Page 189 of 725 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239289689 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Something I heard out of Italy still haunts me; apparently, in some hospitals, patients >65 y/o and/or with comorbidites (diabetes, cancer, heart or kidney disease, etc) were not even being evaluated by an ICU physician and instead given mask O2 and comfort care. The idea of being put in the position of having to make that call is just nauseating to me.
    I could be wrong about this, but I think that might be less shocking to anyone who has spent a lot of time dealing with the Canadian medical system. I often tell the story about being sent home with broken bones because they wouldn't have anyone to see me until the following day, or maybe the day after that, and to take the bus back for 7 am to get in the lineup.

They did give me some pretty spiffy crutches, though, which was handy because my right foot was flopping all over the place.

I appreciate though that from the perspective of someone who would potentially be assessed as having one of those comorbidities, the gravity of the situation is very different. Frankly, if I didn't have a two month old baby, I doubt I would be giving any of this a second thought, but that is not an indication that the situation would be less serious, just that depending on your personal lens, this is either a greater or lesser problem. And despite being only mildly concerned, I won't be surprised if this kills one of his grandparents, say.

Maybe also part of the lack of concern I am getting from the people I'm talking to relates to the fact that most of them are in the pandemic numbers side of public health, and have been expecting a flu outbreak for their entire careers that was going to kill one in twenty Canadians, and so one in two or three hundred seems like a good solid dress rehearsal for the REAL plague that they've been dreading all this time.

Site Supporter
    Good. I encourage all of you to adopt the same attitude. If shit gets really ugly, we have to come together and not devolve into chaos.
    I was just telling someone how weird it's been in the stores. It's been chaotic, but everyone has been very respectful and helpful with each other. I've seen people splitting the last few items on a shelf instead of fighting over them. The employees at the Kroger I shop at are usually miserable because the place is so mismanaged, but even they were working their asses off yesterday and in good spirits. It's been a refreshing thing to see.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    There should have been pitchforks in 2008 because of the bank bailout. Still too big to fail.
    Even bigger, actually, because of all the mergers done to save the sinkers.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...and now for something completely different...

(If we can't laugh, we are doomed.)
    Gee thanks... now I have to find a triangle to add to my kit for next week. lol

Site Supporter
    I heard a few states are asking retired nurses to get in touch with their former employers and trying to find a way to streamline the process of renewing their license.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Just had our first case with a positive test, but the confirmatory test isn't back yet

I've actually been out of work for the past two days due to a fever of 102 and coughing. However I didn't meet criteria for testing the day I got sick. Those criteria just changed last night so I get to get tested Monday morning

cc
    Just read on the news that our presumptive case patient was visiting Louisiana when he/she got sick.

They then boarded a plane and flew to NC

WTF people!!!???

cc

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I was just telling someone how weird it's been in the stores. It's been chaotic, but everyone has been very respectful and helpful with each other. I've seen people splitting the last few items on a shelf instead of fighting over them. The employees at the Kroger I shop at are usually miserable because the place is so mismanaged, but even they were working their asses off yesterday and in good spirits. It's been a refreshing thing to see.
    Observed this phenomenon first-hand at a Sam's Club, yesterday. The place was nuts-to-butts busy and most other shoppers encountered were going out of their way to be courteous with others. It was kind of surprising. And heartening.

People at a nearby Target were jerks, though. Darting about, staring into their devices, blocking aisles with carts, randomly zigzagging in front of others with their eyes down. Kind of like the crowd in there every day. Business as usual.

Site Supporter
    Something I heard out of Italy still haunts me; apparently, in some hospitals, patients >65 y/o and/or with comorbidites (diabetes, cancer, heart or kidney disease, etc) were not even being evaluated by an ICU physician and instead given mask O2 and comfort care. The idea of being put in the position of having to make that call is just nauseating to me.
    This haunts me as well. I dread the thought of being in line for ventilation behind some morons that went to the Stars game a few nights ago.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    More news - France officially closes all non essential businesses as of midnight tonight.

Per NYT:

"The drastic measures come in response to a sharp uptick in the assault from the coronavirus, including a doubling of cases in the last 72 hours to 4,500.

There have been 91 deaths, and 300 coronavirus patients are in critical condition, half of them under 50 years of age."

Reminds me of a story my IM residency director told me.

He was night float, and had one MICU bed available. He just knew there would be an admission late in the night needing that bed. So when he was called to the emergency room to see a homeless, alcoholic, acidotic man he felt like he should save the ICU bed for someone more savable, deserving.

The next day came and that bed was still open, no one had needed it in the middle of the night, and in the meantime the alcoholic passed away

cc

User Tag List