the medical types. I’ve read anecdotal evidence several places that the amount of virus a person receives in the initial exposure plays a role in severity of the illness. Some have even suggested that heavy repeated exposure such as medical professionals are subjected to, seem to cause severe illness beyond the age and underlying conditions. Is that true? If so, wouldn’t a mask greatly reduce the initial dose?
    1. The reasoning against wearing procedural masks willy nilly is twofold:

a. They don't filter the air that you are breathing - they are by design open and allow air to circulate around the corners of the mask. This makes them not very effective at preventing airborne droplet transmission.

b. This gives wearers a false sense of protection - which may encourage riskier behavior - and also depletes these PPE for people who need them, ie all the healthcare workers etc.

2. The viral dose-dependency thing is a hypothesis based on the number/severity of healthcare workers falling ill. It hasn't been proven 100% exactly. Either way, these masks really wouldn't necessarily provide that protection as they are open masks.

The best argument I can see for the pan-usage is that there are a lot of contagious individuals without symptoms, and if one of them wears the mask, it may reduce community spread.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post

If the primary transmission path is respiratory droplets, it's hard to see how masks wouldn't be at least a small improvement. I would think it falls under "does no harm" UNLESS it gives a false sense of security.

On the other hand, if the argument is best bang for the buck, I can understand that "everybody should wear a N95 mask" doesn't make sense when good masks are barely available for those who need them most.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I think a few dozen hours of community service (livestreamed) of them scrubbing hospital toilets and bathrooms would be a great deterrent.
    Bring back shame. Love the idea.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Anyway seems like the CDC is having second thoughts.

CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public.
    This was the Surgeon General on Fox this morning.
    I'm sure I have confirmation bias on this subject, but, he gives 4 (?) reasons for not wearing a mask.
    I heard.... BS... BS.... BS... Real Reason.

YMMV.

Surgeon General: Data doesn't back up wearing masks in public amid coronavirus pandemic
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...h-15167883.php

USS Theodore Roosevelt is non mission capable as the virus spreads dramatically among the crew.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

53 patients is a real small number. I can't put too much faith in their findings personally.

cc

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rk-harbor.html

USNS Comfort arrives in NYC, and guess what, large crowds gather to watch it.

JFC.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...h-15167883.php

USS Theodore Roosevelt is non mission capable as the virus spreads dramatically among the crew.
    I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure the Navy will fuck this up.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List