Page 75 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    A family friend's elderly mother has "won the lottery" and is one of the few people who has been diagnosed with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease attributed to Covid infection. I have never met the woman, but it is a horrible way to go, and rough for her family. Yet another reason to avoid the thing.
    That really is a tough way to go, and I’m sorry to hear it. Any idea what the mechanism is that attributes the cause to C19?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That really is a tough way to go, and I’m sorry to hear it. Any idea what the mechanism is that attributes the cause to C19?
    No. I did some "medical research" (=google) for a few minutes and found a paper from early this year where they were describing what might have been the second known case that appeared to be attributable to Covid, with the diagnosis about a year ago. So it's super rare to be connected, as the condition is super rare in any case. And it's occurred to me that with such low numbers, it's possible to be just coincident in time and was going to happen anyway, but apparently the doctors are accepting the causal relationship for an otherwise healthy woman.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    No. I did some "medical research" (=google) for a few minutes and found a paper from early this year where they were describing what might have been the second known case that appeared to be attributable to Covid, with the diagnosis about a year ago. So it's super rare to be connected, as the condition is super rare in any case. And it's occurred to me that with such low numbers, it's possible to be just coincident in time and was going to happen anyway, but apparently the doctors are accepting the causal relationship for an otherwise healthy woman.
    I had a former student who died of that disease. Ghastly.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Update from Ellifritz on post-Covid condition: https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...-with-covid-19
    He's misinformed what normal sat parameters are but otherwise he has my sympathies. Covid sequelae suck.

We've had a couple of breakthroughs at work. Invariably community spread, mostly young kids bringing it home. Some folks felt very crummy but so far nobody hospitalized. Pfizer in all cases.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The spike protein appears to be causing neurodegeneration. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7988450/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    We've had a couple of breakthroughs at work. Invariably community spread, mostly young kids bringing it home. Some folks felt very crummy but so far nobody hospitalized. Pfizer in all cases.
    I'd like to see the breakthrough numbers for Phizer v Moderna. Haven't gone looking yet.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I wish GE a full recovery. After reading his posts on this and other subjects I am struck by the following:

1. I am surprised that he did not have some type of evac insurance in place given where he was traveling and the "conditions on the ground" in general and during a COVID pandemic in particular. Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see him advocating for such, even with the gift of hindsight.

2. GE posts: "I still caught the virus and spent a week in the hospital at a cost of more than $36,000 dollars."

a. Cost to whom?

b. GE's CV lists him as a LEO retiree after 25 years. Are we are to take that he does not health insurance (retiree/private/federal health exchange) such that he was out of pocket 36k?

c. I know that getting an international "rider" with BCBS for a trip to South America is less than 50.00 for a sub 30 day trip. I did that for a family member both to insure coverage in country (Brazil-Rio & Brasilia) but also to thwart any "coverage" issues should they be evac'ed out and somebody were to try and say they got "sick" when they had a break in coverage etc. The evac portion would have been handled by the school. I only post my personal anecdote pondering if where he got sick is being treated like a "pre-existing cond" somehow precluding any US based medical insurance he has in place such that he would personally incur a 36K bill.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'd like to see the breakthrough numbers for Phizer v Moderna. Haven't gone looking yet.
    The Google Says....
    Mayo Clinic: COVID Breakthrough Risk May Be Much Lower With Moderna Than Pfizer

The study found that in July in Florida, where COVID cases are at an all-time high and the delta variant is prevalent, the risk of a breakthrough case was 60% lower for Moderna recipients as compared to Pfizer recipients.

Similarly, in Minnesota last month, the authors found that the Moderna vaccine (also known as mRNA-1273) was 76% effective at preventing infection, but the Pfizer vaccine (known as BNT162b2) was 42% effective.
    Referenced study here: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....06.21261707v1
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    This is what I have been hearing locally - we have both of those here and I lined up the Moderna precisely because that was the word from a couple of people I know who had an eye on that.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Thats interesting. Up until now they've always said the effectiveness between Moderna and Pfizer was within a couple percent of each other. Strange that now there's a supposedly sizeable difference. Is it possible that it's just because Pfizer was more prevalent early on than Moderna, and that more Moderna vaxxed people are simply more recently vaxxed?

User Tag List