Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $399 SP-101 at CDNN - .38 Special

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Slightly larger, more Colt D frame size.
    Yes, as big as a D-Frame, but only five rounds, so hell for stout like Ruger tends to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yes, as big as a D-Frame, but only five rounds, so hell for stout like Ruger tends to be.
    Yup, the SP-101 is tough enough to shoot a steady diet of 158-grain .357 Magnum. It is not really a pocket revolver, so the three-inch version makes a ton of sense. About the only negative to the SP-101 is the factory trigger edges tend to abrade the trigger finger. A bit of file work solves that issue.

The gun comes apart quite simply with a screwdriver to release the grip frame from the cylinder frame and a pin (provided by Ruger) to capture the mainspring as the only tools needed. The grip frame stud allows lots of different grip sizes to work with the gun. I am partial to the original rubber boot grips with panel inserts that Ruger used back when the SP-101 was introduced.

Site Supporter
    I found the trigger would rip my finger as well. I also prefer the original grips. I think my biggest concern is by the time I pay shipping and transfer and grip I’ll exceed the price of a used sp101.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I found the trigger would rip my finger as well. I also prefer the original grips. I think my biggest concern is by the time I pay shipping and transfer and grip I’ll exceed the price of a used sp101.
    You’ll have a brand new 3” .38 that will last the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    From a pure financial standpoint, the used SP-101 is the better way to go. Most used revolvers were shot little, so a used one is likely to be fine. But one does not see many three-inch SP-101 revolvers. For every three-inch revolver, I probably see ten or more of the snubbie models. These are also a great basis for a custom revolver. I think these are a good deal and if I had not purchased two pistols this week, I would likely have bought one of these contract-overrun SP-101 revolvers. If there are any left next month, I will get one then.

Site Supporter
    These seem interesting, considering many folks are focused more on .38 these days:
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sp...l#.XKh9vXdFyUk

No affiliation, just heads-up.
    I watch CDNN - lots of junk - but some real jewels pop up there.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    But one does not see many three-inch SP-101 revolvers. … These are also a great basis for a custom revolver.
    This is the only name brand custom gun I have, it is from Gemini:
    Name:  Gemini SP.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  66.8 KB
    ETA: I also have a Sparks SS-2 and PMK for it, probably as close to a BBQ gun as I have
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    From a pure financial standpoint, the used SP-101 is the better way to go. Most used revolvers were shot little, so a used one is likely to be fine. But one does not see many three-inch SP-101 revolvers. For every three-inch revolver, I probably see ten or more of the snubbie models. These are also a great basis for a custom revolver. I think these are a good deal and if I had not purchased two pistols this week, I would likely have bought one of these contract-overrun SP-101 revolvers. If there are any left next month, I will get one then.
    That 's pretty much why I bought it, you don't see many 3" barreled SP101's or for that matter 3" barreled revolvers period. Since this was a contracted, non cataloged item, It's likely there weren't that many made, so, it's something you're not going to run across everyday..

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Damnit..ordered..
    "My enabling is done now"
    Rides off into the sunset...

Site Supporter
    "My enabling is done now"
    Rides off into the sunset...
    Someone is going to be scratching their heads Monday morning. CDNN will be wondering why the sudden influx of sp101 orders.

User Tag List