Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Handgun: Small 9mm Auto or 642 Airweight?

Site Supporter

Pocket Handgun: Small 9mm Auto or 642 Airweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Trstn View Post
    22lr revolver is the correct answer. 8 rounds of federal punch 22lr all day over any 38 or larger round in a snub.
    This assumes that the lady can manage the trigger. About 40% of the ladies I have taught had difficulty with triggers above 9 lb.

In my wife’s case, when she needs something tiny, it is my Kel-Tec P-32. Mine is 100% reliable and hits harder than any .22. I installed Wolf 11 lb. recoil springs and had some custom work done to improve its accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Best of both worlds…

I converted my 642-1 to 9mm. Also had it redone in NP3+. Still my off duty everything gun. Actually had it in my cargo pocket today, as I cut the grass.

J-frames take dedication. I’ve said it elsewhere, but unless you are willing to put in the time to practice, just go with a pocket 9mm. Easier to shoot.

When I converted mine, I was at the range practicing from not shooting it for three months (work being done). Had a RSO come by and tell me he will show me how to shoot. I had plenty of trigger time on the revolver prior to converting it, so I let him talk. He shot a group at 15 yards that three shots hit the paper… making like a 7” group. I put all 5 in a little over 2” group. Maybe had 25 rounds thru it after getting it back.
    What’s involved in converting to 9mm? I have a 442…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Best of both worlds…

I converted my 642-1 to 9mm. Also had it redone in NP3+. Still my off duty everything gun. Actually had it in my cargo pocket today, as I cut the grass.

J-frames take dedication. I’ve said it elsewhere, but unless you are willing to put in the time to practice, just go with a pocket 9mm. Easier to shoot.

When I converted mine, I was at the range practicing from not shooting it for three months (work being done). Had a RSO come by and tell me he will show me how to shoot. I had plenty of trigger time on the revolver prior to converting it, so I let him talk. He shot a group at 15 yards that three shots hit the paper… making like a 7” group. I put all 5 in a little over 2” group. Maybe had 25 rounds thru it after getting it back.
    Who did the conversion? Also, didn't S&W make a J-frame 9mm? I can't find it in current production anywhere.

ETA: I'm also looking at the 640 all-steel J frame in .357. I would have no intention of shooting .357 out of it, but I figure it would be more pleasant to shoot/practice with than the Airweight. The 642 is 14.4 oz while the 640 is 22.1 oz. I don't have anything to compare it too, so I'm not sure if that'd drag my shorts down or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'd like to go back to a J Frame S&W for the occasional pocket tote, but...
    -I'd want something from back when S&W knew how to make revolvers
    -And didn't have the Hillary Lock
    -I would want something with better sights, especially now that my eyes aren't as good
    -I would need a constant source of good wadcutters, for both carry and practice

The temptation is to find another old Model 36, bob the hammer, add some rubber boot grips, and one of those glue on XS front sight.
    Not a bad plan with the 36 but S&W does make runs of no-lock 442/642's on occasion. I have a 642-1 that doesn't have the lock. Other that that it's nothing special. I know some years back they made some 442s without it too, so they are out there.

ETA: I just saw Screwball's converted 642. It's like that but no moons.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What’s involved in converting to 9mm? I have a 442…
    Remove cylinder… send to either Pinnacle High Performance or TK Custom. I am partial to Pinnacle.

And then need moonclips, since there isn’t a headspace with the conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Who did the conversion? Also, didn't S&W make a J-frame 9mm? I can't find it in current production anywhere.

ETA: I'm also looking at the 640 all-steel J frame in .357. I would have no intention of shooting .357 out of it, but I figure it would be more pleasant to shoot/practice with than the Airweight. The 642 is 14.4 oz while the 640 is 22.1 oz. I don't have anything to compare it too, so I'm not sure if that'd drag my shorts down or not.
    940 was the stainless 9mm they made. There were a lot of issues with them and sticking chambers.

There was one 942 made… info below.

From The Standard Catalog of S&W by Supica and Nahas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    Every time I see a post about the P380 I think I need one. I love the P32 for its size and light recoil but I hate the sights.
    What sights? I took my P32 to the range and realized something on it besides a grove at the top of the slide has to be an improvement. I'm thinking a fiber optic rod glued to the top, or this laser. I saw this P-sight and the price is right but they don't work on second generation P-32's. It's a back-up to a back-up and I realize I will have to be close to get any hits on a target.

I've wondered about using the Mod 3 DCC clip and a cord to help carry the weight of a pocket holster(say a G26), but worry the cord could compromise the draw.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Not a bad plan with the 36 but S&W does make runs of no-lock 442/642's on occasion. I have a 642-1 that doesn't have the lock. Other that that it's nothing special. I know some years back they made some 442s without it too, so they are out there.
    I actually want the little bit of heaviness that the all steel 36 has. An old Bodyguard or other all steel K would also be very welcome.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

An Airweight J in 9mm with 547 style headspace and ejection… I’ll be in my bunk.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    @Screwball

I know it won’t extract and that you may have to poke the cartridges out, but can you shoot your converted 642 without moon clips?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    An Airweight J in 9mm with 547 style headspace and ejection… I’ll be in my bunk.
    I had a 940 and it wasn’t much fun to shoot. I can’t imagine that an airweight 9mm would be pleasant.

User Tag List