Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a long gun part of your home defense strategy?

If I were single, then I would consider my 870. But I'm not. My wife is a smaller person. She is capable and confidant with a light weight AR. She wants nothing to do with a 12 gage 870. So I have an AR with a white light located within the bedroom. It would take about 30 seconds to unlock and obtain. The home defense long gun has to work for every adult that may be in the household, not just me. So an AR is what is available.

The AR is for known threats in a static defense. The handgun with a WML is for unknown potential threats. For example, I hear a noise only to find one of the Step-Kids came back from college and is trying to be quiet so as to not wake up anyone. I hear signs of a forced entry, then it's a bit different response.

I keep a handgun with a WML staged in the bedroom. The, "pants on the floor with a holster attached" may work for me, but not so much for the wife if I am not at home at the time.

I also keep a smaller 9mm stashed on the first floor of the house. This is in case the wife or one of the adult kids are on the first floor when an issue occurs.

We tend to want to talk about hardware (guns) on firearm forums, when discussing home defense. Not saying that's a bad thing. But personally, I look at home defense as a layered approach. The layered approach would include things like outside lighting and keeping shrubs at bay so as to deny suspects concealment prior to forcing entry. Hardening the exterior with solid doors and real locks. A dog, preferable one that barks at strangers. All these things give us time to assess the situation and react.

I view a long gun as an option in my home defense plan. Depending on the situation, I may or may not grab the long gun. But it is definitely something I want as an option.

Yes--long guns are part of our home protection plan.

A lock box is immediately next to the bed with a light and green laser equipped RDS pistol.

In addition, a long gun is always readily available, either locked under the bed or in the bedroom closet safe. For this role, an AR15 is ideal and my first preference; however given current local laws and social mores, an 870 loaded with #1 buckshot and slugs in the side saddle is now our home defense long gun.

Likewise, given California's insipid and illogical regulations, an M1 rifle is now my vehicle travel companion rather than a more efficient modern weapon.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Seems like the 870, my former choice as primary long gun for HD until fairly recently, is leading the AR by a wide margin in this thread so far.

My 870 is a 15 year old Express with bead front sight, Surefire DSF-870 forend, +2 extension tube and a swift sling. It's currently loaded with Hornady TAP reduced recoil 00 (VersaTite) for inside the home.

The AR on the other hand has an Aimpoint H2, Streamlight TLR-1 HL, Wilson Combat trigger, sling and obviously quite a bit more firepower, (as opposed to pure stopping power). Has a mag of Hornady TAP "Urban" 55gr .223 inserted...with full magazines of 55gr and 64gr Gold Dot rounds close at hand.

I'd be interested in the thought processes involved for those who have both weapons but settled upon one or the other.
    I have both and used to have a BCM carbine in place of the 870. While they are not equal in capability across the full spectrum, for the spectrum indoors they are closer. I'm comfortable with either. Last year when I euthanized an injured deer with the #1 buck from about 5 yards, I was like "HOLY SHIT!!!". Then I switched.
    Last edited by JHC; 07-23-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm in for the bedside gun, plus the gun on the Vertx pants + misc EDC (light, etc) by the bed (my standard attire). Truthfully I work with pistol lots and carbine little an shotgun almost not all all anymore. Benelli M2 idea has me intrigued tho.

Lately I've swapped out the AR-15 / muffs in the closet for a 30 round AR-9 (Colt) with a mounted light as I am less leery of firing it indoors.

Big overly protective dog should help buy me a little time.

A pistol/brace or SBR + suppressor might change my perspective. 4.5" AR9 + suppressor is an idea I'm toying with.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

EDC gun on my nightstand and an 870 locked in underbed safe.
    David S.

I think, like many things, this is very experience and environment dependent.

In terms of the environment, for people that live in rural areas, or around large animals, long guns make a lot of sense for reach out ability and power. For example, we have had the same Benelli just inside the front door of our cabin the last seven years, and grab it to go start the generator, check on the dog, etc.

Experience also matters. I spent the last USPSA season shooting PCC, so a carbine of some form makes sense for my experience. Up in AK, I have the shotgun out every day already, so it is also around at night.

The power thing is also important to me. Just yesterday, I finished up my pistol session with the 14 inch Benelli, and just shot knocks the plates/posts/stands right over. See the 9mm hole, and see the Brenneke holes.

Name:  IMG_2454.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  43.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am not a fan of pistol caliber carbines in most circumstances, as they offer few advantages over other more effective long guns.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

My set up has changed since having a son. EDC pistol is in a quick access pistol safe on my nightstand when not on me. Gun safe with electronic key pad is in the room in case I have time to open it and grab my carbine.
    My plan is as follows:
    -Always locked and hardened doors and windows.
    -Two german shepherd alarm systems.
    -Get pistol first, if I have time get carbine out of the safe and move to top of stairs after handing pistol to my wife who is in the bath tub with our son calling 911.
    -Watch only way up to us, (stair way), with said carbine.

Like Sean, I am much better with a carbine than with a pistol. I have also fought and won(didn't die) with a carbine before, which may give me a false sense of confidence
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 07-23-2017 at 01:19 PM.

I have an older German bred boxer that was trained in schutzhund work but he is now retired and his only responsibility at 9 years old is to bark and then the responsibility falls on me. My wife and I reside in the first level master bedroom while our adult daughter has her bedroom upstairs. We have a very good security system with cameras at both entry doors and our door frames are heavy duty with heavy duty doors and bolt locks that lock automatically electronically after the door is shut. My wife keeps her edc gun on her nightstand and I keep my edc on me until bed time and then move to my nightstand as well with a separate surefire flashlight and at bedtime I put my KAC ar15 next to the bed with a mounted white light that goes back in the safe every morning. If the dog goes crazy I grab the KAC and move to the noise with my dog leading the way while wife dials 911 as I have to ensure the well being of our daughter that is upstairs. Even at 9 years old he has a great nose and knows when someone is in the house that is a stranger. Schutszhund is a great way to train a dog as it incorporates obedience, protection, and tracking which to me creates a well rounded protection animal.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Yes. In general:

- Handgun in the room/on me when I'm up and about, with the shotgun secured in the bedroom walk-in closet.
    - At night, shotgun is left unsecured and leaning near the bed; handgun is in a quick-access safe on the nightstand.
    - If things happen while I'm up and about and I have time and opportunity, I retreat to the bedroom, barricade, and dial 911.
    - If things happen while I'm up and about and I don't have time and opportunity, I deal with the problem as best I can with the handgun.
    - If things happen while I'm in bed, I roll out of bed, grab the shotgun, barricade, and dial 911.

I'm exploring options for quick-access single long gun safes to hopefully eliminate the possibility of unintentionally leaving an unsecured shotgun out when I'm not home.

User Tag List