Page 50 of 126 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    50 deaths a year? A far cry from bears in the entire world.
    Sure, but the fatalism is interesting. Maybe it’s Islam? I heard a talk about the region and folks there were like “if it’s my time... the tiger will take me.”
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Probably tracks the percentage of people living in Chicago or Mexico and worrying about being the victim of crime.

My experience is the day after a grizzly is around, everyone is taking precautions. Those precautions lessen each day that there is no new bear sighting, until only those that carry every day regardless of a bear sighting, are armed.
    Even though I have a Glock 20, I rarely carry it. I carry a Glock 19 daily because I am far more worried about humans than I am bears. In fact, in the 40 years I have lived here there have been three unprovoked random murders and zero bear deaths. I have never figured out why bears just don't eat all the meth-heads.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Even though I have a Glock 20, I rarely carry it. I carry a Glock 19 daily because I am far more worried about humans than I am bears. In fact, in the 40 years I have lived here there have been three unprovoked random murders and zero bear deaths. I have never figured out why bears just don't eat all the meth-heads.
    Makes sense. A 9 will pop the brain pan anyway.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Name:  F5B6DFCB-B526-4208-859C-1BCA7118DD35.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  57.2 KB

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That is an amazing account of a tremendous will to survive.

"Now you're bleeding too bear." Ranks right up there with the great quotes of mortal combat.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    "The sergeant told me that, from the description of my attack and the way that bear behaved when they were looking for him, he believes it was a predatory attack, which is rare for grizzly bears."

I was thinking the same from his description of the bear's behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    "The sergeant told me that, from the description of my attack and the way that bear behaved when they were looking for him, he believes it was a predatory attack, which is rare for grizzly bears."

I was thinking the same from his description of the bear's behavior.
    Assuming the bear wasn’t just trying to steal the mountain bike, sure seemed predatory. Back to the 9mm discussion, I would take a semi auto 9 over a small pocket knife any day against a bear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Assuming the bear wasn’t just trying to steal the mountain bike, sure seemed predatory. Back to the 9mm discussion, I would take a semi auto 9 over a small pocket knife any day against a bear.
    Yes. I’d much rather take a gun to a bearfight than a knife. But, this story underscores the importance of edged weapons in our toolkit. Reachable by either hand, while under duress.

User Tag List