Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Combatives University

I'm not hating on this like a lot of people hated on the Gracies Garage thing and were outraged at people earning a blue belt online without a proper IBJJ affiliated instructor to train them. But...

I might be fine if you want accountability (sort of, you can still quit) and a set of goals to achieve. But the lower belts are worth what you paid for them. Presumably you are already paying a BJJ instructor, so now you pay for the privilege of someone entirely different watching of video and saying "yep, he won that match." Or for someone to watch a video of you pressing X amount and saying "yep, you pressed X amount?" And you pay for someone to watch a video of you shooting a USPSA match and guess your skill level? Practiscore will tell you that in a few hours.

The objectives (strength standards, "fight/play BJJ" a X level, shoot at USPSA X class level) are worthy, but not seeing the need to pay someone to tell me I'm at that level.

But if it keeps you accountable and gives you a goal to aim for, then go for it.

Site Supporter
    I think this is a great idea, especially for folks who were in the military or are still in the military. It's VERY difficult to stay motivated when you PCS and have to start over again or when the military doesn't have a belt/ranking system. I think this is the answer to that. I've seen people at the Blue belt level for years but because they moved/PCS'd, they haven't been promoted. I also knew a Brown Belt that was crushing Black Belts for 2 years at his new duty station, and when he moved again, no promotion. Again, I think this will help prevent that.

Additionally, when moving and starting over it's hard to stay motivated and also think this will, keep people motivated to be accountable to someone.

Finally, with all of the issues that vets go through when they separate, I think this will continue on with a sense of belonging, give them goals and something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    I'm not hating on this like a lot of people hated on the Gracies Garage thing and were outraged at people earning a blue belt online without a proper IBJJ affiliated instructor to train them. But...

I might be fine if you want accountability (sort of, you can still quit) and a set of goals to achieve. But the lower belts are worth what you paid for them. Presumably you are already paying a BJJ instructor, so now you pay for the privilege of someone entirely different watching of video and saying "yep, he won that match." Or for someone to watch a video of you pressing X amount and saying "yep, you pressed X amount?" And you pay for someone to watch a video of you shooting a USPSA match and guess your skill level? Practiscore will tell you that in a few hours.

The objectives (strength standards, "fight/play BJJ" a X level, shoot at USPSA X class level) are worthy, but not seeing the need to pay someone to tell me I'm at that level.

But if it keeps you accountable and gives you a goal to aim for, then go for it.
    I think it is like a lot of things... if something doesent have value to you don't pay for it, but $35 bucks for a year is pretty cheap. I can not eat lunch out two days and it is more than covered.

I like that there is a set standard. I guess I could sandbag and only fight old guys like myself, but having experts say you are at X level has some value to me.

User Tag List