Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lucky gunner's 10,000 round test of Brass vs steel cased. Good read.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Couldn't tell ya at the moment. I suspect you could find the old thread and browse it for some details. The rest is posted on other forums, I'll need to spend some time searching and refreshing myself on the article as I've written it off.
    So you don't have a opinion yourself? The article is right above if you want to review it. I'm not sure what you're getting at still honestly. I'm guessing you shoot a high volume of steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I would have liked to see them use higher quality rifles (Bushmaster QC is hit and miss at best). A Colt 6920 isn't that much more money and has top notch QC.
    I mean sure, but most people are not buying Colt 6920's. Your run of the mill people are buying cheap AR's and cheap ammo. I can't tell you how many friends I have that "won't spend that much money on that rifle with this one will do the exact same thing."

Plus 10K is the expected barrel life for a carbine gas system from most service literature.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    So you don't have a opinion yourself? The article is right above if you want to review it. I'm not sure what you're getting at still honestly. I'm guessing you shoot a high volume of steel?

If you're unhappy with the rate and time I've spent digging up old stuff and refreshing mysold on this in the last 24 hours you could always search yourself. There were threads here, M4C, WEvo, and a few other forums that have many crossover, as well as their Facebook page. They spent a fair amount of time discussing this when it was happening and even recruited shooters to assist them.

In short: Their "test" shows that they can shoot 10,000 rounds from four guns. Firearm quality, metal choices, and rate of fire will greatly influence the wear they showed. Their rof from all of the guns, at times, exceeded the rof from most reasonable carbine classes even. I'd think you could piece the rest together with some effort in the search bar.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    In short: Their "test" shows that they can shoot 10,000 rounds from four guns. Firearm quality, metal choices, and rate of fire will greatly influence the wear they showed. Their rof from all of the guns, at times, exceeded the rof from most reasonable carbine classes even. I'd think you could piece the rest together with some effort in the search bar.
    My main memory of the discussion was that rate of fire was much too high and that the test should have been conducted over many range sessions instead of a shooting marathon. I haven't looked at the article in a long time though. I also still happily shoot steel-cased ammo in the rare event that I shoot my ARs.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    My main memory of the discussion was that rate of fire was much too high and that the test should have been conducted over many range sessions instead of a shooting marathon. I haven't looked at the article in a long time though. I also still happily shoot steel-cased ammo in the rare event that I shoot my ARs.
    That's the biggest factor, IMHO. A normal firing schedule doesn't result in cook off.

If you treat your AR like a belt fed don't shoot steel case.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    How could it have been more useful?
    They could have spent more money on guns and ammo to increase sample size.

In short: Their "test" shows that they can shoot 10,000 rounds from four guns.
    And is valid in those four guns. At best it gives an idea of what can/will happen.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

And is valid in those four guns. At best it gives an idea of what can/will happen.
    In those four guns at those firing rates, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the article and concluded that the savings on steel cased ammo far exceeded the costs of a new barrel. Am I missing another part of the equation?

How would a slower rate of fire increase barrel wear or shortened life span of the rifle or barrel. As well, would not better rifles and barrels also fair better?

Please let me know what I'm missing?

I ask because I took these thoughts and applied them to my Glock 19 training gun. A new barrel is $150 bucks and I save at least $50 per case with Wolf vs. AE. Doesn't an OEM glock barrel have a life span greater than 3,000 rounds?
    Last edited by Alembic; 05-15-2018 at 05:38 PM.

As for heat- high temps (they had cool-offs, so they got HOT) wear barrels very quickly. The test schedule likely wasn’t an IV8888 meltdown, but it sounds much closer to that than the way most everyone shoots semi-auto ARs. As for barrel quality, higher quality barrels are likely more abrasion resistant.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Late edit- “they had cool-offs” should read cook-offs. Thermal initiation of primers takes a lot of heat- enough to cause greatly accelerated wear.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List