Page 234 of 241 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2408

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    NH liquor is offering Yellowstone.
    What does it taste like fellas?
    What would you compare it to in taste?
    I'm no good at describing how I can taste tobacco, leather, cherries plus a hint of motor oil and Gojo in a liquor. I either like it or I don't.

It's not on the sweet side, but I'd take McKenna or JTS Brown over either. I think I've been tainted by the Heaven Hill spectrum of bourbons somehow.

It's probably not very much different than Elijah Craig, but I'm going from memory more than recent experience.

ETA: If it won a Gold Medal at the SF Spirits competition this year, and they didn't pay someone off, I guess more than a few people like it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    NH liquor is offering Yellowstone.
    What does it taste like fellas?
    What would you compare it to in taste?
    Floral. Smooth. Not smoky or peaty. Slightly artificial, like something was missing. I mean, I liked it, but I’m not sure I’d buy it again.

FTR I drink Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, normally. We just happened to be in KY, so I got a couple new options to try out, but I am no major league drinker for sure.

It just so happens I click on this thread when my wife is furiously putting up Christmas and the kids are doing their best to drive me to drinking... And there is a bottle of Bulliet that needs finished off.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Floral. Smooth. Not smoky or peaty. Slightly artificial, like something was missing. I mean, I liked it, but I’m not sure I’d buy it again.

FTR I drink Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, normally. We just happened to be in KY, so I got a couple new options to try out, but I am no major league drinker for sure.
    Nor I.
    I treated myself to the Old Forester 1910 about a month ago. It was dark and flavorful, similar to the Double Oaked, and about the same price point.

Thanks for the comparison.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm no good at describing how I can taste tobacco, leather, cherries plus a hint of motor oil and Gojo in a liquor. I either like it or I don't.

It's not on the sweet side, but I'd take McKenna or JTS Brown over either. I think I've been tainted by the Heaven Hill spectrum of bourbons somehow.

It's probably not very much different than Elijah Craig, but I'm going from memory more than recent experience.

ETA: If it won a Gold Medal at the SF Spirits competition this year, and they didn't pay someone off, I guess more than a few people like it.
    Ever tried Larceny?

Also a Heaven Hill offering. A bit mellower, less oaked than Elijah Craig... I think you'd like it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Ever tried Larceny?

Also a Heaven Hill offering. A bit mellower, less oaked than Elijah Craig... I think you'd like it.
    I saw it on the shelf, haven't tried it. Thanks, B.

I have to try to find where my taste buds reside on the bourbon spectrum. Not too sweet, not too herbal or floral, a little rough, 100 proof / bottled in bond. Pretty much like the McKenna...and the JTS Brown which seems to be unavailable.

Fortunately, I found a single malt I love and wrote about in the scotch thread. So, that was a big win.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I saw it on the shelf, haven't tried it. Thanks, B.

I have to try to find where my taste buds reside on the bourbon spectrum. Not too sweet, not too herbal or floral, a little rough, 100 proof / bottled in bond. Pretty much like the McKenna...and the JTS Brown which seems to be unavailable.

Fortunately, I found a single malt I love and wrote about in the scotch thread. So, that was a big win.
    Blues, do you know yet whether you prefer a ryed or a wheated bourbon? I prefer ryed bourbons in general, but I've been impressed with Makers 46 Cask Strength for a good wheated bourbon at 100+ proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Blues, do you know yet whether you prefer a ryed or a wheated bourbon? I prefer ryed bourbons in general, but I've been impressed with Makers 46 Cask Strength for a good wheated bourbon at 100+ proof.

I can drink wheated whiskey every now and again, but it's too sweet for me to make a regular diet of. I'm not a rye drinker, but I'd venture that I probably prefer something with less wheat and more rye as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Wondering if @SeriousStudent has any insight on the Balcones sale?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    In case you missed it, Campari (which owns Wild Turkey) has bought Wilderness Trail, and Diageo bought Balcones.
    Note that Wilderness Trail sold a 70% majority stake for $420 million.

I'm just glad that I was able to enjoy their 8-year a couple months ago for $83 when an unfortunate number of folks were pooh-poohing it. I will remember this when 10-year comes out not long from now.
    Name:  CF055052-0140-4684-A86C-7949BD3D68AB.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  51.4 KB
    This what you were referencing? If not ever tried these?

User Tag List