Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling WITHOUT SS pins results

How would using an old clothes dryer work for drying brass? Either by putting it in in mesh bags or just using the exhaust hose as a hot air source for drying brass.

Thanks for the heads up on the Home Depo $229 cement mixer. Incoming.

Is there any advantage to the black vs gray Hundo case guage ?
    Last edited by 1slow; 04-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    How would using an old clothes dryer work for drying brass. Either by putting it in in mesh bags or just using the exhaust hose as a hot air source for drying brass.

I've seen videos of people washing in clothes washers and drying in clothes driers. I would do it in one you do laundry in, but the concept is the same as a dehumidifier (heat and force the air out). I'd imagine better results in the tub for agitation and air circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I knew you would ask for that. Had to scroll back through about 1000 messages on the gun/shite talk text channel that runs incessantly with all my shooting girlfriends. Finally found it - had to look all the way back to Sunday. Crazy how many messages and pictures.

Doesn't look that bad if you have some basic woodworking tools and skills. He claims it works, no idea how well though.
    I'll have to give that a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    How would using an old clothes dryer work for drying brass? Either by putting it in in mesh bags or just using the exhaust hose as a hot air source for drying brass.

Is there any advantage to the black vs gray Hundo case guage ?
    I've only used the raw aluminum one. Simple is good.

I have no basis for this, but anodized *seems* like something that could chip if abused or maybe have slightly different tolerances. Don't really know much about it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Wet tumbling WITHOUT SS pins results

You guys convinced me to buy the FART. And the bulk citrus acid. I'm waiting on the dryer. Used the oven for my first large batch of brass. Cleaning turned out OK but it seemed to darken in the oven a bit. Gonna retumble half the batch and redry. See if the results are the same.

Last edited by H&KFanNC; 04-05-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added photo
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H&KFanNC View Post
    You guys convinced me to buy the FART. And the bulk citrus acid. I'm waiting on the dryer. Used the oven for my first large batch of brass. Cleaning turned out OK but it seemed to darken in the oven a bit. Gonna retumble half the batch and redry. See if the results are the same.

What temp / how long? I would think 180 or well less would be plenty....

I did 175, lowest the stove went, for 60 min.

Recipe was Lemonshine and AA Wash n Wax. Used a heaping teaspoon of the LS and a scientifically measured "glub" of the Wash N Wax.

I rewashed about half in the same recipe and I'm air drying. Going to compare colors when I get home from work tomorrow.

Using Tapatalk

Used the oven for my first large batch of brass. Cleaning turned out OK but it seemed to darken in the oven a bit. Gonna retumble half the batch and redry.
    Back when I USED to wet tumble I didn't have a dryer and would just lay them flat for a few days. Last night, as I posted, I tumbled a batch of 45. I just laid them on that towel on the basement floor. This morning I popped a primer and they were still wet. This evening I popped a primer and they looked pretty darn dry. I don't need to load these until Sunday morning.

Obviously local matters, this is in southern Ohio and it is not hot enough to be running the AC yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm in NC, with 43% humidity in the house at the moment.

I don't need to use the brass anytime soon. This is a test batch.

Using Tapatalk

I did 175, lowest the stove went, for 60 min.

Recipe was Lemonshine and AA Wash n Wax. Used a heaping teaspoon of the LS and a scientifically measured "glub" of the Wash N Wax.

I rewashed about half in the same recipe and I'm air drying. Going to compare colors when I get home from work tomorrow.

Might not be enough air circulation - hot moist brass oxidizes quickly.

User Tag List