Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Video tutorial for forward carriage of primary equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I’m intrigued by the Tenicor VELO, but have some reservations about the wedge molded in to the holster. I wonder about issues with comfort due to varying body sizes and builds.
    The PHLster Classic has a built-in wedge that I like. But the downside is that you can't remove the wedge to use the holster anywhere other than AIWB.

Thanks very much for the excellent thread, Mr Douglas. This info is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Thanks for the response SouthNarc. I was excited to see this thread as I’m updating my wardrobe soon, and I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Brands I currently have and will keep involve J Crew, Banana Republic, Lacoste - luckily most of those have a good fit in my opinion and incorporate some flex/stretch into the material - look well, feel well, perform well.

I’ll look into the other brands mentioned - thanks all!

P.S. It may not suit some of you but the Nike and Billabong short offerings are attractive for those of us in hotter climates - mesh pockets, water resistant and quick to dry, good fit, able to stretch, etc.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'd like to try those newish 5.11 "stretch" jeans but hate to order a pair sight unseen.

See, now I feel liberated to post that.
    I have a pair of the non-skinny jean 5.11’s and like them a lot. One big complaint is the front pockets are way to shallow. My j frame pokes out the top of the pocket. Very irritating for an otherwise nice pair of jeans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Only a SN thread could get me trying on various pants and shorts. One thing I noticed, is fabric seems to matter, as I have some pants and shorts that are properly sized, but as the day goes on they get loose. Maybe Craig could do an add on to MUC called MUF, managing unknown fabrics.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I have a pair of the non-skinny jean 5.11’s and like them a lot. One big complaint is the front pockets are way to shallow. My j frame pokes out the top of the pocket. Very irritating for an otherwise nice pair of jeans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is a valid complaint. My phone barely fits all the way in the front pocket, and with the popularity of large phones I'm surprised they haven't made an adjustment to that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    "Also remember denim stretches up to 1.5” in the waist."
    Quoted for truth. This thread have given me much to reflect on. Please excuse the slight stream of consciousness/randomness of this post.

I have been carrying AIWB hardcore since 09 and have had my eyes opened by this thread re how much extra room one does NOT need in the waist with a quality AIWB set up.

As jeans have slimmed down in the past 5 yrs or so, I purchased (or was gifted) a few of pair of 36/34, acquired for the extra room thing that really is a product of the 300-430 o'clock IWB placement of old. Even with a G35 in a Shaggy/Keepers and an IWB mag pouch, I have a ton of extra room in the waist that I do not need. That extra fabric make the jeans look so sloppy that as I type this I have decided to put them in the Going to the Goodwill Bag

A couple of years back, in anticipation for going to NYC where I knew I was not going to carry a firearm, I purchased a pair of black and a pair of dark gray slim jeans from Old Navy in my true size -34/34. They are the 98% cotton 2 % stretch fabric blend that seems to have taken over the jean world for the good. As I sit here and type this, I note that I wear those "properly sized" AIWB with no issues to include using an IWB mag pouch when desired. The up to 1.5 inch waist stretch SN alluded to above is clearly my "margin of error." I am merely a sample of one but SN has sold me completely on his thesis.

I had already reached the conclusion that I no longer need XL in many shirts to conceal AIWB v. IWB. That realization a few years back went a very long way in reducing the "tactical teddy look" that an oversized square bottomed shirt conveys to the "trained" eye. I am 6' 2", 202 lbs today, 44L coat, 34 waist/34 inseam.

Take-a-ways for AIWB with a full sized Pistol (G19 or bigger)
    Good Belt
    Good Holster
    Stand Up Straight
    Buy Clothes that Fit
    Fabric/Patterns Matter
    8+ inch difference between chest and waist size really aids in concealment AIWB

YMMV
    david of vcdgrips.com
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 05-19-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    ...Take-a-ways for AIWB with a full sized Pistol (G19 or bigger)
    Good Belt
    Good Holster
    Stand Up Straight
    Buy Clothes that Fit
    Fabric/Patterns Matter
    8+ inch difference between chest and waist size really aids in concealment AIWB ...
    For those of you rushing out to Dunkin' Donuts...the chest is supposed to be larger of the two.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I normally wear jeans with 36 waist for AIWB/IWB carry, but this morning tried it with a pair of jeans with a 35 inch waist I usually save for OWB carry since they fit just right. I made it about 30 minutes before my gun pressing more into me became unbearable and was back in my 36s.

It may take some more experimenting, but this first attempt was particularly unpleasant.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

HCountyGuy, The VELO is purpose built for just inside the hip, some folks like 12:00 and the dual angled wedge would not work well there. For RH at 1 to 1:30, I think most people will find the two angles of the wedge to optimize concealment and not compromise comfort. Some are finding they want more wedge on the VELO if they are concealing a 17 or 34 with full grip. In that case, you can add a flat piece of foam or anything squishy. No need to contour it as the contour is built in. In the end, 100% satisfaction guaranteed. If you don't like it, I'll take it back with NO silly 30 days or anything like that.
    Head of Development and Strategy, Tenicor

User Tag List