Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

In reply to OP, I do have a 590A1 with SF forend but I don't realistically think I could grab it if someone saw fit to enter my house with conviction. The bedroom door is about 7' away from the front door, due to house design. I put faith in my G43 on the nightstand and two German Shepherds to interdict.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

No. I have no plan to ever shoot a shotgun or rifle in my house.

My light equipped hand gun is my answer to most home invasion senarios. My long gun safe is located in the garage so it is not immediately accessible. I have 2 small kids so unsecured weapons are not an option the night stand gun safe is the best I can do.

However there have been 2 times were the shootgun has come out. I live within a few miles of a maximum security prison and a few years ago there were one or two inmates on the loose I don't really remember the details but the shotgun came out then. The other time was just this last week we had a chopper hovering around the neighborhood and police cars driving through stoping at interections flash there lights and sirens for a quick secound then moving on. It was kind of wierd and I got the impression they were looking for someone so again the shotgun came out. I guess that is a long way of saying yes they are a part of my plan if I can get to them but the handgun with a wml will be filling the primary roll.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I have a pistol, light, and electronic earpro immediately accessible at night and may also have a pistol within arms reach other times depending on whatever activity i am engaged in. My go-to long gun is currently a suppressed 300 BLK carbine locked in a safe.

I like the idea of a suppressed long gun in case i ever need to fire it in the house (unlikely). But I am considering switching to either a shotgun or a Marlin 1894 .357Mag carbine for that role. Less likely to cause the legal system to want to crucify me if I ever have to use it. Also, I still do not have any formal training with the AR-style carbine and I don't think I am very good at it. Since I used lever guns for so many years they are just so much more natural to me and I feel much more confident handling one that I do an AR.
    Why not a suppressed .357 Levergun? As I recall, you have severe tinnitus so justifying the suppressor would be pretty straightforward if it came to that.

Site Supporter
    HCM, that is pretty cool. They must have been firing .38s as .357Magnum would obviously be supersonic.

Definitely a custom project. Not sure if it offers benefit over a suppressed 9mm pistol for HD? Perhaps if you have a good ghost ring sight set installed such as the XS sights.

On the other hand, the ability to shoot magnums makes it a pretty versatile package beyond just for defensive use within the home.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    HCM, that is pretty cool. They must have been firing .38s as .357Magnum would obviously be supersonic.

Definitely a custom project. Not sure if it offers benefit over a suppressed 9mm pistol for HD? Perhaps if you have a good ghost ring sight set installed such as the XS sights.

On the other hand, the ability to shoot magnums makes it a pretty versatile package beyond just for defensive use within the home.
    IME suppressed pistols are awkward and unwieldy. Plus so-called suppressor sights suck which brings you to Lasers or RDS.

A surpressed .357 lever gun, add an Aimpoints micro and a light you are in business. If I couldn't have the Aimpoints, the XS ghosting rear/ stripe front would be my 2nd choice.

The marlin or current Henry's would facilitate mounting an optic but I've seen Winchesters with forward mounted scout scopes and RDS. I would definitely do an Aimpoints micro over a scout scope.

Suppressors are going more and more mainstream. Ruger and S&W both have suppressors (S&W bought Gemtech) and I just read Basspro is now selling them.

It's not a new idea: http://www.guns.com/2012/05/18/nra-n...er-model-1894/
    Last edited by HCM; 08-06-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Yes a long gun is always out when I'm home. Obviously every situation will be different, but it will always be my first choice if I can get to it. There is always a handgun out when home (full size with light), and a handgun on me. Based on what we all know about terminal ballistics I'd feel foolish choosing a handgun if a rifle was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Yes a long gun is always out when I'm home. Obviously every situation will be different, but it will always be my first choice if I can get to it. There is always a handgun out when home (full size with light), and a handgun on me. Based on what we all know about terminal ballistics I'd feel foolish choosing a handgun if a rifle was an option.
    Name:  3f1fef897c7528b8f668aa603eca83d3.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  16.4 KB

"Just like a fed to take a handgun to a ... eh, nevermind!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Yes.

When I worked a set schedule, I relied upon a Glock on the night stand. However, ever since transferring facilities my official title is "floating charge nurse". What this means for work is that in a two week pay schedule, I generally work 4 doubles and 2 singles...these happen over 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift. What this means at home is that either I can't fall asleep, or when I do fall asleep it's like I'm in a coma and am generally a bit groggy upon awakening.

I'm no longer comfortable having a gun within arms reach of me while I'm sleeping. I have an AR/Aimpoint/Surefire/MSA Sordins staged (behind a position of cover) about five feet away from my bed. If something does, in fact, require a firearm-response, I want to be fully awake and cognizant enough to comfortably make that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Why not a suppressed .357 Levergun? As I recall, you have severe tinnitus so justifying the suppressor would be pretty straightforward if it came to that.
    That was amazing and now I want a .357 levergun more than ever.

My HD longarm of choice right now is a 30-30 levergun. I'm just better with the thing than I am my AR. Likely a training issue as I have way more time on grandad's gun, but I'm okay with that. I am looking at adding a shotgun to the armory for this purpose by tax time next year.

User Tag List